2021 What went right, What went wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

for the 2021 season

Right:
*the emergence of so many players, some that we knew had potential and they finally lived up to it and some we plucked from nowhere in the PSS or mid season drafts. (Moore, CJ, Reeves, Kozi, DGB, Brockman, Bramble)
*some players showing potential star traits and form (Day, Scrimshaw, Moore, Bramble)
*a new coach and vision, we have stagnated and have been haemorrhaging talent for years, time for a change imo
*form after the bye, taking it up to the best teams at the end of the season

Wrong:
*Patton and Scully issues to start the year, can we not trade with GWS anymore?
*Clarko and Kennett drama
*poor midfield once again and finishing bottom 6

Last edited:
What went right -

1. The emergence of the kids when given a proper extended run
2. The unlocking of Wingard late in the season, long may it continue
3. The late season midfield balance

What went wrong -

1. The ugly coaching handover
2. Lack of continuity for key players, Day missing almost all the season after showing genuine AA form, Sic missing the entire season of his best years because of his ACL late 2020
3. The early season midfield balance

Have been seeing lots of what I assume to be Kane Cornes devotees stating Hawthorn will win the spoon in 2022, so I went back to look at what other sides did in 2021 that are supposedly going to be better then us next year, and to be honest, it makes zero sense to have us as spoon faves.

Especially when you consider the amount of players we had missing when we got the better of top 4 sides, and the fact that we were so ordinary pre-bye.

10724753-B870-4FA4-BB11-6919C699D71D.png

Have been seeing lots of what I assume to be Kane Cornes devotees stating Hawthorn will win the spoon in 2022, so I went back to look at what other sides did in 2021 that are supposedly going to be better then us next year, and to be honest, it makes zero sense to have us as spoon faves.

Especially when you consider the amount of players we had missing when we got the better of top 4 sides, and the fact that we were so ordinary pre-bye.

View attachment 1289640

The 'bombres' are putrid. Watch them fall away next year!

I can fully understand people saying that Hawthorn are hard to judge on where they might land but based on what we showed late in 2021 with multiple players missing and a coach upheaval I just don’t understand how people could be so definite in there conclusion that Hawthorn will be a bottom 2 side.

Particular when you look at the record of those around us in the bottom for who look clearly worse.

I can fully understand people saying that Hawthorn are hard to judge on where they might land but based on what we showed in 2021 with multiple players missing and a coach upheaval I just don’t understand how people could be so definite in there conclusion that Hawthorne will be a bottom 2 side.
Particular when you look at the record of those around us in the bottom for who look clearly worse.
They want us to be a 'bottom 2 side' - a phrase that wouldn't sound out of place in a Pete and Dud sketch.

I think there is a good chance we'll get in the eight with a bit of luck.

They want us to be a 'bottom 2 side' - a phrase that wouldn't sound out of place in a Pete and Dud sketch.

I think there is a good chance we'll get in the eight with a bit of luck.
I definitely think desire comes into it, or maybe they just swallow what Cornes says.

Where’s Finn McGuinness at do you think? Does he have the talent to get there in 2022. If he doesn’t next year it doesn’t look good yer?

Where’s Finn McGuinness at do you think? Does he have the talent to get there in 2022. If he doesn’t next year it doesn’t look good yer?
He’s got a 2yr deal to go, and has been restricted in his development due to Covid hitting in 2020 and again this year(limited VFL games).

2022 is a big year for him no doubt.

View attachment 1289640
Did some more work on this.

I can understand people not quite knowing where to place Hawthorn, but it's intriguing that we're clear favourites on Bigfooty for the spoon when you see the below.

Maybe there's a bit of 'anyone but Hawthorn' about it, or they're just hoping like our old obsessed mate Jack Green.

Found it interesting that of the bottom 6 sides, the majority of their wins were against other bottom 6 sides, but the side winning the main board poll for the spoon defeated more top 8 teams than any of them(also drew with Melbourne) by a clear margin, and won the least amount of games against the bottom 6.

2021 hawks finish 2.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back