List Mgmt. 2022 List Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Finishing second last we would usually have pick 2 (pick 1 from Victoria), but overall we have picks 10, 24, 42, 60, 78, 96, 114.
This is because the four new clubs will have the first eight picks, two each.
In reality, it's more like pick 5 as we pick from the Victorian pool, so the Bombers and Hawks will get picks 1-4.
So our real world picks would look more like 5, 19, 37, 55, 73, 91, 109. A priority pick at 6 for us should be expected, otherwise they're having a laugh.

Check out the U18 Champs this Sunday if you're keen to see most of the best from whom we can select:
Victoria Country v Victoria Metro
Sunday 20 March, 12:00pm (Welcome to Country at 11:30am)
Mars Stadium, Ballarat
How to watch: The Victoria Country v Victoria Metro match will be live streamed free via womens.afl and the AFL Women's Live Official App. Entry at the gate is free.

Here are a couple of handy links regarding the youth players to watch for the upcoming draft:

At least we've got a slightly clearer picture of who the Saints won't get now. If there was any hope for Fleming or Ham, it's completely evaporated now. The only question now is which other two players get taken before the fifth Vic pick. Clarke is probably one of them - as much as I'd like to will her onto the Saints list (played midfield with T Smith as a 15-year old before moving forward last year and dominating). The last one before the Saints pick seems most likely to be a mid (Baskaran, Hurley), but could be a KP (Eardley, Hipwell).

That probably means the Saints have a similar decision to make - take whichever of Baskaran or Hurley is left or go for one of the talls. I was leaning towards Eardley before today's game, but the absolute midfield dominance from Metro has me questioning that. Obviously, if the league coughs up a priority pick, the decision gets a little easier.

At least we've got a slightly clearer picture of who the Saints won't get now. If there was any hope for Fleming or Ham, it's completely evaporated now. The only question now is which other two players get taken before the fifth Vic pick. Clarke is probably one of them - as much as I'd like to will her onto the Saints list (played midfield with T Smith as a 15-year old before moving forward last year and dominating). The last one before the Saints pick seems most likely to be a mid (Baskaran, Hurley), but could be a KP (Eardley, Hipwell).

That probably means the Saints have a similar decision to make - take whichever of Baskaran or Hurley is left or go for one of the talls. I was leaning towards Eardley before today's game, but the absolute midfield dominance from Metro has me questioning that. Obviously, if the league coughs up a priority pick, the decision gets a little easier.

I'm glad you saw it, I had something on and only managed parts of the second half. Hopefully they upload a replay somewhere!!

I think we just have to take the best available and not worry about positions. Just get the best quality through the door at this stage.

It's just our luck, our men finish bottom when the Suns and GWS enter, then our women should have first pick but four new clubs enter.... you can't make this stuff up.

What are the odds that Sydney or Port steal one of the Vic kids too, like Gold Coast did with Rowbottom last year?! It's just in our nature to get screwed over. So who knows what pick we'll actually end up with. I still feel let down by all that. I hope we're looking at pinching someone from interstate too. Bloody hard to get them to move, but if they're worth it, do it.

FYI here was the team sheet from today:

I'm glad you saw it, I had something on and only managed parts of the second half. Hopefully they upload a replay somewhere!!

I think we just have to take the best available and not worry about positions. Just get the best quality through the door at this stage.

It's just our luck, our men finish bottom when the Suns and GWS enter, then our women should have first pick but four new clubs enter.... you can't make this stuff up.

What are the odds that Sydney or Port steal one of the Vic kids too, like Gold Coast did with Rowbottom last year?! It's just in our nature to get screwed over. So who knows what pick we'll actually end up with. I still feel let down by all that. I hope we're looking at pinching someone from interstate too. Bloody hard to get them to move, but if they're worth it, do it.

FYI here was the team sheet from today:
St Kilda got screwed over when the league announced the draft plans. No Fleming or Ham is this year's Rowbottom. The dropoff isn't quite as dramatic, but the net effect is still Saints suffer so that others may thrive.

I don't think Port or Sydney will do much to the Vic pool. There was some suggestion on coverage that Yasmin Duursma wants to play for Port. Given the level of the coverage, I'm not sure if that's something Duursma actually said or whether they're just assuming it because her brother plays for Port. I'd already written off Duursma anyway since she can pre-sign with Hawthorn. Sydney should be focusing on the Murray girls, although I'm not sure if NSW will be a free-for-all like WA or divided into zones like QLD.

From my perspective, there's no obvious best available. It's going to come down to preference. Even just with the mids, I don't think there's a clear answer between Baskaran, Hurley and Charley Ryan (depending on how bad her injury is). Baskaran's the most productive at NAB League level, Hurley was the best yesterday, but both of them will be below average sized mids in the AFLW - Ryan is above average sized, more versatile and better by foot.

There's no real way to do a comparison between them and Eardley or Hipwell either (throw in Taylor as well). One argument to go tall earlier is most of the talls will probably get snapped up in the first round and there will be some smaller mid types available in the second round. If I had to guess today, however, I'd go with whichever of Baskaran or Hurley makes it through and one of Eardley, Hipwell or Ryan if the league awards up a priority pick.

I'm still holding on to the faintest glimmer of hope that the league gives a priority pick between the expansion picks that allows St Kilda to get Clarke.

There was some suggestion on coverage that Yasmin Duursma wants to play for Port. Given the level of the coverage, I'm not sure if that's something Duursma actually said or whether they're just assuming it because her brother plays for Port.
She pretty much came out and told us at the NAB League testing day, I asked her if she'd like the opportunity to play at the same club as Xavier and she responded "that would be the dream"

Finishing second last we would usually have pick 2 (pick 1 from Victoria), but overall we have picks 10, 24, 42, 60, 78, 96, 114.
This is because the four new clubs will have the first eight picks, two each.
In reality, it's more like pick 5 as we pick from the Victorian pool, so the Bombers and Hawks will get picks 1-4.
So our real world picks would look more like 5, 19, 37, 55, 73, 91, 109. A priority pick at 6 for us should be expected, otherwise they're having a laugh.

Check out the U18 Champs this Sunday if you're keen to see most of the best from whom we can select:
Victoria Country v Victoria Metro
Sunday 20 March, 12:00pm (Welcome to Country at 11:30am)
Mars Stadium, Ballarat
How to watch: The Victoria Country v Victoria Metro match will be live streamed free via womens.afl and the AFL Women's Live Official App. Entry at the gate is free.

Here are a couple of handy links regarding the youth players to watch for the upcoming draft:

Wait, so we've missed out on the best girl in Victoria because of expansion clubs?!

Why does this sound familiar...

Baskaran's the most productive at NAB League level, Hurley was the best yesterday, but both of them will be below average sized mids in the AFLW - Ryan is above average sized, more versatile and better by foot.

There's no real way to do a comparison between them and Eardley or Hipwell either (throw in Taylor as well). One argument to go tall earlier is most of the talls will probably get snapped up in the first round and there will be some smaller mid types available in the second round. If I had to guess today, however, I'd go with whichever of Baskaran or Hurley makes it through and one of Eardley, Hipwell or Ryan if the league awards up a priority pick.

I'm still holding on to the faintest glimmer of hope that the league gives a priority pick between the expansion picks that allows St Kilda to get Clarke.

Yeah I thought to myself the other day, are the better players this year a little on the shorter side?

Ideally we need an accumulator, ball winner and ball user (plenty of quality touches each match). They don't grow on trees. If they are small would they still be able to get it done at AFLW level? That's the big question for me.

Yeah I thought to myself the other day, are the better players this year a little on the shorter side?
You've still got Women like Kearny, Conti, Eva, Bruton, Riddell, and such that are very good at the top level that are all below 165 cm tbf, don't think height matters as much in the Women's game personally, at least not for midfielders

Ideally we need an accumulator, ball winner and ball user (plenty of quality touches each match). They don't grow on trees. If they are small would they still be able to get it done at AFLW level? That's the big question for me.
Georgie Prespakis was more on the taller side of average last year, where Baskaran, Fleming and Hurley are more on the smaller side of average. There's only a few cms between them. I don't think it's going to be even noticable except when they're up against the midfield behemoths that some teams have. They're all great runners and massive accumulators, up there with the best ever. Baskaran probably is the best accumulator ever at this level. I think they're all going to become stars, likely very quickly. Especially with the league going to 18 teams.

My only hesitation in saying just take whichever one is available is I'm not sure when the next time an Eardley type is going to be available. >180cm mobile defender who's a good enough kick that Country had her taking kickouts in front of some other really good kicks. I don't think anybody will ever regret taking a gun mid, however, so that's probably the safe pick.

Where was Zarlie Goldsworthy on the weekend? Wasn't she meant to play for Country? I was looking forward to seeing her in action. Although she'd probably be gone by our pick anyway.

Not draft related but this seems the most relevant place given it is list management related - Essendon have managed to get 2 of Carlton's best players - Maddy Prespakis and Georgia Gee. Both of them plus their 2 first rounders before our pick should help them start strong.

Judging by the initial player movement rumours, it's going to be another very long season with us having to rely on internal improvement.

It's even more difficult this time with the new clubs making it easier for player to move, but we really need to do something to become attractive to oppositions players.

I'm not positive but I think each club can pay four players $100k each. So, I guess that's something we have available to us to attract players. I wonder whether we're using any of those slots. TLR is still at the club working out, that could be one. Priest as captain doing a heap of work, that could be two. We've at least gone after high quality players like Marinoff and Lamb, so that's a good sign.

There's also the extra sponsor bonuses outside the cap that get some players over the line, cars etc. I'm not sure we have anything like that unfortunately, maybe a discount of their gas bills?

Now the Dons have Maddie, Georgie Prespakis and Patrikios would surely be their targets in the next year or two.

But yeah it looks like we have to hit the draft and bring in quality that way. We need to be careful and draft players who want to be career players, because it won't be long until we're full time. We can't afford to waste picks on players who will quit to pursue another career when we go FT.

If we can get through this off-season without anyone getting poached, we might be a sneaky chance to jump up the ladder as next season might even out a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did think Patrikios might be next for Essendon, assuming she can play without a vaccination, although presumably a free agent so we don't get anything. Shame... Sucks to lose a player and get pushed down the draft.

Prespakis is apparently getting $150k to switch to Essendon.. I wonder if this will test Partikios' decision, Georgia would've commanded a contract like that very easily

I'm interested to know, who did we poach when we entered?
Drennan (North); Guttridge (Collingwood); Watt (Carlton); Karlson (Bulldogs); Exon (Brisbane); Phillips (Melbourne); Sedunary (Adelaide); Munn (North) were all signed as expansion signings. TLR was signed as a DFA. McCarthy was traded in for an early pick. Mackie was a throw-in as part of a pick swap (pick 9 for picks 24 and 30, which sounds a lot worse than when you consider it was Vic pick 7 for Vic picks 11 and 15 - Georgostathis for Dillon and White).

McCarthy was the only one anything close to a star as an AA from the first season. Nothing anywhere near the level of what North, Richmond and now Essendon have got.

It's a bit frustrating to see them ease the rules for the new expansion teams surrounding signing mature-agers outside the league. The Saints had to use a second round pick on Dillon. Under rules for the new teams, she'd be able to be pre-signed. Same with picks used on Luke (33) and Priest (41). St Kilda used significant picks on mature-agers that the new teams won't have to.

It will be further frustration if the new teams are allowed to get (and keep) better draft picks in addition to better players. For the record, I actually think they're doing the right thing with the new expansion teams. They just have significant fixing to do with the previous groups. I think the league would have to give out at least a handful of picks just to draw St Kilda even with what the new teams have got - and that's just the draft picks. And I'm ignoring the first four Victorian picks will probably wind up at teams with more stars than the Saints.

Drennan (North); Guttridge (Collingwood); Watt (Carlton); Karlson (Bulldogs); Exon (Brisbane); Phillips (Melbourne); Sedunary (Adelaide); Munn (North) were all signed as expansion signings. TLR was signed as a DFA. McCarthy was traded in for an early pick. Mackie was a throw-in as part of a pick swap (pick 9 for picks 24 and 30, which sounds a lot worse than when you consider it was Vic pick 7 for Vic picks 11 and 15 - Georgostathis for Dillon and White).

McCarthy was the only one anything close to a star as an AA from the first season. Nothing anywhere near the level of what North, Richmond and now Essendon have got.

It's a bit frustrating to see them ease the rules for the new expansion teams surrounding signing mature-agers outside the league. The Saints had to use a second round pick on Dillon. Under rules for the new teams, she'd be able to be pre-signed. Same with picks used on Luke (33) and Priest (41). St Kilda used significant picks on mature-agers that the new teams won't have to.

It will be further frustration if the new teams are allowed to get (and keep) better draft picks in addition to better players. For the record, I actually think they're doing the right thing with the new expansion teams. They just have significant fixing to do with the previous groups. I think the league would have to give out at least a handful of picks just to draw St Kilda even with what the new teams have got - and that's just the draft picks. And I'm ignoring the first four Victorian picks will probably wind up at teams with more stars than the Saints.

Thanks. All of that is absolutely atrocious. Makes one wonder why we even bother. And they'll never right past wrongs.

Thanks. All of that is absolutely atrocious. Makes one wonder why we even bother. And they'll never right past wrongs.
It may take a regime change at AFL house, but I'm confident somebody, eventually, will clean up the mess - mostly because they'll have to. The gap between the teams is shocking. It's like having multiple Fitzroys from the club's dying days. I think about the merger Lions and how few Fitzroy players they took and wonder how many players the current finals teams would take off the bottom sides. How many Saints would get a spot on Adelaide's list, much less a game?

They're going to be trying to sell 9 games of this stuff each weekend to supporters and broadcasters and players want to be full time. Something is going to have to break, eventually.

I did think Patrikios might be next for Essendon, assuming she can play without a vaccination, although presumably a free agent so we don't get anything. Shame... Sucks to lose a player and get pushed down the draft.
Prespakis is apparently getting $150k to switch to Essendon.. I wonder if this will test Partikios' decision, Georgia would've commanded a contract like that very easily
Was a report from Lauren Wood a few weeks ago that Patrikios wants to stay with us and is working on a new contract. But there is also no improvement on her vaccination status.

Also reported yesterday that there is a chance Cat Phillips leaves and goes to North.

Was a report from Lauren Wood a few weeks ago that Patrikios wants to stay with us and is working on a new contract. But there is also no improvement on her vaccination status.

Also reported yesterday that there is a chance Cat Phillips leaves and goes to North.

That's news re Phillips, yikes. Very handy player who is always seems to be there to get us out of a pickle. Not the end of the world though, but we'd want some decent compo on top of the high priority pick we more than deserve. Phillips has performed in our B&F even since she was at the Southern Saints.

It would be #SoStKilda if Patrikios stays with us while she can't play, then as soon as the restrictions lift she's off hahaha.

That's news re Phillips, yikes. Very handy player who is always seems to be there to get us out of a pickle. Not the end of the world though, but we'd want some decent compo on top of the high priority pick we more than deserve. Phillips has performed in our B&F even since she was at the Southern Saints.

It would be #SoStKilda if Patrikios stays with us while she can't play, then as soon as the restrictions lift she's off hahaha.
It's hard to know what anyone is worth in a trade because the whole system is unbalanced and it is so state dependant.

Geeze that's surprising re: Cat. Top 4 in the BNF this year, fairly sure she was Top 3 last year, add on that she's VC, and one our few older heads. I would think we'd be asking for a decent pick/player

Seems we have a target or 2 in mind.
Guessing AFL will be waiting on government changing vac requirements before AFL relaxes there requirements

Remove this Banner Ad

Back