Position 2024 Fantasy Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

But then don’t you miss out on the free hit of having them score well in round 0 and it being implemented in addition to their round 1 score.

If they spud up in round 0, flick them.

If they fire up in round 0, you get a free hit! … until they have a bye!
Yeh, I think any premo or close who goes (as someone else posted, 20pts over AVG Round 0) You'd consider bringing in.
Any rookies or cheapie who goes way over, you'd also bring in as their post Rd 1 cash increase will be huge.

Yeh, I think any premo or close who goes (as someone else posted, 20pts over AVG Round 0) You'd consider bringing in.
Any rookies or cheapie who goes way over, you'd also bring in as their post Rd 1 cash increase will be huge.
yeah good points as well tbh, does make for some good divergence in tactics this year at least

Clarry's ongoing dramas are making me think Petracca/Viney could be relevant this year.
Viney in particular, he’s at a very nice price. As we saw this season he benefited from no Clarry

But also both are R0 players…… god I hate this round (but they have the very last early bye which I guess makes them a bit more pickable)

Last edited:
Viney in particular, he’s at a very nice price. As we saw this season he benefited from no Clarry

But also both are R0 players…… god I hate this round (but they have the very last early bye which I guess makes them a bit more pickable)
Awkward thing about the late bye is
  • it’s cashing in season for rookies maxing out (so if have a premium on bye less likely to sideways them but rather hold)
  • more likely to have lost some playing rookies and may be a touch harder to get best 18 if carrying bye players

For rookies/mid pricers though who go big rd 0 it’s perfect as they’ve fattened and have the extra price rise to others so can trade them out on that bye (whereas rd 2/3 your probably carrying those cows through)

Awkward thing about the late bye is
  • it’s cashing in season for rookies maxing out (so if have a premium on bye less likely to sideways them but rather hold)
  • more likely to have lost some playing rookies and may be a touch harder to get best 18 if carrying bye players

For rookies/mid pricers though who go big rd 0 it’s perfect as they’ve fattened and have the extra price rise to others so can trade them out on that bye (whereas rd 2/3 your probably carrying those cows through)
I'm eyeing of the likes of JHF / Duursma / Ginbey / Hewett for this reason but most of us will probably have Grundy in our ruck line

I'm eyeing of the likes of JHF / Duursma / Ginbey / Hewett for this reason but most of us will probably have Grundy in our ruck line
Grundy is cheap enough and will go up enough by then to warrant it

While Walsh is cheap, how much will he really rise in 2 price rises to warrant having him play only 1 of the 1st 2 games. If he’s going well will still be value

Grundy is cheap enough and will go up enough by then to warrant it

While Walsh is cheap, how much will he really rise in 2 price rises to warrant having him play only 1 of the 1st 2 games. If he’s going well will still be value
Not going to be able to upgrade anyone by Round 3, so if you get Walsh after his bye you'd be sidewaysing a premium.

Not going to be able to upgrade anyone by Round 3, so if you get Walsh after his bye you'd be sidewaysing a premium.
Maybe maybe not
Sure to be an underwhelming midpricer or 2 chosen and a rookie who crops up leading to a minor restructure, or an injury trade that makes him a possible target

That's how I plan on dealing with him (if he looks the goods) I can't stomach losing a premo score in rnd 2 so I've got Treloar (for now) ready to make way in rnd 3, Walsh shouldn't go up by much in rnd 1. I'll be much happier taking Treloar's score over my 19th player, yes it'll cost a trade, but it'll release some funds and I'll be getting a player with better output (hopefully)

That's how I plan on dealing with him (if he looks the goods) I can't stomach losing a premo score in rnd 2 so I've got Treloar (for now) ready to make way in rnd 3, Walsh shouldn't go up by much in rnd 1. I'll be much happier taking Treloar's score over my 19th player, yes it'll cost a trade, but it'll release some funds and I'll be getting a player with better output (hopefully)
Bit of a gamble to assume you won't have any forced trades that week.

From memory I think the first 4 or 5 rounds I had at least one forced trade per round.

Bit of a gamble to assume you won't have any forced trades that week.

From memory I think the first 4 or 5 rounds I had at least one forced trade per round.
Yes, I had the same but over 15 rnds:oops: If that's the case then he'll just have to be an upgrade target with the associated extra cost.

Yes, I had the same but over 15 rnds:oops: If that's the case then he'll just have to be an upgrade target with the associated extra cost.
I think I am going to have to prioritise which players I really want from the early bye rounds. Wouldn't want to have any more than 3 out on a given round (even 3 might be too many)

Players of interest at this stage
R2 (Carlton and Brisbane): Walsh, Newman, Williams, Coleman, D.Robertson
R3 (Gold Coast and GWS): Miller, Flanders, Cumming, Himmelberg
R5 (Collingwood and Sydney): N.Daicos, Grundy, Gulden, Adams
R6 (Melbourne and Richmond): Gawn, Billings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I am going to have to prioritise which players I really want from the early bye rounds. Wouldn't want to have any more than 3 out on a given round (even 3 might be too many)

R6 (Melbourne and Richmond): Gawn, Billingsah
I'm thinking that even 3 premos missing is too many, you're then looking at bringing the 19th, 20th and 21st scores on to the ground. I'm looking at just the one/round and none in rnds 2 & 3. Missing premos in rnds 5 & 6 should be a little easier to navigate given that they can be upgraded or traded sideways.

Not too worried about the MP's as their cost could be around 20pts or so.

My ideal scoring structure (over the early byes) should be:

11 premos
2 sub premo/speculators ( Mrouch & Amon)
2 MP's (Williams and Fisher for now)
3 rookies (the best from 7)

If you lose 3 premos then you have to use 6 rookie scores (in my structure) and that could be a substantial hit in comparison.

The obvious cost for me is missing those early value picks that you've outlined, although I am starting Grawndy and have a plan to get Walsh at rnd 3 and Daicos in rnd 8

whats the word on sheldrick?

Is touch and go whether he will be in best 22. Can definitely be in there but who does he replace?

If he is named, he has had another preseason to increase his fitness. When played in the middle, racked it up

R6 (Melbourne and Richmond): Gawn, Billings

At this stage I can only see using three of those until Round 3. Then Walsh will be a big look, Coleman perhaps (but out again Rnd 12), Miller after that, Daicos and Gulden (another Club with close byes) have to be considered how in Rd6.

It's tricky!

At this stage I can only see using three of those until Round 3. Then Walsh will be a big look, Coleman perhaps (but out again Rnd 12), Miller after that, Daicos and Gulden (another Club with close byes) have to be considered how in Rd6.

It's tricky!
The counter factor to consider is the cost of having to use your 2 trades in a given week to target these players.

Those that start with Walsh for example will take a hit in R2, but will be able to use their trades in R3 elsewhere, potentially getting quicker to a "completed team"

The counter factor to consider is the cost of having to use your 2 trades in a given week to target these players.

Those that start with Walsh for example will take a hit in R2, but will be able to use their trades in R3 elsewhere, potentially getting quicker to a "completed team"
Early season trades are typically more about correcting errors/tweaking your team rather than upgrading (given prices won't have changed enough to truly upgrade a player) so it's arguably the ideal time to bring in a performing premo off an early bye (ie Walsh etc).

True, and the possible opportunity cost when some the best cash cows become evident and available.

In a black and white world - for every premo player you trade in from Round 0, you arguably get a 100+pt advantage over those who have and hold through two byes. For some that could be 1000pt flip. It will be interesting to see if that works out sufficiently.

Early season trades are typically more about correcting errors/tweaking your team rather than upgrading (given prices won't have changed enough to truly upgrade a player) so it's arguably the ideal time to bring in a performing premo off an early bye (ie Walsh etc).
Still get just the 2 trades/week which really should be spent on rookies. If there's an injury then that would be the ideal time pivot to a 0 round player off their bye

Still get just the 2 trades/week which really should be spent on rookies. If there's an injury then that would be the ideal time pivot to a 0 round player off their bye
Not sure the focus has to be on rookies. Can use those picks on structure more generally, eg switching two failed mid pricers for rookie/premo combo etc

Not sure the focus has to be on rookies. Can use those picks on structure more generally, eg switching two failed mid pricers for rookie/premo combo etc
Yeah, instead of rookies I should have said cash cows. It's going to be more important this year to get your team right by the end of rnd1 and limit those correction trades in the proceeding rounds which will give flexibility in dealing with players on those early byes. There's not a great deal of them but they are important in getting to a finished team.

Yeah, instead of rookies I should have said cash cows. It's going to be more important this year to get your team right by the end of rnd1 and limit those correction trades in the proceeding rounds which will give flexibility in dealing with players on those early byes. There's not a great deal of them but they are important in getting to a finished team.
Not sure anyone gets their team 'right' after round one, though. There's always tweaks and improvements that can be made. Just a matter of ensuring those changes strengthen your team, not weaken it (or do nothing).

Not sure anyone gets their team 'right' after round one, though. There's always tweaks and improvements that can be made. Just a matter of ensuring those changes strengthen your team, not weaken it (or do nothing).
Yeah, it's generally not the 1st Round that frustrates me, it's the 23 rounds after that which seem to give me the most problems:oops:
😂

What is the general consensus on a midfield structure at this stage ?

The category of players I'd say

Cat 1 - Uber Premiums - The top level midfielders that you could reliably put as skipper each week. Think Bont, Brayshaw, Merrett, Gulden type of players (900k+)
Cat 2 - Under Priced Premiums - Potential or historically premiums that are cheaper based on a poor year last year. Think Steele, LDU, Walsh, Miller (800k).
Cat 3 - High end Mid Pricers - Another step down, these players represent a little more risk but also the greatest potential upside. Think M.Crouch, Wines, Guthrie, Simpkin (600/700k).
Cat 4 - Low end Mid Pricers - Any player in between rookie price and 600k. I don't see any value in this category this year (last year there was Worpel and Callaghan)
Cat 5 - Rookies (300k or below).

At this stage my midfield is looking to be
Cat 1: 1 (M1)
Cat 2: 2/3 (M2, M3, M4)
Cat 3: 1/2 (M5)
Cat 5: 3 (M6, M7, M8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back