Welcome 2023 National Draft #44 - Joe Fonti (Claremont FC, WA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Welcome to GWS, Joe!

Joe Fonti.png

Joe Fonti​

Height: 188cm
Weight: 73kg
D.O.B: 24-12-2004

What National Recruiting Manager Adrian Caruso says: “Joe grew as the year went on at Claremont and is someone that shows traits that suit the way we play. He is a really proactive and confident type of half-back but also has intercept marking capabilities that separate him from other similar types.”

STRENGTHS:
  • Athleticism
  • Impact per possession
  • Intercept marking
  • Speed
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Production
  • Strength
Joe Fonti is an over-aged draft bolter who enjoyed a purple patch of form through the WAFL Colts with Claremont, earning a call-up to the West Australian Under 18 team. He held his own at the National Championships, averaging 12.3 disposals, 3.3 marks, 2.7 inside 50s and 2.3 rebounds 50s, showcasing some of his outstanding athletic traits.

Fonti went on to blitz the Draft Combine with a ridiculous 94cm running vertical jump, 2.884 seconds in the 20m sprint, and a blistering 7.977 seconds in the agility test. He finished top five in all three, which would have further endeared him to clubs. Fonti also has a high impact-per-possession, which helps him catch the eye on-field.

At this stage, the over-ager is quite lightly built at 73kg, but a good size at 188cm. With his athletic gifts and aerial ability, he could fill out a number of roles at AFL level and that kind of upside is what may land him a list spot in what is expected to be a draft crop lacking substantial depth.

DRAFT RANGE: Late/Rookie

Last edited:

Good get. I was keeping a watch on Fonti through the draft period and, FWIW, I reckon he's an exciting prospect, well worth rolling the dice on. From our favourite feeder club too. I will watch Joe's career with interest and good wishes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back