Review 2020 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Perkins please, big fan, enormous upside

Yes sir, grab him with our GWS pick....hopefully he's still available.

Love his decision making, speed, evasiveness and overhead marking for his size....and that penetrating kick.

And how about the way he moves the ball on without even blinking.

VIC METRO’S TOP 12 AFL 2020 DRAFT PROSPECTS

JAMARRA UGLE-HAGAN (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)

Key forward, 196cm, 85kg

The Western Bulldogs have hit the jackpot with first dibs on this talented youngster through their Next Generation Academy. Ugle-Hagan has been likened to Sydney superstar Lance Franklin and recruiters had expected him to dominate games in the NAB League this year after a brilliant bottom-age campaign in 2019.

While the 18-year-old has only been seen in practice matches this season due to COVID-19 restrictions in Victoria, Ugle-Hagan kicked 24 goals across nine NAB League games last season while also ranking elite for forward-50 marks (3.9 a game) and score involvements (six a game). Clubs have been reluctant to bid on Academy players early in the draft in the past. Will Adelaide buck the trend an put in a bid on Ugle-Hagan at Pick 1 this year? Time will tell.

WILL PHILLIPS (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)

Midfielder, 181cm, 79kg

The Chargers are becoming a real football factory and, like Ugle-Hagan, Phillips is also a very highly-rated prospect by many clubs this year. Considered one of the top midfielders in this year’s draft, the prolific ball-winner averaged 22 disposals, 4.3 clearances, 5.5 score involvements and 103 ranking points across 10 NAB League games last season. On the big stage in last year’s Grand Final, Phillips also rose to the occasion to kick two goals from 16 disposals, showing off his ability to also go forward.

A balanced player, Phillips can win the ball both on the inside and the outside of the contest, has burst speed and takes on leadership and responsibility to lift within games like few others do.

ARCHIE PERKINS (SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS)

Forward/midfielder, 185cm, 87kg

The Dragons prospect brings X-Factor as a forward who can also move through the midfield. Perkins has a great leap, strong endurance and serious speed. He has not been a high possession-winner as a forward but rarely wastes his touches of the footy, is a strong mark above his head and can break the lines.

From six NAB League games last season, Perkins averaged 14.2 disposals, 3.7 inside-50s, 5.7 score involvements and 1.3 goals. Given his endurance and bigger body, he had been expected to push for more midfield time as a top-age player this year.

REEF MCINNES (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)

Midfielder/forward/defender, 193cm, 86kg

A member of Collingwood’s Next Generation Academy, McInnes is one of the standout players in this year’s draft when it comes to versatility. He spent a significant amount of last season in defence for the Chargers, but also proved his ability when thrown into the midfield and moved forward at different stages.

A big-bodied player who can win the contested ball, has clean hands and is good in clearance situations when playing on-ball, opposition recruiters have little doubt the Magpies will secure McInnes one way or another early in the draft.

From 12 NAB League games last season, McInnes averaged 14.7 disposals, 3.9 marks, 3.1 tackles and 84 KFC SuperCoach points. He booted six goals for the season for Oakleigh, while also managing two majors in the Under-17 All Stars game on the MCG.

NIKOLAS COX (NORTHERN KNIGHTS)

Key defender/forward, 199cm, 82kg

An exciting key position prospect, Cox is rated as a likely first-round pick by some recruiters, but others have him a little bit further back. He is still a raw talent, but gave onlookers plenty to get excited about at different stages last season with his athleticism and versatility. Cox has been working on his speed and trying to at some muscle to his sizeable frame this year.

From 10 NAB League games last season, he averaged 12.5 disposals, 4.9 marks, 2.7 intercept possessions and 75 SuperCoach ranking points to rank as one of the best defenders in the competition. He also possesses leadership qualities and was voted in as a co-captain of the Knights this year.

BAILEY LAURIE (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)

Forward/midfielder/defender, 180cm, 75kg

Some recruiters are very bullish about Laurie, one believing he would be very high on the hit-lists of all 18 AFL clubs. Once a grunt midfielder in his earlier junior playing days, Laurie has developed into a multifaceted player who performed strongly as a high half-forward and midfielder for the Chargers last season.

He is considered to be a natural footballer who just “gets it” and is continuing to develop athletically. It’s his touch that is his X-Factor, though, as well as his ability to read the play and execute skills with class. Across seven NAB League games last year, Laurie averaged 15.3 disposals at elite efficiency of 76.6 per cent, as well as 3.1 marks, 3.6 tackles and 90 SuperCoach ranking points. He also kicked six goals, including two in the NAB League Grand Final.

FINLAY MACRAE (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)

Midfielder, 186cm, 72kg

A half-brother of Western Bulldogs midfielder Jack Macrae, the younger sibling is similar but different. While Jack racks up the ball with ease for the Bulldogs week-in, week-out, Finlay has to work a bit harder both playing forward and as a midfielder. But he did have an impact in the back half of last year.

Macrae performed well in the Under-17 All Stars game — a key measuring stick — and stepped up for the Chargers when it counted during their finals campaign, logging 22 disposals and a goal in a preliminary final. Across seven NAB League games, he averaged 16.9 disposals, 3.4 inside-50s and 4.3 score involvements. Recruiters like his stoppage craft and believe he has good football IQ, with his kicking efficiency the only question mark.

EDDIE FORD (WESTERN JETS)

Forward, 188cm, 79kg

He has a rock star name and has been trying to model his game on a genuine football star — dual Brownlow medallist Nat Fyfe. Ford asked Fremantle for vision of Fyfe and his work around packs this year so he can continue to work on his game despite not being able to get on the park for the Jets.

A good decision-maker and reader of the play who also boasts strong versatility and aerial ability, Ford played 16 NAB League games last season and averaged 14.1 disposals, 3.7 marks, 3.7 score involvements and 0.5 goals a game. He kicked two goals and had 20 disposals as one of the shining lights in the Under-17 All Stars game at the MCG last year — a game which recruiters are heavily scrutinising this year given the lack of football in Victoria.

CONNOR DOWNIE (EASTERN RANGES)

Midfielder/Defender, 186cm, 81kg

A member of Hawthorn’s Next Generation Academy given his mother is Chinese, Downie shapes as a likely type. A leader who was named as captain of the Ranges this year, Downie is a ball-winner with a good kick who can also go forward and kick goals. Downie played 14 NAB League games last season, averaging 16.4 disposals, 3.8 inside-50s, 82 SuperCoach points and 0.6 goals a game. He also played well in the Under-17 All Stars game at the MCG on AFL Grand Final day last year. The only real knock is his inside game, having recorded a low contested possession rate of just 35.4 per cent last season.

JAKE BOWEY (SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS)

Midfielder, 175cm, 65kg

A small and lightly framed midfielder, but a player who knows how to find the ball. Bowey is the son of former St Kilda rover Brett Bowey, who played 85 games for the Saints from 1988-94. Jake played 16 NAB League games last season, averaging 15.8 disposals, 2.9 inside-50s, 3.4 marks, 4.5 score involvements and 79 SuperCoach points while also booting four goals. Bowey trained with the Saints last summer and has speed and solid endurance. He also starred in the Under-17 All Stars game last year with 22 disposals to be recognised as one of the better players on the ground.

CONOR STONE (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)

Forward, 188cm, 82kg

There are some big wraps on Stone, who burst onto the scene by kicking five goals in his NAB League debut for the Chargers last year. A player with serious burst speed, he is considered a prospect with serious upside who likely would have shone brightly this year. Stone finished last season having played eight NAB League games, averaging 9.6 disposals, 2.9 marks, 4.8 score involvements and 1.4 goals a game. His debut match was not his only multiple-goal performance, having also booted two goals in a preliminary final against Sandringham.

CODY BRAND (CALDER CANNONS)

Key defender, 195cm, 84kg

A member of Essendon’s Next Generation Academy due to his Indigenous roots, the full-back and lifelong Essendon fan models his game on Bombers great Dustin Fletcher. Brand trained with Essendon last summer and has received coaching from Fletcher as part of the club’s James Hird Academy program and through his school football at Essendon Grammar, where Fletcher is backline coach.

Brand played 10 NAB League games for Calder last season, averaging 7.9 disposals, 2.2 marks, 4.1 intercept possessions and two spoils a game. He also showed his ability to be moved forward and kick goals at different stages, booting three goals in one game against Tasmania.

Eddie Ford is a good read & I hope The Saints pick up Jake Bowey for obvious reason's

One for Brad Crouch to Adelaide.
One for Joe Daniher to Essendon.
One for Zac Williams to GWS.

Potential band 3 compensation.
One for Rory Atkins to Adelaide.
One for Aidan Corr to GWS.
zac williams is after our gws pick
given bcrouch is ours you can’t count that

the one i referred to was daniher

Thought I’d do a bit of an experiment, mainly for conversations sake. Here’s my guess at the first round up to the finalists assuming Essendon get first round compo for Daniher and no other picks get traded (which obviously won’t be the case).

I’m definitely not an expert, mainly just looking for peoples thoughts on club needs and general rating of the prospects. Feel free to tear it apart.

1. Adelaide - Logan McDonald
  2. Western Bulldogs (NGA BID) - JUH
  3. North - Riley Thilthorpe
  4. Sydney - Will Phillips
  5. Hawthorn - Tanner Bruhn
  6. GCS - Elijah Hollands
  7. Essendon - Nathan O’Driscoll
  8. Essendon (FA Comp) - Denver G-B
  9. Carlton - Finlay Macrae
  10. Adelaide - Archie Perkins
  11. North - Heath Chapman
  12. Fremantle - Brayden Cook
  13. Collingwood (NGA BID) - Reef McInnes
  14. Geelong - Caleb Poulter

I think crows will take Riley Thilthorpe. Ruckl/forward for when Tex retires and a SA product.
You think a bid for Brayden Campbell will come outside the top 10? Interesting.

Campbell was definitely an oversight, had him in, moved him and forgot to put him back. Probably fits in around that 9-11 range I reckon.

I just can't see Thilthorpe as a number 1 pick. Compared to Mcdonald I don't think he's even come close in terms of output at state league level against mature bodies and I think the SA link is easy to make but the Crows would be negligent to allow that to be the deciding factor on a number 1 draft pick. Riley O'Brien is a gun ruckman who can comfortably be their number one for the foreseeable future and I'd be comfortable with Himmelberg playing second fiddle.

Campbell was definitely an oversight, had him in, moved him and forgot to put him back. Probably fits in around that 9-11 range I reckon.

I just can't see Thilthorpe as a number 1 pick. Compared to Mcdonald I don't think he's even come close in terms of output at state league level against mature bodies and I think the SA link is easy to make but the Crows would be negligent to allow that to be the deciding factor on a number 1 draft pick. Riley O'Brien is a gun ruckman who can comfortably be their number one for the foreseeable future and I'd be comfortable with Himmelberg playing second fiddle.

Don’t be surprised if some smokies come out of QLD seeing they had a full season of footy and all clubs eyes in state.

Reckon there will be a few bolters as heap of 18/19 year olds played seniors throughout entire competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does everyone think of the new rule changes ie moving back to 20 minute quarters , reducing rotations to 75 per game, will that change the focus on the type of player drafted this year ie from a fast burst player to one with more stamina

What does everyone think of the new rule changes ie moving back to 20 minute quarters , reducing rotations to 75 per game, will that change the focus on the type of player drafted this year ie from a fast burst player to one with more stamina
I doubt it would really change any plans. The introduction of shorter quarters was only done this year - so after previous drafts - and was only even seen as short term, so I doubt any recruiters had changed their criteria looking at the 2020 kids.

Didn't think it was worthy of its own thread but here is a very very casual draft watchers top 20. THis is not where I think players will land, just how I see them. I'm a sucker for a Key Position player as well.

1. Will Phillips: Matt Rowell mirror. Can use both feet very well, built well. Good mark for his size and can go forward. See a 250 game player in him. Size and lack of game time this year are the only 2 negatives.
2. Logan McDonald: Thought he was hugely impressive
3. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
4. Denver Grainger-Barras: Intercept defenders are so valuable and by reports
5. Elijah Hollands: Has potential as a 188cm mid/fwd but the knee injury is a bad thing. Reminds me of De Goey and like De Goey, I'm not sure on his midfield capacity, at least early career.
6. Nathan O'Driscoll: Posted some good combine stats. Wasn't amazing at WAFL level but has good size and think he is being underrated.
7. Nic Cox: Elite endurance and great versatility. Didn't play this year and probably will take a few years to get going but can see him being a very good key forward. Hope we can nab him with our first pick.
8. Braeden Campbell: Don't know a lot about him besides watching last years futures game where he was very good.
9. Riley Thillthorpe: Tall forward/Ruck and a great field kick. Think Nic Cox ranks as the better 200cm prospect out of the two though.
10. Alex Davies: Im a sucker for a 190cm mid. Basketball background as well. Think he may be a type which isn't amazing straight away but really comes into his own later.
11. Archie Perkins: Mid/Fwd who was good for Sandringham last year. Some great combine stats and good size makes him seem like an enticing prospect.
12. Zac Reid: Don't know a lot about him but like what I have read. A 200cm Key Defender is becoming important due to the size of opposition key forwards (Like your Kings & others) which is the reason I'm so high on him, even without seeing him much.
13. Sam Berry: Bumped up due to an interview I heard of him today on SEN. Absolutely love how he spoke and he seems to have a great attitude. Good tackler and loves the hardball. Think he will be a very handy player.
14. Jackson Callow: Great mark and seemed to be good below his knees in the limited footage I have seen.
15. Lachlan Jones: Seems to be a good user and a very handy player off half back. Probably plays for 10 years doing that role.
16. Reef McInnes: Love his potential but is far from a finished product. Very quick off the mark but had a shocking 2km time which will need to be improved if he is to cut it at AFL level. Hope he can slide past our first 2 picks, but that seems unlikely.
17. Tanner Bruhn: Seems to be pretty low compared to how others rate him. Seems quite weak for an inside mid but that can be addressed with a few pre-seasons. Will be a consistent type and maybe this is a bit low but think others before him have more potential.
18. Eddie Ford: Think he has good potential as a forward. Seems to be able to make a fast impact on the game. Hope Collingwood can nab him as well.
19. Heath Chapman: Don't know a lot about him but a tween defender it appears. Could be a nice handy 3rd tall type.
20. Kaine Baldwin: Probably higher if not for the injury by all reports. A tad undersized for a Key Forward nowadays but don't think that should be an issue if he has a taller forward to play off.

Generally I'm also high on state leaguers, having rated Riccardi in my top 10 last year and Partington in my top 20 but I don't know anything about any of them this year so just opted to avoid all together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back