2021 - Make generational change

In 2020 with the undulation, inconsistencies and our current form we have an opportunity to take a big dose of medicine. A reality we've avoided like the plauge for too long.

We have two firsts this year so if we can have two top 10 picks it'd somewhat soften the blow.

For the remainder of the year I would like to see us take a kids get first crack approach.

To that end last night we should have played Durdin or McKay over Campbell.

Use the rest of 20 to see who has it and who does not. Cycle the whole list.

Do not misconstrue this to be advocating tanking. It's not. We need to find out who takes us forward and who does not. There will be losses we need to weather for this.

Make tough calls on those not up to it at the end of the year.

To that end all senior players need to be ready for day 1 of preseason. If this means surgery early, do that.

Leadership moving forward.

We have senior players who we are not going to drive huge improvement from. Improvement for the list is going to come from kids and new draftees.

To that end, so long as this year is consistent for him, gradually over the next 11 rounds transition Jy into the Captains role.

Jack, I've loved the way you've gone about it. You've smashed your body for this club. But I want you to have the ability to be fit and focus on your game.

Taz you're a warrior, I thought you were forked a few times, I'm glad I was wrong. You'd be a fitting captain, however much like with Dish I think we need to move to a younger captain in the same way we moved it from Boomer to Spitta.

Jy you are clearly driven to get better. I want you to take that and drive all of our kids to do the same.
It's a weight and you gotta want it, step into it and own it.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In 2020 with the undulation, inconsistencies and our current form we have an opportunity to take a big dose of medicine. A reality we've avoided like the plauge for too long.

We have two firsts this year so if we can have two top 10 picks it'd somewhat soften the blow.

For the remainder of the year I would like to see us take a kids get first crack approach.

Do not misconstrue this to be advocating tanking. It's not. We need to find out who takes us forward and who does not. There will be losses we need to weather for this.

To that end all senior players need to be ready for day 1 of preseason. If this means surgery early, do that.

We have senior players who we are not going to drive huge improvement from. Improvement for the list is going to come from kids and new draftees.

To that end, so long as this year is consistent for him, gradually over the next 11 rounds transition Jy into the Captains role.

Jack, I've loved the way you've gone about it. You've smashed your body for this club. But I want you to have the ability to be fit and focus on your game.

Taz you're a warrior, I thought you were forked a few times, I'm glad I was wrong. You'd be a fitting captain, however much like with Dish I think we need to move to a younger captain in the same way we moved it from Boomer to Spitta.

Jy you are clearly driven to get better. I want you to take that and drive all of our kids to do the same.

Have either of McKay or Durdin been playing forward at all over the preseason or during the scratch matches?

Have either of McKay or Durdin been playing forward at all over the preseason or during the scratch matches?
Had Luke been tagging in the midfield up until a couple of weeks ago?

Broadly the forward situation doesn't get better until Maj or Larkey can play.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Melbourne 2009 is what tanking looks like. They played experienced best 18 guys stupidly out of position (McLean playing FF out of the goalsquare, Paul Johnson and James McDonald in defense examples of this). We don't need to do this.

Couldn't agree more that we need to see what some guys are made of before making some big decisions about their future with the club. Durdin, Mckay, Murphy, Bonar, Crocker and Hosie are guys that come to mind. Play them in their preferred positions and if they don't show anything then we need to move them on.

Doing this will naturally lead to losing more games than we'd usually win but that's fine. Short term pain for long term gain.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Time to try this. What have we got to lose. Season is shot for most clubs. Us particularly.

4 blokes have had a good 6 games. Goldy, Jy, Taz, Walker. 4.

We have to keep playing Taylor, Hayden, Mahony, Xerri, Scott, Bonar.

Hopefully Hosie, Walker, Comben, Murphy, Crocker, Perez get a go

Wrap LDU in cotton wool.

Please Scamper, Brady - nail those top ten picks.

Another year or two of mediocrity ? Sponsors, membership, t.v. exposure, crowds, gate takings. Post covid world might see us fade into the distance.

Time to try this. What have we got to lose.
Or play them down back and move Walker forward.

Point being we're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole playing a ruckman forward.

We have swingmen on the list who should be playing for their careers.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Time to try this. What have we got to lose. Season is shot for most clubs. Us particularly.

Wrap LDU in cotton wool.

Another year or two of mediocrity ? Sponsors, membership, t.v. exposure, crowds, gate takings. Post covid world might see us fade into the distance.

No point wrapping LDU in cotton wool. He’s playing scratch matches so as soon as he’s up to it he plays in the seniors imo

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Wrap LDU in cotton wool.

I don’t agree that LDU needs to be wrapped in cotton wool, he needs to be playing games of footy. Sure if he isn’t 100% don’t play him, but right now he needs as many games as possible so he can hit the ground runnning in 2021.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jack or Taz will be Captain next year. It would be idiotic to hand Jy the Captaincy at this stage of his development.

He just needs to focus of his footy, not be lumped with the burden of captaining what will become a developing team. Having the responsibility of Captaincy could really detract from him being able to concentrate on developing himself.

Carey was the exception, not the rule.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Simpkin as a Captain of our club yes I like that.

Carey was the exception, not the rule.

Clearly it's not a rule given its been just shy of 30 years since Carey was appointed captain and we've not done remotely similar since.

Some relish leadership, let's spend the rest of the year finding out where that sits with Jy.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Clearly it's not a rule given its been just shy of 30 years since Carey was appointed captain and we've not done remotely similar since.

Some relish leadership, let's spend the rest of the year finding out where that sits with Jy.
That sounds ridiculous.

Giving someone the Captaincy isn’t like a positional change.

You have to consider the ramifications very carefully before making such a big decision.

It’s not like you can turn around in a few weeks and say he isn’t ready to Captain we are giving it back to Jack.

Let the kid concentrate on his footy, he has plenty of time to be Captain down the track if it works out that way.

Jy being Captain is not going to improve us as a football club at the moment.

That sounds ridiculous.

Giving someone the Captaincy isn’t like a positional change.

You have to consider the ramifications very carefully before making such a big decision.

It’s not like you can turn around in a few weeks and say he isn’t ready to Captain we are giving it back to Jack.

Let the kid concentrate on his footy, he has plenty of time to be Captain down the track if it works out that way.

Jy being Captain is not going to improve us as a football club at the moment.
I'm not suggesting we appoint him mid-season if you're interpreting it that way.

He's already in the leadership group. We have 11 rounds in a cooked season. How's about we use that time to gradually increase the level of responsibility he's exposed to.

That way if it is too much then we can back it off.

Jy is a leader of the future its written all over him. The club see it hence the appointment to the leadership group.

The rest of the year should be used to position ourselves for the future. This is part of that.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not suggesting we appoint him mid-season if you're interpreting it that way.

He's already in the leadership group. We have 11 rounds in a cooked season. How's about we use that time to gradually increase the level of responsibility he's exposed to.

That way if it is too much then we can back it off.

Jy is a leader of the future its written all over him. The club see it hence the appointment to the leadership group.

The rest of the year should be used to position ourselves for the future. This is part of that.
That’s fair enough. I thought you were suggesting we make him captain.

I have no issue with him taking on more responsibility if he is up for it.

That’s fair enough. I thought you were suggesting we make him captain.

I have no issue with him taking on more responsibility if he is up for it.
I am saying make him captain, hopefully next year.

And we ramp up responsibility this year building to that.

It would be evident within the remainder of the year how close to it he actually is.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tarrant as captain, players like Anderson, Dumont, Ziebell and Cunnington to be phased out. The rot start from the center. Of course these players are not terrible per say but precise that, they are not really setting the tones either. The quartet are the mainstay yet they are not really in the top 25 of AFL for skills in Disposal and speed. Very dangerous. Of course you got the list cloggers like Tyson, Jacobs, who needs to go. Campbell will be useful if goodie is to succumb to a season ending injury. Our list isn’t as bad as you think but the players we rely on are the ones indeed of gutting.

It is not tanking, but with our injury situation, hub situation, possible compression of matches into a smaller time frame etc, i would call it a combination of list/player management/development, and good old common sense, rotation and assessment of all players on the list with a view to 2021 and beyond is just smart business really.

It is not tanking, but with our injury situation, hub situation, possible compression of matches into a smaller time frame etc, i would call it a combination of list/player management/development, and good old common sense, rotation and assessment of all players on the list with a view to 2021 and beyond is just smart business really.
But it means staying the course and not allowing some damn fool idea about a late season charge to 9th.

Back