2020 Formula One

Remove this Banner Ad

There are some fascinating gaps (literal and otherwise) between teammates today. Stroll wilted, Vettel is just not able to live with Leclerc and Hamilton was far too quick for Bottas. Albon is left trailing in Verstappen's wake.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

There are some fascinating gaps (literal and otherwise) between teammates today. Stroll wilted, Vettel is just not able to live with Leclerc and Hamilton was far too quick for Bottas. Albon is left trailing in Verstappen's wake.

Gasly spanked Kvyat too.

With better designed cars, there would be a few spots to overtake. Not to mention there was more wheel to wheel driving than you would see at other tracks
Maybe, except we are locked into the same cars for 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh. Interesting first few laps then normal service restored.

Somehow I can't wait for the new rules and spending caps in 2022.
Why do you think it will be any different to now?
Merc are already doing work on next years car so they can do work on 2022 cars next year while the cap isn't in place

Why do you think it will be any different to now?
Merc are already doing work on next years car so they can do work on 2022 cars next year while the cap isn't in place

Because of the spending cap. The same leading teams will probably start the new era ahead of everyone else, but hopefully the pack will start to even out over time. It will never be completely even of course, that is the nature of an open development series. But you'd think that every team is placing the maximum they can on the new car development. Next year will be a sideshow. It was supposed to be 2021 of course but Covid has meant a 1 year delay.

Because of the spending cap. The same leading teams will probably start the new era ahead of everyone else, but hopefully the pack will start to even out over time. It will never be completely even of course, that is the nature of an open development series. But you'd think that every team is placing the maximum they can on the new car development. Next year will be a sideshow. It was supposed to be 2021 of course but Covid has meant a 1 year delay.
Merc made the decision about 4 races ago to stop upgrading this year's car so they could focus on next years while other teams are busy trying to close the gap to this year's Merc they are doing development on next years, so next year they can spend as much as they like without worrying about cap restrictions on the 2022 car.
Anyone thinking that Merc will come back to the pack after 2022 is in for a shock

Merc made the decision about 4 races ago to stop upgrading this year's car so they could focus on next years while other teams are busy trying to close the gap to this year's Merc they are doing development on next years, so next year they can spend as much as they like without worrying about cap restrictions on the 2022 car.
Anyone thinking that Merc will come back to the pack after 2022 is in for a shock

I'm not expecting a radical change in the first season. Just that they will not be so far ahead as to make the season as boring as it is now. Other teams have deep pockets too and will be throwing their resources into the new car. The also-rans will still be also-rans in 2022, but a few of the mid pack teams with deep pockets will be relatively better. This year has been pretty s**t from a racing POV. I have enjoyed the Indycar road courses (ovals suck), Jap Super Formula and F2 more this year than F1.

Having just watched the IndyCar season finale, I'm wondering what, if any, Indy tracks would make good F1 venues.

St. Petersburg looks like it could be fun.

1024px-St._Petersburg_street_&_airport_racing_circuit.svg.png

First dozen laps or so were great, with moves throughout the race. How does F1 make that level of action last an 'entire' race?

What led to the significant differences in track speeds early on? McLaren 3 seconds faster than everyone in one lap, before the Mercs caught up (and surpassed). Bottas streets Hamilton, before returning to normal transmission.

Ocon going 50 laps on Meds, others lasted just 30. Performance of runners changed during the course of the race itself.

Is it just tire temps and degradation? Newly sealed (slippery) track? Or just a lack of data/testing time?

Agree DRS was slightly overpowered - would prefer if the effect was shortened by about two car lengths so moves were completed at the turn, not before they arrived.

I've said for a while, there needs to be more differentiation between tires - using softs should force a 2, maybe even 3 stop race, Hards required to even consider a 1 stop. (Soft = 25% race distance, Medium 40%, Hard 55%). SMM doesn't require any tyre management, but MH does, whilst SM is running down to the rims.

If you are losing ~25s a pitstop, that means for most tracks there needs to be 1 second per lap difference in each tyre to warrant different strategies.

And rightly so. How many rookies went toe to toe with a reigning champ (who most posters regard as one of the best of his generation) and matched them?

Funnily enough, Alonso himself has spoken highly of Hamilton's ability to win even in cars that weren't great. 2009 and 2013 for example.

His peers hold him in high regard, including former world champions who know what it takes to be a multiple champion, and yet the doubters are never satisfied. I've lost track of comments about how the car does all of the work, and yet, this can arguably apply to every champion. The best drivers and teams tend to attract one another (unless you're Alonso, in which case you seem to repel them).

Cool story bro.

Hamilton has vetoed riccatdio joining him.vettel has vetoed riccatdio joining ferrari
Red bull pushed him out because of thier secon generation golden boy.

Having just watched the IndyCar season finale, I'm wondering what, if any, Indy tracks would make good F1 venues.

St. Petersburg looks like it could be fun.

I reckon Mid-Ohio and Road America (Wisconsin) would be good. They'd need a bit of work to remove some of the concrete barriers that are too close and improve the run-off areas.

Cool story bro.

Hamilton has vetoed riccatdio joining him.vettel has vetoed riccatdio joining ferrari
Red bull pushed him out because of thier secon generation golden boy.
Danny is also disadvantaged by the fact that he's Australian. The teams tend to favour either European drivers or non-Europeans with coin (or a rich daddy). Even Webber was second fiddle to Vettel in Red Bull.

Nothing new about potential number 2 drivers being veteod. Even Senna vetoed Derek Warwick as a number 2 at Lotus and instead an untried Scottish Earl was chosen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back