2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing from a usually reliable source that Hawthorn are coming hard for 'Ned' Flanders in the off-season.
Anyone up there with an ear in the 'corridor of power' hearing the same?

Hearing from a usually reliable source that Hawthorn are coming hard for 'Ned' Flanders in the off-season.
Anyone up there with an ear in the 'corridor of power' hearing the same?

I’d be open to trading him for the right price. We have an excess of half fwds that could transition to the midfield.

Victorian clubs licking their lips at a sniff at Sam Flanders & Tanner Bruhn. Will it ever end

Keep it simple this off-season.
Tinker at the margins. There will be role players available who get delisted or traded for 4th rounders, if we need to fill a spot (like another key defender)

Keep draft and cap powder dry for if/when an A grader shakes loose, otherwise wait.

Will need new deals for Ando and Rowell at end of next year. The sitting tight and waiting and not doing much is hard (and boring), but with an internally improving list it is the right strategy.
How many players do you have on rookie deals that legitimately need up grading to the senior list?

Depending on how many first round picks you have in this draft, you could take only one first round pick at the draft, upgrade two rookie contracted players to the senior list, and be done.

Then see if any delisted free agents or draftable talent slips to the rookie draft.

Thought Flanders was solid tonight. Did sensible things with the ball in hand.
Playing out of position on the wing at the moment.

If he was to leave, not sure why he wouldn't come at a decent cost.
Originally a first round pick.
Will have played 30-35 games across his first 3 seasons.

He's by no means starred, but I think has had a solid start to his career.

Freo traded pick 22 and a future 3rd for Jordan Clark and a future 4th. Would have to be the benchmark if he were to go.

Thought Flanders was solid tonight. Did sensible things with the ball in hand.
Playing out of position on the wing at the moment.

If he was to leave, not sure why he wouldn't come at a decent cost.
Originally a first round pick.
Will have played 30-35 games across his first 3 seasons.

He's by no means starred, but I think has had a solid start to his career.

Freo traded pick 22 and a future 3rd for Jordan Clark and a future 4th. Would have to be the benchmark if he were to go.
Don't see any need to trade Flanders. 4th year next year, should start to see some improvement. Hopefully he gets a bit more mid time. There is definitely room for another mid to go with Rowell/Miller/Anderson if he wants to take the chance.

If he asks to leave fine, but you'd want a good deal or just hold him.

We’ll be all in on a D.Rioli or similar now.

Weller and Buddas won’t be back until mid-next year at best, Powell should hopefully get a pre-season in but are we planning on playing him wing long term? and there is clearly not a lot else coming through in terms of running defenders.

We’ve got the currency to make a play, but will we be able to secure someone?

Don't see any need to trade Flanders. 4th year next year, should start to see some improvement. Hopefully he gets a bit more mid time. There is definitely room for another mid to go with Rowell/Miller/Anderson if he wants to take the chance.

If he asks to leave fine, but you'd want a good deal or just hold him.
Agree. Get a couple injuries in the middle and Flanders will be very handy.

I would also like to see him more in midfield and Rankine too. It seems we mostly go with Rowell, Anderson, Miller, sometimes Swallow. No sure why unless just to fast track their development, synergy. It would not be my approach :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Get a couple injuries in the middle and Flanders will be very handy.

I would also like to see him more in midfield and Rankine too. It seems we mostly go with Rowell, Anderson, Miller, sometimes Swallow. No sure why unless just to fast track their development, synergy. It would not be my approach :)
I know he's become a bit of whipping boy but I love Davies. He's got all the tools to be a gun inside mid. Another preseason for him and Flanders and they should be able to share the midfield load more.

Not sold on Rankine in midfield, I'd rather he saved his energy for the forward half rather than bashing and crashing.

Last edited:
I know he's become a bit of whipping boy but I love Davies. He's got all the tools to be a gun inside mid. Another preseason for him and Flanders and they should be able to share the midfield load more.

Not sold on Rankine in midfield, I'd rather he saved his energy for the forward half they bashing and crashing.
Nobody reads ball better than Rankine. With a more mature body, I would like to see him running through the middle way more than now. I remember, Cameron mentioned a couple of times, that they consider Rankine a midfielder eventually. Every time he touches the ball good things happen. 20+ disposals for me, please.

Even yesterday, why not to run Flanders and Rankine more through the middle. If anything else just to lessen the heavy load Anderson and Rowell carry and bring more speed.

I love Davies too. It's not all about disposals. He played decent footy, IMO, except the last game. We will see him a lot more next year.

Last edited:
Jon Ralph

Izak ‘almost certain’ to stay a Sun​

Gold Coast has been told by brilliant small defender Izak Rankine he wants to stay despite Essendon offering to make him the face of their Dreamtime at the ‘G game.
The Suns were spooked by speculation of a massive Essendon offer well above half a million dollars from the Dons, who want to boost their indigenous representation.

That deal had been relayed to them as the Suns attempt to broker a new short-term deal for Rankine, who has been white-hot in the last six games.
But Essendon is adamant it has made a single inquiry about Rankine and not even spoken about figures or given an offer.
The Dons were told he was almost certain to stay at the Suns.

The Suns deal is nowhere near that figure given it will reflect his huge potential but also the reality he has not been consistent in his first four seasons.

It wouldn’t be the first time an inflated figure was thrown into the market to leverage an increased offer from their existing club.

All signs point to Rankine staying even if rivals are being spoken to in an attempt to find out his true worth.
If he stayed he would be richly rewarded through his mid-20s when he had proven his talent for several seasons.

Love every bit of this.. except where they call him a small defender.

Seems like his management is pushing for a 2 year contract only. Like the figure, well south of 500k.

Fair enough to be honest. If he performs at this level for the next 2 years I would happily pay him north of 600k a year for his next contract.

If we lost him because we short changed him then everyone in the list management department would need to be summarily sacked.

Yeah I was thinking just pay the man. He is going to be our eddie betts, buddy franklin, Tony Modra Gary ablett. The player the kids want to come to the footy to see and will be wearing the no.22 on their suns guernsey. He will be worth so much to us on field and off field and we just have to keep him. In saying that though we seem to have turned the corner in over paying players. This group i think get it that they can't be too greedy if they want to have the ultimate success.

You can choose only 1
Atkins or Rankine..

😂 sounds like both be on the same coin.
Choose wisely
* the Atkins signing will haunt us until it’s over. I’ve got no idea what the club ever saw in him. On valuable cap we could be using elsewhere for more pressing needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back