Review 2020 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft hub is up for 2020

apparentely Sydney community sports has been told to stop , what does this mean for the Sydney AFL season

NSW Health has told community sporting organisations that they can no longer mix with different regions, and must stop zone, regional or state championships or competitions from tomorrow.

They must also stop any activities that result in overnight stays and social activities such as award ceremonies, and avoid car pools. At local activities, spectators should be limited to one parent only.

The new rules begin on Wednesday, and are expected to last six weeks, the letter to community organisations from Chief Medical Officer Kerry Chant said.

Inter-regional activities included those that brought participants from organisations in different regions of Sydney, from a rural area into a metro area, and movement between different rural areas.

apparentely Sydney community sports has been told to stop , what does this mean for the Sydney AFL season

NSW Health has told community sporting organisations that they can no longer mix with different regions, and must stop zone, regional or state championships or competitions from tomorrow.

They must also stop any activities that result in overnight stays and social activities such as award ceremonies, and avoid car pools. At local activities, spectators should be limited to one parent only.

The new rules begin on Wednesday, and are expected to last six weeks, the letter to community organisations from Chief Medical Officer Kerry Chant said.

Inter-regional activities included those that brought participants from organisations in different regions of Sydney, from a rural area into a metro area, and movement between different rural areas.
Sounds like Sydney AFL should be fine with all those teams being from the same region. If it stops those kids still have better exposure than the Vic kids

2 bolters went head to head in the SANFL under 18's on the weekend. Caleb Poulter having 28 and 1.1, elite kick of the ball. However Brayden Cook came off the winner with 22 and 5.5, is extremely dangerous in the air and has found a place up forward. Noteable mention, Tom Powell once again on fire with 39 and 1.2.

There's more KP options up the top end than last year, should see at peast 7 taken top 20
And as we saw last year in the back end of the first round and early to mid section of the second round, clubs will “reach” for second and third tier tall prospects to fill a list need.

That might be the biggest impact upon this years draft. Clubs not knowing how much the Vic talls outside the top tier have improved.

Josh Treacy, Henry Walsh, Ollie Lord and Max Heath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

any news on NSW footy, looking at their website message , they are as confused as everyone
Am hearing that there will be a minimum amount of 18 yr Olds will be drafted this year , the reason being is that the AFL could well be in hubs early next year and clubs are worried about another Taylor (Sydney) situation where a young person is going to struggle with the isolation instead of being in the normal support family. With list numbers probably being reduced it may be a quick draft

Am hearing that there will be a minimum amount of 18 yr Olds will be drafted this year , the reason being is that the AFL could well be in hubs early next year and clubs are worried about another Taylor (Sydney) situation where a young person is going to struggle with the isolation instead of being in the normal support family. With list numbers probably being reduced it may be a quick draft
Don’t know where you’ve heard that but it’s not correct.

Don’t know where you’ve heard that but it’s not correct.
There was a discussion at training last night and one parent said that clubs only may take only 2 18 yr Olds as they are worried they may lack the maturity to cope and clubs can't afford the huge penalty that was handled out to Sydney

There was a discussion at training last night and one parent said that clubs only may take only 2 18 yr Olds as they are worried they may lack the maturity to cope and clubs can't afford the huge penalty that was handled out to Sydney
Unless you're hearing it from the horses mouth I'd be really sceptical, a lot of people just talk out their ass

I think it may be the opposite with drafts and trades very active this year. Clubs have never had their lists exposed as they have this year. So a lot of clubs may make more changes as players have had opportunities this year and some clearly not up to standard so you may see more clubs taking a punt at draft where kids haven’t had chances.

I see clubs like Collingwood , Hawthorn etc having major changes and exits to their lists.

I think it may be the opposite with drafts and trades very active this year. Clubs have never had their lists exposed as they have this year. So a lot of clubs may make more changes as players have had opportunities this year and some clearly not up to standard so you may see more clubs taking a punt at draft where kids haven’t had chances.

I see clubs like Collingwood , Hawthorn etc having major changes and exits to their lists.
Remember lists sizes are coming down too, I don't think people realise the effect the Taylor incident had on the AFL community especially the northern states, if it's a line ball decision between academy kids they may go for the kid who is more mature which opens the door for the Revilles and Barlings that previously had no hope. The top 40 will still be ok but the goal post have moved for the others unfortunately

Remember lists sizes are coming down too, I don't think people realise the effect the Taylor incident had on the AFL community especially the northern states, if it's a line ball decision between academy kids they may go for the kid who is more mature which opens the door for the Revilles and Barlings that previously had no hope. The top 40 will still be ok but the goal post have moved for the others unfortunately
I doubt it has that type of impact on us.

And unless we trade out one or both of our first rounders, and end up with later picks, it’s doubtful we draft any academy kid this year. And if we do, it will be Blake Coleman.

I doubt it has that type of impact on us.

And unless we trade out one or both of our first rounders, and end up with later picks, it’s doubtful we draft any academy kid this year. And if we do, it will be Blake Coleman.
I would say after seeing the last academy game though not live , Reville has a good chance of getting picked up somewhere. He was a man against boys. With half the draft pool not playing this year , maturity is a prized asset. I know for a fact some of the 19 yr old NSW players have been getting huge attention so it may be worth the draft top 50 compilers consider ING chucking a few in there like Coleman's brother last year

I would say after seeing the last academy game though not live , Reville has a good chance of getting picked up somewhere. He was a man against boys. With half the draft pool not playing this year , maturity is a prized asset. I know for a fact some of the 19 yr old NSW players have been getting huge attention so it may be worth the draft top 50 compilers consider ING chucking a few in there like Coleman's brother last year

There's a few Sydney Academy 19 year olds I like, Gaden showed a lot of quality last year and if not for injury could have been drafted, Barling is an interesting prospect and even though Thorne is a little small, he is also an interesting prospect, Reville could be an option for clubs looking for an outside mid at Brisbane Academy, Josh Gore is a good small forward who i thought was very unlucky not to be drafted, off the top of my head those 5 stand out as 19 year olds from the northern academies that clubs might be doing homework on.

The Elijah Taylor incident has nothing to do with not taking kids because of covid. She was living in Perth and he was back home in Perth, that’s what caused the incident.

List sizes aren’t confirmed coming down yet as first reported to 35-38. If they do, they’ll Trim a few rookie spots. AFLPA aren’t going to allow the afl to make massive changes after what the players have done for the game this year. The clubs aren’t going to change their whole drafting process because of one kids decisions, and mind you that kid was already considered a higher risk draftee because of off field stuff.

Last edited:
List sizes aren’t confirmed coming down yet as first reported to 35-38. If they do, they’ll Trim a few rookie spots. AFLPA aren’t going to allow the afl to make massive changes after what the players have done for the game this year. The clubs aren’t going to change their whole drafting process because of one kids decisions, and mind you that kid was already considered a higher risk draftee because of off field stuff.
It wasn’t because of off field stuff, and the connotations that usually implies.

It was because he was viewed as a possible go home risk and if he could cope being away from family and community.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back