2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think I'd be adding to our midfield unless it was an absolute a grader like a Zac Merrett/LDUor someone with some potential x factor tarryn thomas/ shai bolton.

LDU and Thomas will be needing another new coach I'd say.

Sam Mitchell comes out with allegations exactly the same regarding phones and kids against Herr Clarkson.

Plenty,plenty more to come out.

Think of the iceberg in Titanic....

LDU and Thomas will be needing another new coach I'd say.

Sam Mitchell comes out with allegations exactly the same regarding phones and kids against Herr Clarkson.

Plenty,plenty more to come out.

Think of the iceberg in Titanic....
Interesting that Mark Evans stepped in to intervene.

Are we still talking to Taryn Thomas? He seems the most likely to leave should the Clarkson drama continue to drag on.

I think Jed Anderson was pretty happy to see this panning out. Not Clarksons biggest fan as you all know.

I'm assuming Jed Anderson and Taryn Thomas are good friends?
Clarkson delisted Anderson at Hawthorn.
No love lost between the 2.
Clarkson has already stated he will cut Anderson from Norf.

On 99 AFL games.

They do not like each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got too much time on my hands going into trade week so was thinking where we could be with players and picks at the end of trade week. I think the club's goals look to be:

• Trade out high priced depth for future cap flexibility (Bowes, Fiorini, Corbett)
  • Bring in low price experienced depth (Long, Berry, Blakely(?))
  • Draft 2 players - preferably Hollands (draft range 9-15) and another in 2nd rd based on list need (I like Weddle / Hayes / Burgiel / George / Cowan)
  • Transfer as many picks as possible into next year for Academy players and trade for experienced A grade talent

Current draft hand:

7, 25, 32, 35, 44, 53

Potential trades

Crows trade for Rankine

Out: Rankine
In: 5, Crows future 3rd

Bowes salary dump

Out: Bowes 7, 32, 35 (Cats use 32 & 35 for Ollie Henry)
In: Cats future 1st, Cats future 2nd, 48

Based on points the dumping of Bowes salary is worth approx. pick 13

Pick swap (Giants & Suns - after Giants get Richmond's picks)

Out: 5, 44
In: 12, 19, Giants future 3rd

Ben Long trade / Pick swap (Saints & Suns)

Out: 12, 25, 48, Crows future 3rd
In: 9, Saints future 2nd, Ben Long

Based on points values Ben Long at approx. pick 33

Tom Berry trade

Out: 53
In: Tom Berry

Connor Blakely picked as a delisted FA

Fiorini and Corbett traded for nothing picks

Draft picks after trade period

2022:

9 (Hollands)
19 (first pick in 2nd rd on night 2 - depending on our needs can shift the picks around for a combination of later/future pick)

2023:

Suns 1st rd (5-12)
Geelong 1st rd (15-18)
Suns 2nd rd (23-30)
St Kilda 2nd rd (25-32)
Geelong 2nd rd (34-40)
GWS 3rd rd (40-50)
Suns 3rd rd (40-50)

Got too much time on my hands going into trade week so was thinking where we could be with players and picks at the end of trade week. I think the club's goals look to be:

• Trade out high priced depth for future cap flexibility (Bowes, Fiorini, Corbett)
  • Draft 2 players - preferably Hollands (draft range 9-15) and another in 2nd rd based on list need (I like Weddle / Hayes / Burgiel / George / Cowan)
  • Transfer as many picks as possible into next year for Academy players and trade for experienced A grade talent

Current draft hand:

7, 25, 32, 35, 44, 53

Potential trades

Crows trade for Rankine

Bowes salary dump

Tom Berry trade

2022:

9 (Hollands)
19 (first pick in 2nd rd on night 2 - depending on our needs can shift the picks around for a combination of later/future pick)

2023:

Suns 1st rd (5-12)
Geelong 1st rd (15-18)
Suns 2nd rd (23-30)
St Kilda 2nd rd (25-32)
Geelong 2nd rd (34-40)
GWS 3rd rd (40-50)
Suns 3rd rd (40-50)
Sounds like you need a hobby.

I like it but I can’t see GWS making that trade. They don’t have the academy picks coming through and there is no real benefit to trade up from 13 to 6 after the Ashcroft pick

Sounds like you need a hobby.

I like it but I can’t see GWS making that trade. They don’t have the academy picks coming through and there is no real benefit to trade up from 13 to 6 after the Ashcroft pick

All about generating conversation.

Giants should have a bounty of picks after they trade Taranto, Hopper, Hill and Tanner Bruan. Can't see them selecting 6 kids in the top 40 and just repeating the usual cycle. While pick 1 with Ashcroft is clear and next 4 are pretty even and there are distinct tiers within the first round of the draft (2-5, 6-10, 10-15) and the Giants have shown in the past they are prepared to package up multiple picks to get their man.

Current draft hand:

7, 25, 32, 35, 44, 53

Potential trades

Crows trade for Rankine

Bowes salary dump

Tom Berry trade

2022:

9 (Hollands)

2023:

Suns 1st rd (5-12)
Geelong 1st rd (15-18)
Suns 2nd rd (23-30)
St Kilda 2nd rd (25-32)
Geelong 2nd rd (34-40)
GWS 3rd rd (40-50)
Suns 3rd rd (40-50)
I think Bowes goes to essendon.
Trade 7,32 for 14,17 with Sydney.
Trade Bowes, 14,25 for essendon 2023r1.

Current draft hand:

7, 25, 32, 35, 44, 53

Potential trades

Crows trade for Rankine

Bowes salary dump

Tom Berry trade

2022:

9 (Hollands)

2023:

Suns 1st rd (5-12)
Geelong 1st rd (15-18)
Suns 2nd rd (23-30)
St Kilda 2nd rd (25-32)
Geelong 2nd rd (34-40)
GWS 3rd rd (40-50)
Suns 3rd rd (40-50)

So Bowes is worth pick 13?
On form he is lucky to be a second Rd pick.

I’m 50/50 on trading so many future picks..
Whose to say any of our academy kids next year stay rated so highly?

For instance Brisbane have
15 , 33 , 44 and 69 and new they had Ashcroft coming in?
The supposed #1 talent from over 12months ago.
Plus Jaspa Fletcher rated inside the first Rd

Yet didn’t bother to accumulate picks.

And are now trading in Dunkley

🤯

And now with the Suns saving all this coin..

Will the Suns actually want to draft academy kids rated in the 30-50 draft range?

Most years the Suns draft past after the first Rd.
Or do we draft average players just because of the academy?
Like plenty of other times before.

So whose going about it the right way?

🤷🏽‍♂️

So Bowes is worth pick 13?
On form he is lucky to be a second Rd pick.

I’m 50/50 on trading so many future picks..
Whose to say any of our academy kids next year stay rated so highly?

For instance Brisbane have
15 , 33 , 44 and 69 and new they had Ashcroft coming in?
The supposed #1 talent from over 12months ago.
Plus Jaspa Fletcher rated inside the first Rd

Yet didn’t bother to accumulate picks.

And are now trading in Dunkley

🤯

And now with the Suns saving all this coin..

Will the Suns actually want to draft academy kids rated in the 30-50 draft range?

Most years the Suns draft past after the first Rd.
Or do we draft average players just because of the academy?
Like plenty of other times before.

So whose going about it the right way?

🤷🏽‍♂️
Just to clarify pick 13 is Bowes with his salary attached

“The Magpies appear likely to secure Brayden Fiorini from Gold Coast for basically nothing in draft terms as the Suns try to get Fiorini’s $600,000 contract for next year off their books. Collingwood will spread that contract out across a multi-year deal for the wingman, who was pick 20 in the 2015 draft”.

Izak Rankine to Adelaide
This one feels like it’s going the distance, with reports stating the Suns have already dug their heels in for the former Pick 3. It’s hard to see any scenario where Adelaide doesn’t give up its fifth overall selection for Rankine given the club’s only other picks are 23 and 77. Gold Coast does have access to highly-rated key forward Jed Walter next year and might want to ensure it has enough 2023 picks to secure him and thus allow the Crows to keep their Pick 5. If they decided to go down that avenue, Adelaide’s Pick 23 and a future first rounder could seal the deal.
Jeremy Sharp to Fremantle
Gold Coast list boss Craig Cameron revealed this week the club would need to receive something “compelling” to trade the 21-year old Sharp, who’s contracted for 2023. “Nothing has moved very far on that at this stage, so I think it’s just a wait and see there,” he said on AFL Trade Radio. With Fremantle not having any picks from 13 to 72, it likely needs to get other deals done before it can acquire Sharp. One of the selections the Dockers get for Acres, Lobb, Logue or Tucker should make it happen, with a late second rounder or early third around the price point.

Jack Bowes
Essendon and Geelong are considered the frontrunners among several suitors for Bowes, who the Suns are dangling along with Pick 7 in a rare package to off-load his heavily back-ended deal until 2024, estimated to be worth around $850,000 next season. Gold Coast will allow Bowes to pick his destination for 2023, so assessing a potential deal is tricky. The Suns won’t just be giving away the Bowes/Pick 7 package for nothing though, with Suns list boss Craig Cameron this week saying they’re minded on what they’ll ask for but want a “fair” pick back – likely a late future first rounder or early second.
Ben Long to Gold Coast

Ben Long should land at the Gold Coast Suns with relative ease. While St Kilda were “disappointed” by Long’s call to head north, the Suns are sitting pretty this draft hand. They have a first-round pick and a whopping three further picks in the second round. They’ve also got another two picks in the third round. It’s expected a late second round draft pick or early third rounder would satisfy the Saints for Long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back