A-League 2023/24 A-League Men Grand Final Thread - Central Coast Mariners V Melbourne Victory

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are they during the season?
Indulging other hobbies, seeing their family and friends, working, or unable to afford 25 bucks to attend a game.

You can't expect 20,000 people to attend every week. they come from a small region. people should be pissy at the Victory and Wanderers who have almost totally dropped off and Sydney FC and Melbourne City who have never captured a big market.

Indulging other hobbies, seeing their family and friends, working, or unable to afford 25 bucks to attend a game.

You can't expect 20,000 people to attend every week. they come from a small region. people should be pissy at the Victory and Wanderers who have almost totally dropped off and Sydney FC and Melbourne City who have never captured a big market.

Sorry but that's a huge cop out haha. "Indulging other hobbies" wtf.

Basically you're agreeing with me that they're plastic as **** glory seekers.

I do think Aussie sporting fans are fickle. If their side is underperforming, they generally won’t show up to games as they believe their time is better spent elsewhere. This is across all sports in my opinion.

Glory tickets are pretty expensive which makes taking the family out unaffordable for many.

However, I agree with you in that there has to be better ways in keeping the fans there and filling the stadiums.

Glory tickets are pretty expensive which makes taking the family out unaffordable for many.

Yep. I didn't have a membership this season for those reasons. For financial reasons I basically had to choose between Glory and Freo and Freo wins every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. I didn't have a membership this season for those reasons. For financial reasons I basically had to choose between Glory and Freo and Freo wins every time.
I’m playing futbol on Sundays so I’d much rather play than watch a hapless Glory. I even used to work there so have friends involved and a connection to them but I would much rather watch Freo too.

A small article from Carlisle's local newspaper, the News and Star.

Ryan Edmondson fires Central Coast Mariners to A-League glory

Ryan Edmondson fires Central Coast Mariners to A-League glory​

26th May

By Jon Colman@joncolmanSports Reporter
3 Comments

Former Carlisle United striker Ryan Edmondson was the two-goal hero as his new club in Australia shot to glory.

Edmondson was on target twice as Central Coast Mariners won the A-League Grand Final.

The frontman, who left Carlisle in January to head Down Under, hit a dramatic 91st-minute equaliser against Melbourne Victory.

That forced extra-time - and, after Miguel Di Pizio put the Mariners in front, substitute Edmondson was on hand again to seal a 3-1 victory and the title for the second successive season

The result made it a successful end to Edmondson's opening spell with the New South Wales club, who are managed by the ex-Blues man's former Leeds United coach Mark Jackson.

And his two-goal exploits earned the 23-year-old the Joe Marston medal awarded to the Grand Final man of the match.

The victory saw the Mariners complete a treble, adding the Grand Final victory to the ALM premiership and AFC Cup they had already secured.

Edmondson moved to Australia after a season and a half with Carlisle.

He joined in the summer of 2022 and played his part in that season's promotion to League One under Paul Simpson.

In his season and a half with the Blues he made 52 appearances, scoring seven goals.

The ex-Leeds man then left United by mutual consent in January after interest from the Mariners.

He had told the Blues and manager Simpson that the chance to play in Australia was an opportunity he did not want to turn down.

I'd never even consider Hawks over Victory myself. Victory always come first fore everytime.

Haven't been a Hawks member for nearly 10 years now.

Most people have two days to fit in their leisure activities and obligations.

You really think they're giving up a quarter of their Saturdays every year to watch the Mariners play the Perth Glory? people have family and friends to see, people. want to do shit like cook or toy around in the garage or work on their houses or do the gardens. people need to do banal shit like go to the shops or get a haircut. and with the A-League being played in summer, people want to go to the beach and not sit in a boiling hot stadium. going to a sports game takes up a fair portion of your weekend. people aren't doing that every week. what about Swans fans? they get all excited when theyre in finals but as soon as they're middling the home and away grounds drop right off.

It's like saying 'where were all these people last Tuesday at the Tote!' about the Taylor Swift concert.

People are always going to go to big events. come on man.

Most people have two days to fit in their leisure activities and obligations.

You really think they're giving up a quarter of their Saturdays every year to watch the Mariners play the Perth Glory? people have family and friends to see, people. want to do shit like cook or toy around in the garage or work on their houses or do the gardens. people need to do banal shit like go to the shops or get a haircut. and with the A-League being played in summer, people want to go to the beach and not sit in a boiling hot stadium. going to a sports game takes up a fair portion of your weekend. people aren't doing that every week. what about Swans fans? they get all excited when theyre in finals but as soon as they're middling the home and away grounds drop right off.

It's like saying 'where were all these people last Tuesday at the Tote!' about the Taylor Swift concert.

People are always going to go to big events. come on man.
That's fine, they can do other things and not be real supporters. Which is my point.

That's fine, they can do other things and not be real supporters. Which is my point.
Of course they're not real supporters, they're just people rocking up for an event and to get involved in something exciting. especially in a place like Gosford with parochialism and not much else going on.

No one ever said these people were fans. no one thinks that.

Of course they're not real supporters, they're just people rocking up for an event and to get involved in something exciting. especially in a place like Gosford with parochialism and not much else going on.

No one ever said these people were fans. no one thinks that.
Thanks for making my point, I'm not sure what you're getting worked up about.

Didn't he just answer a question that you asked?

So that makes two who don't understand the concept of a rhetorical question?

Do you think I'm genuinely stumped for why people rock up for a GF but not a game against WUN on a Saturday night?

homer simpson GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back