2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
56% game time and 90% DE
his price just went up from $400k to $450k

But he is a free agent so its only cash
I think his value went down significantly over the past few weeks after it became apparent he cannot ruck.

got beaten by Chris burgess and thrashed by Grundy and Ryder.

clearly doesn’t fill a role as a back up ruck. Can take a few centre bounces when the recognises ruckman is resting on game day but that is it.

Will be good to see how he plays as a forward the next few weeks. Good game this week.

when I asked your board most people want to delist him so unless he can continue to take a few congested marks and kick a few goals consistently over the next month doubt we would have to pay 450k..

Last edited:

He might improve it next season, but what about when he's in year 3 of a 5 year contract and Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, and (hopefully) Hollands have all gone past him but we're stuck with him on big dollars? Not sure he's worth it.
I didn’t say he would be worth giving a big contract to.
I just said he’d improve the midfield which i think is correct.

At the moment going into next year we have 29-30 year olds swallow and greenwood
19-22 year olds that you mentioned above (plus Davies)

Miller is the only regular midfield player in between those age groups. Weller is more a half forward/ half back. Potentially Bowes could go there if his running gets better.

I think he’d provide a good bridge for the next few years but you wouldn’t want to be stuck with him after that. I’d be happy for a 3 year contract but that’s probably not enough to entice him.

Atkins.. well that was obviously a dumb move from the outset and hard to fathom why he would have demanded anything more than a 2 year contract.

I didn’t say he would be worth giving a big contract to.
I just said he’d improve the midfield which i think is correct.

At the moment going into next year we have 29-30 year olds swallow and greenwood
19-22 year olds that you mentioned above (plus Davies)

Miller is the only regular midfield player in between those age groups. Weller is more a half forward/ half back. Potentially Bowes could go there if his running gets better.

I think he’d provide a good bridge for the next few years but you wouldn’t want to be stuck with him after that. I’d be happy for a 3 year contract but that’s probably not enough to entice him.

Atkins.. well that was obviously a dumb move from the outset and hard to fathom why he would have demanded anything more than a 2 year contract.
Yeah I agree. A 2-3 year contract would be best, but I doubt that will get him. Just don't think he's good enough for the salary it will take to get him. I'd rather Dunstan who might take a 2-3 contract.

I think his value went down significantly over the past few weeks after it became apparent he cannot ruck.

got beaten by Chris burgess and thrashed by Grundy and Ryder.

clearly doesn’t fill a role as a back up ruck. Can take a few centre bounces when the recognises ruckman is resting on game day but that is it.

Will be good to see how he plays as a forward the next few weeks. Good game this week.

when I asked your board most people want to delist him so unless he can continue to take a few congested marks and kick a few goals consistently over the next month doubt we would have to pay 450k..
On the 2 points about his apparent inability to Ruck & Not paying $450k

he is 24 years old and started from a fair way back but he has developed his ruck work this year and is really strong in the vfl but clearly not that well at AFL level. With Ruckman apart from the really special ruckman most are at this age before becoming very good (not that Chol will become #1 Ruck like grundy/Gawn/Darcy etc

I think Witts was 24 when he was traded to GC and started becoming good

Not paying $450k , Well that would be great if that was the case as i believe we have a contract for him and he will stay at around $300k
We would take that and keep him.

Yep, had a double take when I saw he had 30 touches, did fu** all with them

Last week I agree'd but not today. I thought he was impactful and actually worked hard to get the ball. Still lacks that first step and quick thinking, but he has been out of top level footy for a while. I think if we let him go to a team who can compliment him a bit better we will regret it (Lyons anyone)

Last week I agree'd but not today. I thought he was impactful and actually worked hard to get the ball. Still lacks that first step and quick thinking, but he has been out of top level footy for a while. I think if we let him go to a team who can compliment him a bit better we will regret it (Lyons anyone)
Dont think he is anywhere near Lyons level, doesn't win first possession like Lyons does or is neither a great tackler/clearance machine. Most his clearances are off other peoples work.
Maybe im rating him to harshly but I just don't think his mixture of foot speed and poor decision making in traffic makes an AFL level starting mid.

Dont think he is anywhere near Lyons level, doesn't win first possession like Lyons does or is neither a great tackler/clearance machine. Most his clearances are off other peoples work.
Maybe im rating him to harshly but I just don't think his mixture of foot speed and poor decision making in traffic makes an AFL level starting mid.

Needs to make a few quicker decisions, but a few players were guilty of that tonight (Powell, Bowes for example). Maybe more games will help.

What showed tonight is Bulldogs were quicker and stronger—we really struggled to tackle them and catch them on the spread. Fiorini has the second most tackles on our team, so he’s trying to improve that side of his game but he is not the fastest player and lack explosiveness it seems. He probably has a few more games at least at this rate to prove himself as an AFL player and show his strengths.

People are critical because of his age bracket. Unlike Anderson, Rowell, Powell etc. he is a slightly older head and a past leader
in the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if our last few games have changed possible trade targets thoughts. Amazing the difference a few weeks in footy can make. Look at the Lions.

I wonder if our last few games have changed possible trade targets thoughts. Amazing the difference a few weeks in footy can make. Look at the Lions.
Not a big enough sample to change the mindset that the media has created that we are no hopers. A good showing for the remainder of the season however may change that narrative quickly

Liked the look of Josh Rotham tonight for west coast. Solid key defender behind the names of Barrass and McGovern

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

SUNS IN RACE FOR LOBB AS MOVE LOOMS LARGE
Gold Coast have entered the race for Fremantle ruck-forward Rory Lobb amid uncertainty about his playing future at the Dockers.

The Herald Sun can reveal the Suns have expressed a strong interest in Lobb as the perfect mature-aged key position star to bolster their ruck and attacking options.

Lobb is contracted for the next two seasons on around $700,000 per year and has not expressed a strong desire to leave after crossing from GWS in late 2018.

But his partner is considering work options in Melbourne, with clubs on the eastern seaboard clearly believing the 28-year-old is gettable.

Clubs including Collingwood, Hawthorn and North Melbourne are searching for ruck-forwards but Lobb’s age and price tag would likely scare that trio off.

His manager Colin Young said on Friday neither he or Lobb had courted a trade from Victorian clubs.

But he could not guarantee Lobb would be at the Dockers next season.

The Suns have not lodged an offer for Lobb yet but would clearly need to offer a three-year deal or more to drag him across the country.

They have already expressed an interest in Richmond ruck-forward Callum Coleman Jones.

Gold Coast’s injuries and recent departures have left their tall stocks ravaged at times this year with captain and ruckman Jarrod Witts out for the season with an ACL tear.

Ben King has shown exceptional talent and kicked 40.19 this season ahead of Alex Sexton (17) and Izak Rankine (16), with athletic 191cm forward Josh Corbett the next-best tall.

Chris Burgess has battled away valiantly in the ruck but ranks 23rd for hit-outs across the competition.

Lobb has kicked 20.19 for the year but rucked less with the emergence of Sean Darcy, averaging only 4.2 hit-outs a season.

Gold Coast has picks five, 19 and 23 in the national draft after being handed an end-of-first-round selection as part of its AFL assistant package.

The league has the right to take that assistance pick away from the Suns if they roar up the ladder but with only six wins would be unlikely to strip it off Gold Coast.

Most clubs have a strong first ruckman but are looking for a second or third key tall who can also play in the ruck at times.

It is why Port Adelaide’s Peter Ladhams, Collingwood’s Mason Cox and out-of-contract Melbourne tall Sam Weideman will all have rivals assessing their suitability this year.

Richmond’s Mabior Chol is an unrestricted free agent and showcased his talents with four goals against Brisbane on Friday night.

Not too sure on him
Almost seems like we're following in the footsteps of Brisbane in trying to set up the twin tower forward line. Brisbane drafted Hipwood (202cm) and developed him into a very capable key forward in a similar way to what we've done with King (202cm). Then they recruited Joe Daniher (200cm) who mainly plays as a key forward but can relieve in the ruck. Lobb (206cm) would arguably be that player for us but is even taller and potentially more difficult to defend. Good luck to any backline when trying to stop two very capable forwards who are 202cm and 206cm tall.

We'd also have a nice little collection of Rorys on our list with Atkins, Lobb and Thompson.

Last edited:
I just want to point out that Rory Lobb is third in the league for contested marks this season and is averaging just under two goals a game. This is quite clearly the kind of player we need in our forward line because Ben King definitely isn't known for his contested marking and does go goalless in games from time to time.

Add another two goals to every game we've played this year and we would have beaten Adelaide, Carlton, St Kilda, North Melbourne (2) and the Bulldogs. That's an extra five wins that would have us placed 5th or 6th on the ladder with finals just about guaranteed.

SUNS IN RACE FOR LOBB AS MOVE LOOMS LARGE
Gold Coast have entered the race for Fremantle ruck-forward Rory Lobb amid uncertainty about his playing future at the Dockers.

The Herald Sun can reveal the Suns have expressed a strong interest in Lobb as the perfect mature-aged key position star to bolster their ruck and attacking options.

Lobb is contracted for the next two seasons on around $700,000 per year and has not expressed a strong desire to leave after crossing from GWS in late 2018.

But his partner is considering work options in Melbourne, with clubs on the eastern seaboard clearly believing the 28-year-old is gettable.

Clubs including Collingwood, Hawthorn and North Melbourne are searching for ruck-forwards but Lobb’s age and price tag would likely scare that trio off.

His manager Colin Young said on Friday neither he or Lobb had courted a trade from Victorian clubs.

But he could not guarantee Lobb would be at the Dockers next season.

The Suns have not lodged an offer for Lobb yet but would clearly need to offer a three-year deal or more to drag him across the country.

They have already expressed an interest in Richmond ruck-forward Callum Coleman Jones.

Gold Coast’s injuries and recent departures have left their tall stocks ravaged at times this year with captain and ruckman Jarrod Witts out for the season with an ACL tear.

Ben King has shown exceptional talent and kicked 40.19 this season ahead of Alex Sexton (17) and Izak Rankine (16), with athletic 191cm forward Josh Corbett the next-best tall.

Chris Burgess has battled away valiantly in the ruck but ranks 23rd for hit-outs across the competition.

Lobb has kicked 20.19 for the year but rucked less with the emergence of Sean Darcy, averaging only 4.2 hit-outs a season.

Gold Coast has picks five, 19 and 23 in the national draft after being handed an end-of-first-round selection as part of its AFL assistant package.

The league has the right to take that assistance pick away from the Suns if they roar up the ladder but with only six wins would be unlikely to strip it off Gold Coast.

Most clubs have a strong first ruckman but are looking for a second or third key tall who can also play in the ruck at times.

It is why Port Adelaide’s Peter Ladhams, Collingwood’s Mason Cox and out-of-contract Melbourne tall Sam Weideman will all have rivals assessing their suitability this year.

Richmond’s Mabior Chol is an unrestricted free agent and showcased his talents with four goals against Brisbane on Friday night.

Jon Ralph is a used car salesman and not a good one

I just want to point out that Rory Lobb is third in the league for contested marks this season and is averaging just under two goals a game. This is quite clearly the kind of player we need in our forward line because Ben King definitely isn't known for his contested marking and does go goalless in games from time to time.

Add another two goals to every game we've played this year and we would have beaten Adelaide, Carlton, St Kilda, North Melbourne (2) and the Bulldogs. That's an extra five wins that would have us placed 5th or 6th on the ladder with finals just about guaranteed.
Surely Corbett’s worth more then 2 contested marks a game..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back