2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
worpel time!

When it comes to my favourite running gag on this board it's a real close battle between this and "So I'm Told" šŸ˜‚

Good morning like minded footy fans

So have we landed worpel yet?

You lot are a bunch of campaigners - I'll be getting my own back when he wins the Suns B+F next year, winning the Brownlow, the Coleman, and the Norm Smith with a game winning 121m torpedo banana after the siren.

Pfft.

The problem I have with bringing Heppell on as a coach isā€¦ we donā€™t even know if he can coach?

Has any of our current coaching panel / footy admin etc recently been involved with essendon?

Not super excited about heppell but he has been captain of essendon for 6 years and is still only 30. Obviously a whole lot more experienced than majority of our team. A past all Australian and b&f winner and his stats this year have actually been pretty good. The 4 years would obviously be to spread the salary. Biggest worry is he doesn't add to the need of speed and penetration from the back half. Could see him being useful but as long as he is pretty cheap.

Iā€™d accept knowing we did everything we could..

Just feel like thereā€™s only 17 clubs looking to add to there best 22 by adding decent mature aged players year in year out.

Be nice to know we actually tried.

Getting old drafting the best young talent hope they come good and crunch the numbers to be able to afford them come contract time again years later

We had a massive crack at Tom Mitchell when he left the Swans in 2016. The same year we brought in Hanley. Offered very good coin on a long contract but couldnā€™t convince him. Won a Brownlow 2yrs later šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Not super excited about heppell but he has been captain of essendon for 6 years and is still only 30. Obviously a whole lot more experienced than majority of our team. A past all Australian and b&f winner and his stats this year have actually been pretty good. The 4 years would obviously be to spread the salary. Biggest worry is he doesn't add to the need of speed and penetration from the back half. Could see him being useful but as long as he is pretty cheap.
Jay Clark on MMM said Essendon are offering him 1 year "in the 300k's". Assume the Suns are offering more than that to tempt him.

Of course it could be just gossip to get Essendon to up their offer.

If he's going to struggle to be best 22 for Essendon next year, is he good enough for the Suns?

Jay Clark on MMM said Essendon are offering him 1 year "in the 300k's". Assume the Suns are offering more than that to tempt him.

If he's going to struggle to be best 22 for Essendon next year, is he good enough for the Suns?
Could be less money hence the 4 years. Who knows but sounds too much to me

I think Essendon would rather let him walk, the only benefit Heppell can bring is if Dew wants to switch to cheap kicks around half back which we are #18th in the comp in

He'd be playing in the first half of next year, there's no question of that. We have no-one else to play.

I'm more open to the idea of Heppell than I would have been last year. The success of Casboult has really turned around my opinion on these older recruits that look 'past it' at their current clubs. They can definitely impact. Bonus with Heppell is that he's obviously got great leadership chops. Would love to see how he goes out of the Bombers environment without the Captaincy title so he can focus on himself. Could really thrive.

Or it could be a complete bust. I'd rather him than Markov or Atkins down there, though. I think the Coaches think the same.

He'd be playing in the first half of next year, there's no question of that. We have no-one else to play.

I'm more open to the idea of Heppell than I would have been last year. The success of Casboult has really turned around my opinion on these older recruits that look 'past it' at their current clubs. They can definitely impact. Bonus with Heppell is that he's obviously got great leadership chops. Would love to see how he goes out of the Bombers environment without the Captaincy title so he can focus on himself. Could really thrive.

Or it could be a complete bust. I'd rather him than Markov or Atkins down there, though. I think the Coaches think the same.
Markov probably wont get another contract as we just won't have the room, runs out this year.

Bringing in Heppell would mean Atkins would never play again

Heppell has been through a lot at Essendon over the last few years. He had a whole year off with supplement saga.
I reckon he would be very handy for 3 years and could actually blossom with the change of scenery

Heppell has been through a lot at Essendon over the last few years. He had a whole year off with supplement saga.
I reckon he would be very handy for 3 years and could actually blossom with the change of scenery
Starting to warm to it a little. He was a very good player at his peak and think we are under rating him a bit. Has definitely slowed down a bit but think he plays that role to release guys like redman and hind. Maybe new game plan and role in the team might give him a new perspective. At the right price think it could work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was actually a really bloody good player for a while.

Completely agree.
Change of scenery, new life and a new leap in his step. Iā€™m all in and he can coach the kids without the pressure of *face Lloyd breathing down his neck. You watch, if we land him, he will thrive.

I know he is the captain.
But on the scale of captains I'd have him down the bottom in terms of leadership material. (not that we really know)
Essendon is a team that has been criticised for poor leadership, poor capacity to get the most out of themselves, even this year.

I wasn't warm on it until you put forward the argument. Still think he is too loyal to leave Essendon.

Respectfully enters thread;
Hepp gets a bit of criticism on our board because he's a bit of a nice guy captain and our players mostly don't seem to have any teeth. In the past, if we have copped a bad loss or players aren't playing their roles, Hepp has been seen to be more of a comforter, an apologist and an optimist than a hard arse and a motivator. I have no doubt that he speaks positively and motivationally, but it hasn't translated on the field with a lot of consistency.

What I will say is that on field he's as courageous as they come. He just doesn't squib. When he has the ball he will make a good choice more often than not. He is a heart and soul player and given his history at our club over the last decade, leaving will hurt, but I agree with the sentiment here; I think he could thrive up there, away from the responsibility and the fishbowl. I think he'd enjoy the mentoring without the mantle.

Respectfully enters thread;
Hepp gets a bit of criticism on our board because he's a bit of a nice guy captain and our players mostly don't seem to have any teeth. In the past, if we have copped a bad loss or players aren't playing their roles, Hepp has been seen to be more of a comforter, an apologist and an optimist than a hard arse and a motivator. I have no doubt that he speaks positively and motivationally, but it hasn't translated on the field with a lot of consistency.

What I will say is that on field he's as courageous as they come. He just doesn't squib. When he has the ball he will make a good choice more often than not. He is a heart and soul player and given his history at our club over the last decade, leaving will hurt, but I agree with the sentiment here; I think he could thrive up there, away from the responsibility and the fishbowl. I think he'd enjoy the mentoring without the mantle.
What do you make of the recent criticism of his leadership.
Mostly came about in the wake of the Parker-Shiel incident but kind of got extrapolated to the club lacking strong leaders in general.

I think as a captain part of your responsibility is nurturing those underneath you to build their leadership credentials.

Who are the young leaders at the dons, and what do they do on field to show it?

What kind of journalism is this? What does it even mean? 'perhaps'? I probably never seen so stupid, meaningless journo comment.
ā€œThe Gold Coast, perhaps less enthusiastic than they were even 48 hours ago, and now weā€™ve got Essendon more enthusiastic than they were 48 hours ago.

What kind of journalism is this? What does it even mean? 'perhaps'? I probably never seen so stupid, meaningless journo comment.
This isnā€™t journalism itā€™s fill the empty page with whatever you can and then just state the player/ club changed their mind once the thing that you made up surprisingly doesnā€™t happen.

I have no time for any of these so called AFL experts, itā€™s just a wank fest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back