Opinion 2021 fixture I'd like to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

34? play the other 17 teams once at home, once away

I'd like to see all Cats home games in Geelong, if the season got expanded then the AFL could easily fill it's 45 games at Marvel and the MCG without us.

I'd like to see this, but players struggle with 22 rounds + finals as it is, let alone 34 rounds. You'd have to expand lists and manage players better, keeping track of how many games each player has been playing.

Maybe have two divisions. Division 1 is top 12 teams from last season, 22 rounds + finals, the usual. 13th-18th is division two, 20 rounds, no finals, rings and trophy for division two winner.

Top two or three teams from division two playoff against the bottom two or three teams in best of three playoffs. Yes, division one plays a couple more games, possibly giving division two teams an advantage, but 20 rounds in division two instead of 10 reduce the advantage they might have of being "fresher" than their opponents.

Or two divisions of 9 teams but you can't have a Victorian division because they have the advantage of not travelling all season.

So have five Victorian sides in one division and five in the other, rotating them. Have two WA and SA sides in one division, two QLD and NSW sides in another.

That's 16 rounds if everyone plays each other twice, make the remaining 8 rounds against sides from the other division at neutral venues.

You could change up the interstate pairings as long as two teams from the same state remain in the division. That way, West Coast gets to play Sydney in Perth sometimes etc instead of those games being in QLD or Tassie.

Last edited:

I'd like to see this, but players struggle with 22 rounds + finals as it is, let alone 34 rounds. You'd have to expand lists and manage players better, keeping track of how many games each player has been playing.
There's no easy answer here. 34 games could be done in 30 weeks, plus 4 weeks for finals. 34 weeks is first weekend of Feb to last weekend of Oct. Keep track of the number of games played by each player is pretty easy really. Expanded list comes into AFL reserves territory which is where we're heading with the VFL/NEAFL merge.

Maybe have two divisions. Division 1 is top 12 teams from last season, 22 rounds + finals, the usual. 13th-18th is division two, 20 rounds, no finals, rings and trophy for division two winner.

Top two or three teams from division two playoff against the bottom two or three teams in best of three playoffs. Yes, division one plays a couple more games, possibly giving division two teams an advantage, but 20 rounds in division two instead of 10 reduce the advantage they might have of being "fresher" than their opponents.

If you go 2 divisions, surely you'd go 24 teams. Both divisions have 12 teams each. bottom 4/top 4 respectively switch each year to keep it fresh.

There's no easy answer here. 34 games could be done in 30 weeks, plus 4 weeks for finals. 34 weeks is first weekend of Feb to last weekend of Oct. Keep track of the number of games played by each player is pretty easy really. Expanded list comes into AFL reserves territory which is where we're heading with the VFL/NEAFL merge.

If you go 2 divisions, surely you'd go 24 teams. Both divisions have 12 teams each. bottom 4/top 4 respectively switch each year to keep it fresh.

Yeah, it's doable.

As for my suggestion, you don't necessarily need divisions, double-up games can occur later in the season; ensure there are 8 times where everyone plays each other twice. Every Victorian side that plays a certain interstate side plays a return fixture against them. Games between teams that play each other once can be at a neutral venue. So, 24 rounds.

Essentially, if Richmond is scheduled to play the Eagles twice, it'd be once in Perth, once, at the G. If they are scheduled to play each other once, it'd be at a neutral ground like Adelaide Oval. Victorian teams scheduled to play each other once would still travel interstate to ensure that they are flying an equal number of times than their interstate counterparts. And yes, all Geelong home games would be at their ground.

Last edited:
Essentially, if Richmond is scheduled to play the Eagles twice, it'd be once in Perth, once, at the G. If they are scheduled to play each other once, it'd be at a neutral ground like Adelaide Oval. Victorian teams scheduled to play each other once would still travel interstate to ensure that they are flying an equal number of times than their interstate counterparts. And yes, all Geelong home games would be at their ground.
Take games away from the members? Seems a strange decision to me.

Take games away from the members? Seems a strange decision to me.

Yes, I suppose. I guess there's no way to have a fair fixture unless everyone plays each other twice or if you keep Victorian sides to only playing each other once, but then Geelong and Marvel tenants make that arrangement lopsided, too.

Yes, I suppose. I guess there's no way to have a fair fixture unless everyone plays each other twice or if you keep Victorian sides to only playing each other once, but then Geelong and Marvel tenants make that arrangement lopsided, too.
Reality is, it'll never be perfect. Striving for perfect is a futile effort. Gotta go for manageable and in reach. Which means a proper H+A fixture.

Melbourne teams will always travel less due to proximity. Unless you start removing teams and making each geographical region have an equal number, it'll never change.

Bulldogs-Collingwood or Bulldogs-Essendon round 1 would be nice.
Brisbane-Port round 1 would be huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 is apparently Easter this year coming.

Wednesday night - Richmond v Carlton (MCG)
Thursday night - Brisbane v Gold Coast (Gabba)
Good Friday twilight - North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs (Marvel)
Easter Saturday day - Essendon v Melbourne (Marvel)
Easter Saturday twilight - Sydney v GWS (SCG)
Easter Saturday night - Collingwood v St. Kilda (MCG)
Easter Sunday day - Adelaide v Port Adelaide (Adelaide Oval)
Easter Sunday twilight - West Coast v Fremantle (Optus)
Easter Monday day - Geelong v Hawthorn (MCG)

Bulldogs-Collingwood or Bulldogs-Essendon round 1 would be nice.
Brisbane-Port round 1 would be huge.
The AFL will be a pack of tnucs and make Good Friday Dogs vs Dons rather than Dogs North.
If the AFL were smart they would ensure Dogs v Pies is a Thursday or Friday night game.

Popcorn worthy, I can't wait.

If we start the season late march like usual Easter round will be round 3.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel the Lions V Bombers for Easter Thursday would work big crowd we’re likely to play again late in the season as well because of the 20 year anniversary of the 2001 GF

If the AFL were smart they would ensure Dogs v Pies is a Thursday or Friday night game.

Popcorn worthy, I can't wait.
Both teams have been pushing for a Round 1 fixture against each other for a few years now. They scrapped it immediately the year after we had a crap year and went through a mini rebuild, even though they should have persisted.

This years opener also doesn't help their case but then again they've kept Richmond Carlton going forever even though its been one sided for as long as I can remember.

You do realise that if the first thing occurs (Victoria gets another COVID wave) that the second thing wouldn't occur (more open travel, particularly with WA).
we can have another season where the same people that tell us money is the most important thing in the universe to the afl - try and fail miserably to explain why games are being played in empty stadiums all year (whilst geelong - collingwood on a midweek night in miserable weather gets 23000 in perth)

all these poor vic clubs could have been playing each other at leederville and joondalup in front of paying fans at very little cost - they would have just as likely nade more money with 5000 there as they do with 20000 with their shitty etihad deals.

I’ll repeat my suggestion from every version of this thread. The fairest system is:

- rounds 1-17: everyone plays each other once
- rounds 18-22 are a floating/flexible fixture where matchups are decided by Swiss pairings (ie; 1v2, 3v4, 5v6 etc)
- ideally teams also drop out and stop playing once eliminated from finals contention.

This system (Used in chess and a variety of othemakes every ‘duplicate’ game late in the season have maximum impact. It means spots in the finals are determined by beating other teams on the edge of finals, and top 4 spots are decided by beating Other top 4 teams - which is how it should be.

It’s also flexible if (god forbid) we lose a round or two - the system works just as well for 20 or 21 rounds if it comes to that...

With the amount of Hawks likely to attend might as well have it at KP this year.

If we ever go end up having to go the divisions route then it’s got to be the interstate clubs and Geelong.

Then you can have your Melbourne 9.

Play your division twice both home and away. To add to this play your opposition division once a year rotating the home advantage and away disadvantage every second year. 25 game season and totally fair over a two year stretch.

Count it as one ladder though because the AFLW 2019 season was a disaster with teams undeservedly making finals. I think my own side may have been one that benefitted from this but I can’t remember.

I think its going to be another 17 game season again. I dont mind the footymania thing with 1 game being played everyday mid season.

Loved the 17 game season, went right down to the wire in terms of top 4 and top 8.

Sure beats a 23 game season with a lop-sided draw distorting teams chances to make finals, and the last 4 rounds of the year seeing a series of pointless games against bottom 4 finishers.

Due to the spread out season I actually watched more games this year than I did in 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back