Opinion 2022 - Contentment

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as the last 2 days has had me permanently smiling, repeatedly re-watching aspects of the GF and breaking records for like/love reactions given to others what has come over me is real strong sense of contentment.

For years we've all had varying views on almost every aspect of this great club. But for me all that has washed away. Replaced with a sudden sense of 'who the hell cares anymore'. Who cares if someone didn't rate O'Connor or if someone else didn't want to give up picks for Cameron... And there'd be dozens more examples of things we've disagreed over for not just this year but for close to a decade really.

None of it seems to matter anymore. Climbing back to the top of the mountain has washed away so many question marks we've had in recent seasons. Our list build flying in the face of the AFL system worked. A raft of players with major queries hanging over them got the monkey off the back. Our coach now goes from questionably being gifted a flag and then being the nearly man to now being a certifiable great of the Geelong Football Club.

None of what has bugged us in recent years matters anymore. I sit here as we enter the trade and draft portion of the year not even slightly bothered with what moves we'll make.
I. Am. Content.

Let's see what the next few years brings to this great club.

Love that Art. Same sense of peace for me. I have an incredible sense of joy for a group of people that are 8000 km away in a team, of which I know none of them personally.

In a way it is a similar joy as one has for one's own kids when they succeed. The players, the coaches, the admin, the leaders, fitness and health, marketing and operations. So many people behind the scenes to be grateful for too.

Also for all the Cats on Big Footy, being unable to see my team play, you guys give me a sense of connection back to Australia and Geelong.
Thank you all.

SingaporeCat

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I'd been thinking along similar lines heading into the 2022 finals series - where for the first time since our last flag I was absolutely convinced Geelong were the best team in it. That if they got the job done and all the work culminated in success, it would make the heart breaks over the years worth it. In fact, it would make this one even sweeter.

All the "what is" and set backs, having a good team but not quite good enough. Needing players to emerge and a few last pieces of the puzzle to be acquired.

I had varying levels of despair between 2012 and 2018. Not just for the games lost at the pointy end, but the manner of some of those defeats and the state of our list going forward. There wasn't a forward line around Hawkins, the defence was a bit old and slow and the mid tier players weren't stepping up. Too much still felt like "Dangerwood or bust" with a really battling bottom 8 in particular. It hasn't been perfect since then (2019 to now), for instance the 2021 finals campaign was a disaster, but there's been much better signs.

The team has evolved since then and a lot of players hit career best form. Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola, Blicavs, Kolo, Henry, Stanley etc took big strides - not without hiccups a long the way but they gave me hope. Our draftees and free agent/trade recruits in recent years have mostly been great, directly addressing needs. And development of those types has seemed to improve the last 5 years. Our mature age/rookie picks have been unbelievable.

We needed young players to push Dahlhaus, Higgins and co out, we needed more goal scorers and pressure forwards, we needed Henderson and Taylor to retire and the rest of the defence to fill their shoes (or in SDKs case, step in and star). It all started getting ticked off. This year it finally came together with some important changes regarding how senior players were managed, how our game plan evolved and the new roles specific players were given.

It's been a joy to watch the club take what was arguably a team fizzling out around 2014-2018, to a refreshed and invigorated group on the up. They had a couple more agonising finals exits and the Melbourne prelim tested all of our faith, but they simply went again and refused to concede. Fantastic reward for that perseverance and improvement at coaching/playing level for so many over the journey.

Our lists a year older next year so don’t care if we fall into old habits of losing finals. Guess that falls under being content?

I think the only thing that could possibly bug me is if Selwood plays on but relinquishes his captaincy. He’s a better leader than Cotchin, Hodge and Riewoldt who all gave it up prior to retirement. I’d rather Joel retire tomorrow than give up the captaincy.

Premierships are priceless. But this one feels particularly special, just because of the amount of 'fairytale' about it. Selwood gets his flag as captain. Hawk and Sel get one more together. Paddy gets his flag. Scott finally gets one that will be universally judged as hard-earned. Smithy gets a Norm. The kids - Close, Zuth, Stengle, Henry - standing up on the biggest stage and refusing to give in.
Staying relevant in footy is under appreciated if you don't win it. But when you do win it, I feel like it's a lot easier to appreciate the fact that the club has stayed relevant all these years. Look how quickly the wheels fell off for Richmond, Hawthorn, Port, West Coast, Bulldogs, etc. The value in staying at the top is exemplified by this flag.

Echoing the thoughts of those above but alongside the contentment this finals series has given I’m quietly optimistic that a b2b is within reach.

Joel probably retires but that gives opportunity and renewal to our leadership.

What excites me the most and often overlooked by outsiders with their lazy analysis is the talent of our u/25 group - O’Connor, Parfitt, Stengle, Close, Miers, SDK, Henry, Zuthrie along with Holmes who could well be the pick of the litter.

Throw in the possibility of Neale and a couple of others pushing up along with Bruhn and possibly Henry and I’m just as content that the next few years will see us doing what we do best, dining at the top table again.

As much as the last 2 days has had me permanently smiling, repeatedly re-watching aspects of the GF and breaking records for like/love reactions given to others what has come over me is real strong sense of contentment.

For years we've all had varying views on almost every aspect of this great club. But for me all that has washed away. Replaced with a sudden sense of 'who the hell cares anymore'. Who cares if someone didn't rate O'Connor or if someone else didn't want to give up picks for Cameron... And there'd be dozens more examples of things we've disagreed over for not just this year but for close to a decade really.

None of it seems to matter anymore. Climbing back to the top of the mountain has washed away so many question marks we've had in recent seasons. Our list build flying in the face of the AFL system worked. A raft of players with major queries hanging over them got the monkey off the back. Our coach now goes from questionably being gifted a flag and then being the nearly man to now being a certifiable great of the Geelong Football Club.

None of what has bugged us in recent years matters anymore. I sit here as we enter the trade and draft portion of the year not even slightly bothered with what moves we'll make.
I. Am. Content.

Great post, strongly agree with the sentiment

Was reflecting on this this morning as well. I've no doubt come round 1 next year I will want to win but this is contentment.

With the age of this team, I have no thoughts for next year and what's next. Who knows what will happen but for now, it doesn't matter, lots of players in this teams story is now written. Will there be an epilogue? Maybe, but it's already a great story.

Definite sense of contentment. There's been a massive lift of pressure from the shoulders even from the supporters perspective. Chris Scott 2nd flag, Selwood flag captain, Danger premiership player etc.

They say there is a premiership hangover - whether that is a result of being too content, or other circumstances, getting up for a B2B is a mammoth effort.

Having said that - I think the maturity that would be there in the fact that the Cats were not only the oldest premiership team on record but the oldest team in general would speak to how they are going to approach season 2023 and the collective mindset particularly in that senior group. I'd tend to think that the perceived pressure would not be there like it would be for a team like WBD, Demons or even Richmond 2017. Season 2023 will have a focus on continuing to enjoy footy as a team.

That we had such a strong mix of players available, such a great 'bottom 6' if there is one, such great emergencies and other depth means that Geelong would again next year be in a position to rest those who need it. Despite it occurring through injury, perhaps a blueprint has been created now for Dangerfield (a la Ottens, Clark Keating) - minimise his game time throughout the season proper. Same for Selwood if he chooses to go around again. Same for Hawk - although, by Hawk's standards, I can easily see him playing a full season next year such is the way he goes about it.

Bringing in the players that are potentially speaking about means there will be further depth.

I think this all adds to a very optimistic and content view towards the next season or two.

I. Am. Content.

I hate to Meatloaf you, but you did, beautifully, and succinctly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amen.

This win has completely silenced the critics (including us supporters).

Next season will be as challenging as ever but I feel like we can just sit back and enjoy the ups and downs. Instead of criticizing our players and coaching staff, we can celebrate them for what they have achieved. The monkey is off the back.

How exciting will next season be!?? The stadium redevelopment will be completed. Unveiling the flag in front of 45000+ fans. A potential farewell season for Selwood and Hawkins.

Another preseason into Close, Stengle, Holmes, Zuthrie, and DeKoning.

Life is good my fellow Cats fans :heart:

Yep. Next year I'll likely be back in full nuffie mode again, but it's such a surreal feeling at the moment. I think this fourth flag - fittingly Selwood was there for all of them - makes this whole era just feel 'complete', for want of a better word. It's as if in hindsight all the near misses over the past decade just make the story even greater.

Yep. Next year I'll likely be back in full nuffie mode again, but it's such a surreal feeling at the moment. I think this fourth flag - fittingly Selwood was there for all of them - makes this whole era just feel 'complete', for want of a better word. It's as if in hindsight all the near misses over the past decade just make the story even greater.

A degree of validation I think comes with the fact that we are now the equal most successful club of the century which is a bare minimum reflection for our overall quality in that time frame

I. Am. Content.

Yeah it's almost like the feeling of - no one can give us any s**t anymore. Not that that should matter, indeed I have enjoyed the last 10 years very much.

I agree that content is the right word here.

In 2007 it was elation. In 2009 it was vindication, and in 2011 it was affirmation. In 2022, it is contentment.

On Saturday afternoon Joel Selwood said that this flag had been an ongoing project over the last six or seven years. One could suggest that this process began in the 2015/16 pre-season with the arrival of Dangerfield, Touhy, and Henderson. I think the 2018 season is a more appropriate starting point. This was when the last of the pre-Selwood and Hawkins draft group (2006) had departed and the list became more ‘Scott’s’ than ‘Bomber’s’. I consider the years 2012-2015 as the inevitable winding down of the club’s dynastic era. And even then, in 2013 we nearly squeezed another flag out of that group.

So, looking back to the years 2018 to now, we had an elimination final defeat, a grand final defeat, two preliminary final defeats and now a premiership. On any measure, this period should be considered successful in the context of a 17 club competition. But during this period (and perhaps earlier) something always seemed bereft to me. The on-field performances – particularly in finals – were not matching the hype when the rubber hit the road. While I was never in the ‘sack Scott’ camp, it would be dishonest for me to say I have not questioned the club and its direction since about 2015. I began to question the merits of sitting on the ‘near enough is good enough’ hamster wheel. The club, elements of the media and my peers told me I was ‘finals fatigued’ and ‘ungrateful’.

I thought we had elite top end talent with a soft and incompetent underbelly. I didn’t believe that we had the cattle to reach the summit again. I believed that a clever tactical coach and a unique home ground advantage gilded us. We doubled down on the moneyball strategy, recruiting ageing albeit effective ‘plug-ins’ at the expense of the draft. Between 2018 and 2021 we played stodgy, safe, and possession-heavy football. We had a sound enough defensive base to compete against most teams. But in September we were found wanting against elite pressure teams like Richmond. This was the difference in the 2019 preliminary final and the 2020 grand final. A virus allegedly swept through the club during preliminary final week in 2021. If true, this would have perhaps lessened the margin to around nine or ten goals, instead of 15. We were nowhere near Melbourne’s level last year. They were in rare form. It was their time.

From the disappointment of 2016 onwards, I suspected that we lacked the components to implement a premiership winning gamestyle. Though subject to rigorous debate in this forum, the results in the intervening years between then and now support my assertion. It became frustrating watching the club double-down on an approach that would do 80 per cent of the job. Then 2022 rolled around.

So how do we explain the remarkable turnaround from 2021? Again, with the benefit of hindsight, I think it is quite clear. It is a combination of personnel, coaching and management. While it is not my intention to diminish the contributions of others in this team, there are several players critical to why we saluted on Saturday. Their growth as players or elevation to the senior team was transformative. They are:

Sam DeKoning – his high standard of performance all year enabled Mark Blicavs to play the utility role. This relieved Blicavs of his full back stopping duties. It gave us more run, defensive accountability, and unpredictability in the ruck and in defence.

Jeremy Cameron – a full pre-season meant the dynamic half forward hit the scoreboard and was mercurial at high half forward and in the midfield. Most importantly, he dragged tall defenders away from Tom Hawkins. This trade has paid itself off handsomely. Case closed.

Brad Close – a running machine given licence to travel to half back and create the running chains. This became of hallmark of our playing style this year. Along with Miers, his speed and endurance meant we could link up from defence and move the ball with conviction.

Tyson Stengle – feel good redemption stories aside, Tyson was the dangerous small forward at ground level that Geelong has craved for years.

Max Holmes – while he sadly did not play in the grand final, his running power, speed, endurance, and attack on the contest were critical to this year’s gamestyle.

Tom Atkins – his move into the midfield gave us the hard, defensive edge we were lacking and allowed the likes of Guthrie to play with more freedom.

If his arrival at the club late last year as a free agent gave Rhys Stanley the kick up the backside necessary for him to perform to his potential, then Jon Ceglar also deserves an honourable mention.

Much has been discussed and publicised about the changes to the coaching staff and management of key players. I won’t add anything further on the coaching topic. However, at the risk of revisiting old discussions, I would say that I had grave fears for Geelong’s midfield this year. Following last year’s preliminary final shellacking at the hands of Melbourne, I firmly believed that Selwood and Danger were finished. Where was the improvement coming from? I expected the likes of Stephens, Willis et al to play more games. I thought we would be lucky to finish inside the top eight.

Alas, a 7-12 finish did not transpire. And while the midfield was a relative weakness, the coaching and fitness staff managed it beautifully. Veterans were rested. I understand that some were put on modified programs and instructed to play in ‘bursts’. This culminated in Saturday’s ferocious attack on the contest that eliminated the possibility of Sydney asserting any kind of influence on the match.

This was the first year since 2011 that I had the quietly confident feeling that the Cats had one hand on the cup. The feeling came over me in about late July. In 2011, it was about the same time.

We were a different team this year. We were finally playing to a gameplan that would stand up in finals. We had to cattle to do it.

So yes, I am content

I rarely post in here these days but enjoy checking in to keep my finger on the pulse. If anything, this probably reflects how my relationship with footy and the GFC has evolved as I have matured over the last decade.

A decade of change, regeneration and near misses puts a lot into perspective, let alone what goes on in one’s own life. It made me understand the enormity of what the 2007-2011 squad achieved. It made me understand what it takes to win a premiership. I also came to accept that the current Geelong side was not – and never will be – at the level of the all-conquering 2007-2011 squad. The context was different. The game had changed. Players and playing styles evolved. There are extra teams in the competition. We now have free agency. Moreover, football is just one interest of mine in the mosaic of life.

So, cheers to an extraordinary season. Enjoy the moment.

I'm still in the relief mode that engulfed me when it was clear we were going to massacre them.
Not only the fantastic feeling of forks up to the whole AFL world, but vindication to my family who are football tragics and AFL connected. They humiliated me for backing them by ten goals plus. So more like personal satisfaction, pride and dancing for joy, than the contentment of 2007- when you knew you weren't going to shuffle of the mortal coil without a premiership. Replays forever.

Last edited:
Love that Art. Same sense of peace for me. I have an incredible sense of joy for a group of people that are 8000 km away in a team, of which I know none of them personally.

In a way it is a similar joy as one has for one's own kids when they succeed. The players, the coaches, the admin, the leaders, fitness and health, marketing and operations. So many people behind the scenes to be grateful for too.

Also for all the Cats on Big Footy, being unable to see my team play, you guys give me a sense of connection back to Australia and Geelong.
Thank you all.

SingaporeCat

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
This 100%, i'm not as far away as you from the team, but I really don't know too many other Geelong Supporters, and certainly not that I can meet up with for games etc. Having this board over the years, and during the Grand Final gave me so much joy. To be able to come here and bash out some absolute s**t / hot take comments during the game and express myself was brilliant, really added to my enjoyment of the game :hearteyes:

I agree that content is the right word here.

In 2007 it was elation. In 2009 it was vindication, and in 2011 it was affirmation. In 2022, it is contentment.

On Saturday afternoon Joel Selwood said that this flag had been an ongoing project over the last six or seven years. One could suggest that this process began in the 2015/16 pre-season with the arrival of Dangerfield, Touhy, and Henderson. I think the 2018 season is a more appropriate starting point. This was when the last of the pre-Selwood and Hawkins draft group (2006) had departed and the list became more ‘Scott’s’ than ‘Bomber’s’. I consider the years 2012-2015 as the inevitable winding down of the club’s dynastic era. And even then, in 2013 we nearly squeezed another flag out of that group.

So, looking back to the years 2018 to now, we had an elimination final defeat, a grand final defeat, two preliminary final defeats and now a premiership. On any measure, this period should be considered successful in the context of a 17 club competition. But during this period (and perhaps earlier) something always seemed bereft to me. The on-field performances – particularly in finals – were not matching the hype when the rubber hit the road. While I was never in the ‘sack Scott’ camp, it would be dishonest for me to say I have not questioned the club and its direction since about 2015. I began to question the merits of sitting on the ‘near enough is good enough’ hamster wheel. The club, elements of the media and my peers told me I was ‘finals fatigued’ and ‘ungrateful’.

I thought we had elite top end talent with a soft and incompetent underbelly. I didn’t believe that we had the cattle to reach the summit again. I believed that a clever tactical coach and a unique home ground advantage gilded us. We doubled down on the moneyball strategy, recruiting ageing albeit effective ‘plug-ins’ at the expense of the draft. Between 2018 and 2021 we played stodgy, safe, and possession-heavy football. We had a sound enough defensive base to compete against most teams. But in September we were found wanting against elite pressure teams like Richmond. This was the difference in the 2019 preliminary final and the 2020 grand final. A virus allegedly swept through the club during preliminary final week in 2021. If true, this would have perhaps lessened the margin to around nine or ten goals, instead of 15. We were nowhere near Melbourne’s level last year. They were in rare form. It was their time.

From the disappointment of 2016 onwards, I suspected that we lacked the components to implement a premiership winning gamestyle. Though subject to rigorous debate in this forum, the results in the intervening years between then and now support my assertion. It became frustrating watching the club double-down on an approach that would do 80 per cent of the job. Then 2022 rolled around.

So how do we explain the remarkable turnaround from 2021? Again, with the benefit of hindsight, I think it is quite clear. It is a combination of personnel, coaching and management. While it is not my intention to diminish the contributions of others in this team, there are several players critical to why we saluted on Saturday. Their growth as players or elevation to the senior team was transformative. They are:

Sam DeKoning – his high standard of performance all year enabled Mark Blicavs to play the utility role. This relieved Blicavs of his full back stopping duties. It gave us more run, defensive accountability, and unpredictability in the ruck and in defence.

Jeremy Cameron – a full pre-season meant the dynamic half forward hit the scoreboard and was mercurial at high half forward and in the midfield. Most importantly, he dragged tall defenders away from Tom Hawkins. This trade has paid itself off handsomely. Case closed.

Brad Close – a running machine given licence to travel to half back and create the running chains. This became of hallmark of our playing style this year. Along with Miers, his speed and endurance meant we could link up from defence and move the ball with conviction.

Tyson Stengle – feel good redemption stories aside, Tyson was the dangerous small forward at ground level that Geelong has craved for years.

Max Holmes – while he sadly did not play in the grand final, his running power, speed, endurance, and attack on the contest were critical to this year’s gamestyle.

Tom Atkins – his move into the midfield gave us the hard, defensive edge we were lacking and allowed the likes of Guthrie to play with more freedom.

If his arrival at the club late last year as a free agent gave Rhys Stanley the kick up the backside necessary for him to perform to his potential, then Jon Ceglar also deserves an honourable mention.

Much has been discussed and publicised about the changes to the coaching staff and management of key players. I won’t add anything further on the coaching topic. However, at the risk of revisiting old discussions, I would say that I had grave fears for Geelong’s midfield this year. Following last year’s preliminary final shellacking at the hands of Melbourne, I firmly believed that Selwood and Danger were finished. Where was the improvement coming from? I expected the likes of Stephens, Willis et al to play more games. I thought we would be lucky to finish inside the top eight.

Alas, a 7-12 finish did not transpire. And while the midfield was a relative weakness, the coaching and fitness staff managed it beautifully. Veterans were rested. I understand that some were put on modified programs and instructed to play in ‘bursts’. This culminated in Saturday’s ferocious attack on the contest that eliminated the possibility of Sydney asserting any kind of influence on the match.

This was the first year since 2011 that I had the quietly confident feeling that the Cats had one hand on the cup. The feeling came over me in about late July. In 2011, it was about the same time.

We were a different team this year. We were finally playing to a gameplan that would stand up in finals. We had to cattle to do it.

So yes, I am content

I rarely post in here these days but enjoy checking in to keep my finger on the pulse. If anything, this probably reflects how my relationship with footy and the GFC has evolved as I have matured over the last decade.

A decade of change, regeneration and near misses puts a lot into perspective, let alone what goes on in one’s own life. It made me understand the enormity of what the 2007-2011 squad achieved. It made me understand what it takes to win a premiership. I also came to accept that the current Geelong side was not – and never will be – at the level of the all-conquering 2007-2011 squad. The context was different. The game had changed. Players and playing styles evolved. There are extra teams in the competition. We now have free agency. Moreover, football is just one interest of mine in the mosaic of life.

So, cheers to an extraordinary season. Enjoy the moment.
Well said.

I would also add to your comment about Ceglar. I reckon he might have also been brought in to teach Stanley a thing or two about "down and dirty" hard-arsed ruckwork, cos Rhys certainly put in much more this year IMO.

This 100%, i'm not as far away as you from the team, but I really don't know too many other Geelong Supporters, and certainly not that I can meet up with for games etc. Having this board over the years, and during the Grand Final gave me so much joy. To be able to come here and bash out some absolute s**t / hot take comments during the game and express myself was brilliant, really added to my enjoyment of the game :hearteyes:
Yep me too, keeps me connected in a non Cats' family and community.

I think the only thing that could possibly bug me is if Selwood plays on but relinquishes his captaincy. He’s a better leader than Cotchin, Hodge and Riewoldt who all gave it up prior to retirement. I’d rather Joel retire tomorrow than give up the captaincy.
Just because I wrote this yesterday, didn’t mean under any circumstances that I wanted it to be true 😭

I. Am. Content.

Could not have said it any better!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back