List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Every year recruiters tell us they compile a list based on talent and pick the highest name left on their list, yet every year people melt because we don't draft to perceived needs.

Must be exhausting

Every year recruiters tell us they compile a list based on talent and pick the highest name left on their list, yet every year people melt because we don't draft to perceived needs.

Must be exhausting

I think the lack of another genuine KPD is a glaring need no matter what your footy IQ is.
I suspect they might have decided to rookie the mature age guy from Footscray with the long name ?
The little I saw of him , he went ok .

We got the best key defender in the draft? I’d be very surprised if with his skill set Darcy doesn’t settle in defence. If he does excel forward which let’s be honest is rare at the next level for players his height, then Naughty would have to go back anyway as Jamarra would be a lock.

not sure why the concern. A key defender, intercepting defender and quick outside wing/fwd fit our relatively minor needs perfectly

I think the lack of another genuine KPD is a glaring need no matter what your footy IQ is.
I suspect they might have decided to rookie the mature age guy from Footscray with the long name ?

Bailey Van De Heuvel?

Going for Quad Baileys?

I like the kid, but I'm not sure he's there yet compared to some of the other guys available...

We got the best key defender in the draft? I’d be very surprised if with his skill set Darcy doesn’t settle in defence. If he does excel forward which let’s be honest is rare at the next level for players his height, then Naughty would have to go back anyway as Jamarra would be a lock.

not sure why the concern. A key defender, intercepting defender and quick outside wing/fwd fit our relatively minor needs perfectly
Still think the club sees English as a number 1 ruckman and not a forward which leaves Naughton, JUH and potentially Darcy (as a possible swingman) forward

Yes , If they think he can slot in year one ,we can all chill out.

Pretty sure both Charlie Dean and Pegoraro (spelling) from WA as mature types didn't get taken int he main draft.
We'll definitely take on a rookie so perhaps we'll grab a tallish defender then?
Let's not forget there is every chance that Sam Darcy starts his career as a defender as well and Schache looks like he may swing back if need be too.

Pretty sure both Charlie Dean and Pegoraro (spelling) from WA as mature types didn't get taken int he main draft.
We'll definitely take on a rookie so perhaps we'll grab a tallish defender then?
Let's not forget there is every chance that Sam Darcy starts his career as a defender as well and Schache looks like he may swing back if need be too.
I’ve got Faith Schache can become a good intercept defender. But we need another mature age lockdown defender. We need to move on from Cordy.

Love reading all of the articles the day after the draft proclaiming who the winners and losers were, as if anybody has the slightest clue at this stage. According to Fox Sports, Melbourne, West Coast and Fremantle nabbed the biggest 'steals' with Bazzo, Howes and Johnson.

A quick search of what the experts previously proclaimed as draft day 'steals' include the likes of Connor Blakely, Jayden Laverde, Hugh Goddard, Harley Balic, Rhys Mathieson, Charlie Constable and Nathan Murphy. It's almost like these players are picked up later than some expect for a reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two observations:
1. Schache might play ok in defence but his lack of closing speed/burst pace concerns me. I don’t think he’s the answer on his own and would prefer him in the forward half or as a link tall. unless it’s going to be Darcy I think we are still one developing KPD short. Is young Croft a KPD prospect?
2. This year’s draft trio is a dud crop. No late birthdays. Darcy is the youngest player on our list. He was born the day after Jones. Let’s hope we rookie somebody with a December birthday.

Dean, Pegoraro and Schenslog all available as mature KPD depth if we are interested, but the club will not bother if they don't meet the talent, development and character criteria that we set for new draftees.

We should have a few available rookie spots today - although we may keep some for the pre-season and mid season intake.

We also have Tim O'Brien who was pretty solid as a tall defender last year and Buku Khamis looked pretty good, may well be a viable option with another preseason under his belt.

That' leaves us with Keath', Gardner, OBrien, Cordy, Khamis, Schache , Darcy and Cleary as tall defender options, with Naughton still a possibility if things get desperate.

Love reading all of the articles the day after the draft proclaiming who the winners and losers were, as if anybody has the slightest clue at this stage. According to Fox Sports, Melbourne, West Coast and Fremantle nabbed the biggest 'steals' with Bazzo, Howes and Johnson.

A quick search of what the experts previously proclaimed as draft day 'steals' include the likes of Connor Blakely, Jayden Laverde, Hugh Goddard, Harley Balic, Rhys Mathieson, Charlie Constable and Nathan Murphy. It's almost like these players are picked up later than some expect for a reason.
Yeah it is ridiculous.
As if the combined knowledge and experience of the 18 clubs draft departments is inferior to a couple of random draft watchers and the players who slide don't slide for a reason.

I really believe for a long tilt at finals we have depth at most positions except KPD. Keathy is 30 and that important, take him out of the team and there is currently no one close to his skill set.
Gardner and Cordy don't even come close to replacing keathy, and young Sammy needs time to bulk up.

Last edited:

Add to that the lack of exposed form at top level junior footy and it’s even more a lottery than usual.

Media commentators gush over every pick because that’s what the readers love to see about their club’s latest selection but about half of the 65 kids drafted will end up with little or no AFL career. Especially those taken after the second round.

More than most years, this year’s draft will find out who are the good drafters … or who just got lucky.

It appears from the outside that pick 61 would have been sufficient for Jones or perhaps even a rookie spot. Our recruiters must have had wind that other clubs were interested and might have beaten us to the punch. Hopefully, we haven't paid overs but we should have faith in Power and Co to know what they're doing.
Yeah I'm happy to back in the recruiters to take the players they want where they want - but in hindsight it would have been nice to do the trade with Collingwood that Geelong did and secure an extra 2022 3rd round pick. Surely Jones would have been available at 47.

Yeah I'm happy to back in the recruiters to take the players they want where they want - but in hindsight it would have been nice to do the trade with Collingwood that Geelong did and secure an extra 2022 3rd round pick. Surely Jones would have been available at 47.
In the podcast he did a little while back Arthur let slip that Collingwood had called him so were definitely one of the clubs interested.
Dododo (apparently) said this morning that Essendon wanted him too (Dodoro apparently threw his highlighter down when we called out Jones' name).

I think it's easy to get a bit cute at the draft and I'm happy we just took him.

Dododo (apparently) said this morning that Essendon wanted him too (Dodoro apparently threw his highlighter down when we called out Jones' name).

Then his selection is already justified.

Loved how we bid on Fahey as well with the same pick. Up yours GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back