2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybe time to take the blinkers off.......he does it to every Club he's able to, and that's his job (still a greedy prick)........but did we slide back?
I definitely suspect someone like dodoro views gc as a target he can extract maximum value from. Not necessarily due to incompetence. But because we value draft picks differently for a host of reasons.

I wonder what the tipping point will be with salary dumps? I don't follow US sports but it's apparently common there. What are the long term effects?

Hawthorn are paying $750k for two players to play elsewhere
Collingwood reportly $600k for the same with Treloar and Grundy.

Not sure if giving away pick 7 is better or worse than that amount of salary?

I guess it's using an asset (salary or picks) to improve your list, but how much of it will AFL allow. Half the league doing it? Or do they not care?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone surely realises it’s in hawthorns best interest to pay Mitchell and o’meara so they can achieve the required salary floor and avoid overpaying duds and youngsters.

It’s not ‘bad’ at all.

It would be far worse having to pay 600k to a 3rd year player like we’ve been guilty of previously.

Everyone surely realises it’s in hawthorns best interest to pay Mitchell and o’meara so they can achieve the required salary floor and avoid overpaying duds and youngsters.

It’s not ‘bad’ at all.

It would be far worse having to pay 600k to a 3rd year player like we’ve been guilty of previously.
I don't know, there both not ideal.

I don't know, there both not ideal.
Look at Hawthorn's list.
How many players they have that are worth 500K? Sicily.. and.. no one else?

If I was Hawthorn, in their current situation, I would much rather be paying my current listed players what they are actually worth ie. 200 - 400k for majority of their list rather than putting them on 500k+ contracts they don't deserve.

They are reserving so much cap space. By paying 750k to players on another team they are effectively paying only 90% of the cap, rather than the compulsory 95% - such an advantage for a crap team. Will allow them to recover so much quicker.

Think how much they will be able to offer Noah and other guys coming out of contract in the next few years if their youngsters are paid what they are worth rather than enforced inflated contracts.

Of course, I'd rather a better team.. but this is the right off-field concept in rebuilding a young team IMO. Although, I think they cut too deep for midfield experience which will hurt them a fair bit of on field development IMO.

It’s not ‘bad’ at all.

Freeing up a large amount of cap space also has its advantages say should a gun young mid with family ties to them want to move back to Melbourne

Look at Hawthorn's list.

If I was Hawthorn, in their current situation, I would much rather be paying my current listed players what they are actually worth ie. 200 - 400k for majority of their list rather than putting them on 500k+ contracts they don't deserve.

They are reserving so much cap space. By paying 750k to players on another team they are effectively paying only 90% of the cap, rather than the compulsory 95% - such an advantage for a crap team. Will allow them to recover so much quicker.

Think how much they will be able to offer Noah and other guys coming out of contract in the next few years if their youngsters are paid what they are worth rather than enforced inflated contracts.

Of course, I'd rather a better team.. but this is the right off-field concept in rebuilding a young team IMO. Although, I think they cut too deep for midfield experience which will hurt them a fair bit of on field development IMO.

What about next year? As we have found out, it is a dangerous game to try and rebuild in the AFL. I suspect other clubs think it is mostly b/c we are interstate and rubbish, and North is rubbish as well.

When you don't play finals for a while, the managers will be lining up to get at the trough. I think it is 2018 the last time the Hawks played finals. So if they miss next year it will be 5 years. Sicily wasting his prime, the young players will have never played finals.

Treading water when other clubs are moving forward is no good. At some point, will probably be doing some combination of overpaying 2nd tier free agents, paying young players on potential, and paying their best older players more than they would get elsewhere.

Going to be interesting to see it they can keep everyone. They might have a war chest but other clubs have big games and finals to offer.

Look at Hawthorn's list.

This can work both ways. Sure they have a lot of salary spare for next year to try and get a gun or two in (we're all concerned about Anderson) but if they don't then they will be forced to pay their list cloggers overs and/or front end deals.

This can work both ways. Sure they have a lot of salary spare for next year to try and get a gun or two in (we're all concerned about Anderson) but if they don't then they will be forced to pay their list cloggers overs and/or front end deals.
Yeah. By paying o’meara and Mitchell this year they’re just pushing back the requirement to make a decision on these things.

Just so important we come out and absolutely pump hawthorn this year (and we should)
Losing to them again has potential to really hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back