Autopsy 2022 Round 7 Adelaide v GWS Giants, Saturday 2.10 pm 30 April @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
ON THE LINE …

It’s been said the last 4 weeks, but the season is on the line ... lose this week and 2022 is a write off. After 5 weeks of not much chop, the players need to show they care and show up game day. Much has been written about Leon being a lame duck coach, but the players can't escape criticism … yes, I mean you Messrs. Whitfield, Hill and Himmelberg! In a year were we’ve already traveled a lot, we head to AO this week to take on the might of Adelaide … the Crombots having recently blown the lid off on a possible top 8 finish this year.

A win is necessary, not to save Leon, to save us poor suffering fans from another week of what ifs and what could’ve beens … we all know they could’ve been GIANTS!!

Can the boys lift and show the team that is lurking somewhere under the stinking pile of poo that has been 2022 form to date? Read on below if you dare …..

PAST RESULTS

1) May 1, 2021 (AO) GWS 106 – Ade 39 W

2) Sep 8, 2020 (AO) GWS 47 – Ade 59 L

3) Jun 7, 2019 (AO) GWS 61 – Ade 82 L

LAST TIME THEY MET

The last time these two teams met was a day game at AO

Having just hit some kind of form with wins over the Pies and Swans (despite going down to Dogs the previous week), we gave the Croms the mother of all hidings. Taranto, Whitfield and Hopper all got plenty off it, while Jesse kicked 4 and young Tom Green grabbed a couple.

TALKING POINTS

1) Can We Score?

What the hell do we do? We have hardly kicked a goal after half time this year and the mid-forward linking is appalling. If Jesse is back this week and Toby having had a blow out against the Saints then perhaps we can expect some better forward craft … yeah and that’s a Berkshire circling overhead. Expected forward line of Jesse, TFG, Flynn, and HH, with Hill and Taranto should kick us a score if we can get some spread and move the f****** ball with a little speed. Nonetheless, Doedee, Butts and (lol) Bill Frampton have been more than serviceable this year for the Croms, so we will probably be lucky to kick 8 goals … again.

2) The Orange Tsunami?

One of the joys of watching the Giants play in 2016 and 2017 was the Orange Tsunami …. handball chains that moved the ball downfield with dash and verve (and a sprinkling of WTF). These days it’s chip, chip, chip … miss … back down to our defensive 50 for a goal against. Whitfield is obviously more hampered than is being let on … give him a rest to get right. Jelly is not looking his normal silky self either. We need more drive through Cumming, Finn, Pez and Ash, or even give Fahey a run, but they have to be encouraged to take the game on and move the damn ball. Maybe we can give the forwards some better looks and kick a winning score.

3) Ruck Battle

After weeks of us fans calling for the two-headed beast of Preuss + Flynn we saw it against the Saints, and I for one got a tingle. Heavens above could we even see the ruck-Hydra of Preuss + Flynn + Briggs? I’m literally agog at the thought … and it will certainly give that shitweasel ROB something to think about. They have a solid midfield with Crouch, Keays and Smithers leading the way, but the Green-led contested bestiary that is the Giants should wipe the floor with them at stoppages if the big men give us a look at the ball.

4) TFG vs. FBC

I’m not certain of what was said by Tex, but I think those letters cover it. He is somewhat of a talisman, a barometer, a … a … a veritable alchemist for the Croms. At the other end of the field we have, well, you know who. He looked short of a run last week so we can expect much better from him …. he f****** owes us and the team! Whoever can inspire their respective team will be hailed by the Viccentric media as … well, still just a naughty boy.

LINEUP CHANGES

I imagine the Croms will go in pretty much unchanged.

The Giants, however, are likely to make changes with Hogan back in, Idun back to the backline and Keefe or Stein out. Booby Hill, regardless of the photos he has in his possession, must also be in serious doubt. HH needs a kick in the clacker also, but he has to play against his brother in the hope he lifts out of family pride.

PREDICTION

My biggest worry is that Burgess as fitness coach has the Croms running out games beautifully at the moment. We will need to hit early and hit hard if we are going to hold them off in the last quarter. My head says a 3 goal loss … but my heart says Giants to win by 7 points with Cal Ward milking a 50-m penalty to slot the sealer.

Last edited:

Seasons not on the line. It was off the line a while back.
Gamestyle is way off. One dimensional and easy to play against.
More losses mean we can expedite the change in coach. This might help us keep someone like Tanner.

Matthew Nicks as Crows Coach?

Murphy’s Law looms very, very large.

I wish Leon was spared this fixture out of respect for his service to the club, but it feels almost inevitable that ‘Apprentice’ on his team’s home deck will defeat ‘Master’.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure who can come in from the reserves for this game
XOH needs time in reserves to work on his disposal
Riccardi needs a lot of work defensively and also on forward craft
Fahey and Hamilton first year players and I would say too early in the season for them
Briggs not needed with the Flynn Preuss combo needing work
Brown playing key defence and Stein and Keefe ahead I would think
Wehr and Peatling not putting up impressive numbers to warrant the call up IMO, De Boer while flawed is a better option unless coaches have the mindset too play youth which I dont think is the case atm

Hill needs to find some touch in reserves but without Daniels no one else can play that role

Cant see a win away from home but if we can see an improved effort and an ability to move the ball offensively and defend on transition it will be a good sign

Idun Taylor Haynes
Cumming Keefe Whitfield
Ash Ward Kelly
Taranto HH Bruhn
Hill Hogan Greene
Preuss Coniglio Green
Perryman Callaghan Kennedy Flynn
Medi-sub Peatling/MDB

The last couple of weeks seems to have been a case of moving magnets around the board in random fashion. And none of it really paid off.

Presumably Jesse Hogan will be back, in which case Connor Idun can return to his rightful place in the backline. While I agree that HH had a shocking night, I just can't see him being left out. Kick him up the arse, absolutely! I just hope that we keep the Preuss-Flynn combo, which delivered 3 of our 7 goals. That leaves our tall forward line as Hogan, HH & Flynn rotating into the ruck and Preuss going forward.

Jesse comes back in for one of the tall backs - I'd probably drop Keeffe (thought he was beaten a few times on Friday night, despite Max King not kicking a bag) & keep Stein as the more nimble. Haynes played a bit better, but not yet his normal self. Taylor's still below his best, but think that's partly a result of the whole team underperforming. So, tall backs: Taylor, Stein, Haynes & Idun.

Like others, I am very disappointed in Bobby, and while he's kicked an average of a goal a game, he's put little pressure on. I would be happy to throw Perryman forward - he's shown an ability to kick goals in the past, and tackles more; will be more tenacious, and hopefully better goal sense than Idun. The only problem is that he's not quick ... but Bobby's not using his speed to best effect anyway. Perryman is a better ball user, so if he takes marks around the F50 arc, he can maybe kick better to the tall forwards. Leon doesn't seem to be willing to use Brown again, so we're probably limited in any other changes. Taranto's been poor in using the ball in the midfield, so limit him more forward than mid, and rotate the talls, he and Toby as the deepest forward and see of that can pay off. While I'm not happy that it's a winning combination, we're really stuck with not too many options; so, Greene-Perryman-Taranto-resting mid.

Perryman's role in the backline could go to Cooper Hamilton. While Josh Fahey is also doing well, I'd go for Hamilton's better defensive capabilities at this time. That assumes Adam Kennedy stays at wing; reasonably, they could swap those roles. I'm unsure what to do with Whitfield. As I noted before the game, he is playing less well than past years, but his actual stats aren't that short of normal. But he's definitely less effective in driving our counter-attack. An option would be to rest him, but the club seems reluctant to do that. We could move him forward, hoping to use his good hands to take marks. If we replaced him, then Josh Fahey is doing well in reserves, but do we want two such junior debutants. An alternative might be to blood Jacob Wehr as a mature ager. Alternatively, bring back James Peatling. Realistically, I just don't think we'll drop Lachie even if he's carrying an injury, and especially if we blooded a debutant in defence. So, small defenders: Cumming, Hamilton, Whitfield/Peatling.

Not much to be done with the mids; they need to run both ways, and we need to use the speedier options (Ash, Bruhn & Callaghan) better.

Idun Taylor Haynes
Cumming Stein Whitfield/Peatling
Ash Coniglio Kennedy
Taranto HH Bruhn
Perryman Hogan Greene
Preuss Green Kelly
Flynn Callaghan Ward Hamilton
Medi-sub MDB/Peatling

Still a case of moving largely the same magnets around the board ... but not much more can be done.

We mainly need a better gameplan, and better endurance to not have shithouse second half performances.

I won't be expecting a win.

Peatling should be given more of a go. He gets one or two games… does as much as Hill, and gets dropped.
He’s a really good kick, is quick and agile. He’s not afraid to tackle, can take a really good grab, and he takes the game on.

By the way… anyone else noticed that Callaghan has basically not mis-used the ball once. He holds off on options until he sees the best one.
Looking like a solid pick (which is good for us because we have blown a fair few top picks…. Under SOS to be fair)

Himmelberg is a third tall imo. Just doesn’t take contested grabs. In fact he gets outmarked pretty easily.
I'd even grant him second tall status, but he should not be the main target. He's a good contested mark one on one, but put him in a pack and his relative lack of height and reach basically takes him out of it immediately.

HH has taken a few spectacular marks in his career (including round 1 this year), but generally not in packs; but he takes most of his marks through his agility in getting away from the defender, which is indeed why he likes the ball kicked over the contest. Agree he's not that #1 target - but he never has been - and that's why we got Hogan, who clunked some good contested marks last year but hasn't got going this year.

That's why the advocacy for Flynn in the forward line, as he has shown he can clunk some contested marks.

I'd even grant him second tall status, but he should not be the main target. He's a good contested mark one on one, but put him in a pack and his relative lack of height and reach basically takes him out of it immediately.
Please never say he is a good contested mark one on one. He has taken 4 contested marks for the year. I agree he isn't a key forward to be honest he plays like a forward pocket minus the pressure and tackling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last couple of weeks seems to have been a case of moving magnets around the board in random fashion. And none of it really paid off.

Presumably Jesse Hogan will be back, in which case Connor Idun can return to his rightful place in the backline. While I agree that HH had a shocking night, I just can't see him being left out. Kick him up the arse, absolutely! I just hope that we keep the Preuss-Flynn combo, which delivered 3 of our 7 goals. That leaves our tall forward line as Hogan, HH & Flynn rotating into the ruck and Preuss going forward.

Jesse comes back in for one of the tall backs - I'd probably drop Keeffe (thought he was beaten a few times on Friday night, despite Max King not kicking a bag) & keep Stein as the more nimble. Haynes played a bit better, but not yet his normal self. Taylor's still below his best, but think that's partly a result of the whole team underperforming. So, tall backs: Taylor, Stein, Haynes & Idun.

Like others, I am very disappointed in Bobby, and while he's kicked an average of a goal a game, he's put little pressure on. I would be happy to throw Perryman forward - he's shown an ability to kick goals in the past, and tackles more; will be more tenacious, and hopefully better goal sense than Idun. The only problem is that he's not quick ... but Bobby's not using his speed to best effect anyway. Perryman is a better ball user, so if he takes marks around the F50 arc, he can maybe kick better to the tall forwards. Leon doesn't seem to be willing to use Brown again, so we're probably limited in any other changes. Taranto's been poor in using the ball in the midfield, so limit him more forward than mid, and rotate the talls, he and Toby as the deepest forward and see of that can pay off. While I'm not happy that it's a winning combination, we're really stuck with not too many options; so, Greene-Perryman-Taranto-resting mid.

Perryman's role in the backline could go to Cooper Hamilton. While Josh Fahey is also doing well, I'd go for Hamilton's better defensive capabilities at this time. That assumes Adam Kennedy stays at wing; reasonably, they could swap those roles. I'm unsure what to do with Whitfield. As I noted before the game, he is playing less well than past years, but his actual stats aren't that short of normal. But he's definitely less effective in driving our counter-attack. An option would be to rest him, but the club seems reluctant to do that. We could move him forward, hoping to use his good hands to take marks. If we replaced him, then Josh Fahey is doing well in reserves, but do we want two such junior debutants. An alternative might be to blood Jacob Wehr as a mature ager. Alternatively, bring back James Peatling. Realistically, I just don't think we'll drop Lachie even if he's carrying an injury, and especially if we blooded a debutant in defence. So, small defenders: Cumming, Hamilton, Whitfield/Peatling.

Not much to be done with the mids; they need to run both ways, and we need to use the speedier options (Ash, Bruhn & Callaghan) better.

Idun Taylor Haynes
Cumming Stein Whitfield/Peatling
Ash Coniglio Kennedy
Taranto HH Bruhn
Perryman Hogan Greene
Preuss Green Kelly
Flynn Callaghan Ward Hamilton
Medi-sub MDB/Peatling

Still a case of moving largely the same magnets around the board ... but not much more can be done.

We mainly need a better gameplan, and better endurance to not have shithouse second half performances.

I won't be expecting a win.
An 8 day break, hopefully enough time to make some changes, have a big fitness session to give us more energy for the second half.

Please never say he is a good contested mark one on one. He has taken 4 contested marks for the year. I agree he isn't a key forward to be honest he plays like a forward pocket minus the pressure and tackling.
Recency bias here. Have a look at previous years - you may not have noticed it but our team is s**t this year, period.

As a second or third forward he's averaged over a contested mark a game which is in the ballpark of a decent key position forward - note "decent", not a star. He should never be a first choice going into the forward 50 though.

The battling Giants face Adelaide on Saturday and coach Leon Cameron does not appear to have a lot of avenues for change. Jesse Hogan was rested for last Friday night's game against St Kilda and would be in the frame for a recall. Another player to watch is Academy draftee Josh Fahey, who was the travelling emergency against the Saints and impressed with another 24 disposals in the VFL. Rookie Cooper Hamilton could be another closing in on a debut.

R6 medical substitute: Matt de Boer (unused)

Verdict: Hogan for Lachie Keeffe, with Connor Idun to move back to defence - Michael Whiting

Jesse comes back in for one of the tall backs - I'd probably drop Keeffe (thought he was beaten a few times on Friday night, despite not kicking a bag) & keep Stein as the more nimble. Haynes played a bit better, but not yet his normal self. Taylor's still below his best, but think that's partly a result of the whole team underperforming. So, tall backs: Taylor, Stein, Haynes & Idun.

Keeffe should be dropped and Stein stay. Unfortunately, I don't believe Leon has any clue what he is doing so it will be the reverse. HH also needs to be dropped. His performance has been shocking. It's like 1 in 6 games where he performs. That just isn't good enough for what he is being paid.

Via BigFooty mobile app.

For me, HH’s performance decline is a symptom of what’s wrong with the team rather than the cause of it or an individual failure.

Hogan has all the attributes of a true KPF1, but his body is clearly short of the mark. His kicking distance is also way down. To me, it just feels a bit like Delidio. Great player, but just physically struggling to get on the park and unable to deliver his career best form.

HH has carried a lot of the burden of the absence of a reliable KPF1, particularly in the first half of the 2021 season.

Personally, I think HH is just a bit burnt out and frustrated. He’s not Robinson Crusoe on that front in 2022. For me, this is more the fault of Leon than the player.

Sure he was absolutely terrible last week, but he’s been one of our most consistent players over the last 3 years.

I think HH is a legit KPF2, and he has kicked goals at the ‘G in big games when others have gone missing.

IMO, he’ll rebound under the new HC.

For me, HH’s performance decline is a symptom of what’s wrong with the team rather than the cause of it or an individual failure.

Hogan has all the attributes of a true KPF1, but his body is clearly short of the mark. His kicking distance is also way down. To me, it just feels a bit like Delidio. Great player, but just physically struggling to get on the park and unable to deliver his career best form.

HH has carried a lot of the burden of the absence of a reliable KPF1, particularly in the first half of the 2021 season.

Personally, I think HH is just a bit burnt out and frustrated. He’s not Robinson Crusoe on that front in 2022. For me, this is more the fault of Leon than the player.

Sure he was absolutely terrible last week, but he’s been one of our most consistent players over the last 3 years.

I think HH is a legit KPF2, and he has kicked goals at the ‘G in big games when others have gone missing.

IMO, he’ll rebound under the new HC.

HH needs to be put in the backlines and taught how to be competitive again. In fact let's swap him and Taylor this week just to actually get a contest up forward cause we all know what kind of effort Taylor is going to put in for fighting for the ball. Plus he probably won't be calling for the ball right next to one of our players having a set shot only for him to * it completely.

I get what you are saying ClockworkOrange but all I ask is for HH to fight for the ball and not be out marked 20 times per game.

HH needs to be put in the backlines and taught how to be competitive again. In fact let's swap him and Taylor this week just to actually get a contest up forward cause we all know what kind of effort Taylor is going to put in for fighting for the ball. Plus he probably won't be calling for the ball right next to one of our players having a set shot only for him to fu** it completely.

I get what you are saying ClockworkOrange but all I ask is for HH to fight for the ball and not be out marked 20 times per game.

All entirely fair.

In a sane setup, he could be shifted back or dropped to the VFL for a week to regain confidence.

Keeffe should be dropped and Stein stay. Unfortunately, I don't believe Leon has any clue what he is doing so it will be the reverse. HH also needs to be dropped. His performance has been shocking. It's like 1 in 6 games where he performs. That just isn't good enough for what he is being paid.

Via BigFooty mobile app.
Rather than dumping HH, maybe dump one or two of the million dollar mids whose only consistency is ignoring the leads of the forwards and dumping poorly directed, long, bombs into the forward line. All after politely waiting for the opposing ruckman to get back to the goal square.

Rather than dumping HH, maybe dump one or two of the million dollar mids whose only consistency is ignoring the leads of the forwards and dumping poorly directed, long, bombs into the forward line. All after politely waiting for the opposing ruckman to get back to the goal square.
Watching with the limited vision we get from the tv broadcast I can't help but notice the lack of forwards leading at the ball carrier. The issue here is either one of three things:

• What was stated above and the forwards aren't presenting
  • The players with the ball up the ground are making the wrong decisions
  • They are following coaches orders to kick it as high and as long as they can with no direction

Watching with the limited vision we get from the tv broadcast I can't help but notice the lack of forwards leading at the ball carrier. The issue here is either one of three things:

• What was stated above and the forwards aren't presenting
  • The players with the ball up the ground are making the wrong decisions
  • They are following coaches orders to kick it as high and as long as they can with no direction
Another issue is our forward structure with a lack of KPF's

Last week was HH and Flynn / Preuess alternating as the 2 KPF's

Up against King, Membrey and Hayes until he was injured and small forwards

HH needs to be the 2nd / 3rd KPF not the 1st however we have the same problem with Hogan who we have to nurse through the season and then we have Riccardi

Lobb would've helped the structure but that horse has bolted

It's a shame Briggs doesn't change his position or train for CHF, he can dominate in the VFL as ruck but hard for him to break into the team with Flynn / Preuess combining in the ruck. We need another big body in the F50

Which of Briggs, Flynn (or even Preuess) is the more mobile/agile, better contested mark/kick for goal? .i.e. Which could (possibly) be played more as the leading full-forward type/roaming CHF type rather than as a resting ruckman in the forward pocket.

It's a shame Briggs doesn't change his position or train for CHF, he can dominate in the VFL as ruck but hard for him to break into the team with Flynn / Preuess combining in the ruck. We need another big body in the F50

This, or something similar, really resonates with me.

We are bereft of KPF marking options, yet all three Rucks are in form.

If Hogan is unavailable like last week, I’d prefer to play Flynn, Briggs and Preuss in dry conditions just to see what the guys can do to assist TFG and HH.

Briggs must be given a chance to break into the 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back