Strategy 2024 Fantasy Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So no premiums from the round 0 teams. Maybe. Haven’t really thought about it.

No problem with rookies and mid-pricers from those eight teams because in the Best 18 rounds their scores would potentially not count anyway.

Perhaps that will work.

Edit: just counted 27 potential premiums from the other 10 teams. Could be the go.

Last edited:
Went through a bunch of the prices looking for the Magic Number.

The article from The Traders references Viney's price from his average of exactly 100. Easy to work out 100 x 9030 = 903,000, but of course that final price will be rounded to 903,000. 9030 doesn't fit for other prices, so that's not exactly it. It is never a round number like that, anyway.

The best starting guide is Gulden and Taranto: different averages but same price. Seems that one gets rounded down to $1,015,000, the other rounded up. It looks like any numbers within a particular half of a point spread will work.

I'm using 9026.3. Seems the closest to it.

I think this works but you can probably only do it with one to three max and all from different byes. Otherwise you risk injuries and getting ****ed holding them. Someone had a great point that if Daicos averages 115 over 5 rounds till his bye. Someone only has to average 95 to score the same as him including Round 6 when he's on his bye. It's a pretty big swing.
Offset by only needing best 18 scores though surely? So you can stack your field with premiums and have a dozen playing rookies on the bench (if they exist).

I think I'm leaning a more guns & rooks approach than I have been the last two years and going to see taking high scoring Rd0 players as a unique and run them to their bye.

The upside is, you'll also have more information on these players (role, added fitness), built in price rises, and only have to take the ones that outperformed vs players starting in Rd1.

Offset by only needing best 18 scores though surely? So you can stack your field with premiums and have a dozen playing rookies on the bench (if they exist).

I think I'm leaning a more guns & rooks approach than I have been the last two years and going to see taking high scoring Rd0 players as a unique and run them to their bye.

The upside is, you'll also have more information on these players (role, added fitness), built in price rises, and only have to take the ones that outperformed vs players starting in Rd1.
If You have any forced trades you’ll be in a world of hurt with that strategy. But to be fair I don’t mind it

Obviously we don't have final prices, although they are now easy to do, but just in case anyone is curious about the difficulty in cramming a team inside the 15,800,000 cap - it is the same as last year.

'Priced at' combined averages of 1750 points will equate to 15,800,000. Last year 1750 points equated to the 15,500,000 cap.

I think this works but you can probably only do it with one to three max and all from different byes. Otherwise you risk injuries and getting ****ed holding them. Someone had a great point that if Daicos averages 115 over 5 rounds till his bye. Someone only has to average 95 to score the same as him including Round 6 when he's on his bye. It's a pretty big swing.
Just to take this a little further, if you factor in the rookie score that comes in for Daicos on his bye (and it counts in the best 18) then that '95' average comes up a bit. If that scores 60 then you're looking at an average of 106.

Obviously we don't have final prices, although they are now easy to do, but just in case anyone is curious about the difficulty in cramming a team inside the 15,800,000 cap - it is the same as last year.

'Priced at' combined averages of 1750 points will equate to 15,800,000. Last year 1750 points equated to the 15,500,000 cap.
Apparently the 2024 Stats Page can now be accessed through the app with all correct prices and positions.

Just to take this a little further, if you factor in the rookie score that comes in for Daicos on his bye (and it counts in the best 18) then that '95' average comes up a bit. If that scores 60 then you're looking at an average of 106.
Yes this is true. But then you also have to factor in the fact that you might have to take one more rookie score with Daicos than a team that started a non-bye premium, so add back 30 to the tot he other side (a score of 90 vs that rookie 60) and it drops back down to 100 flat for your other premium to score to equal Daicos' output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy and Gawn are still worth it because rucks are a different beast and if picking one or both enables you to structure your team better, then copping the one round hit is worth it. The alternative around their price is e.g. a Darcy who is just as likely to miss a week with injury or e.g. a Witts, whom Gawn should outscore even factoring in one less game. If you avoid them by going all the way up to Marshall/English then you are spending significantly less elsewhere on your team just to avoid a one round hit.

For the mids there are so many other options that it's not really worth baking in that one round hit right from the start imo. Better to target them as upgrades after they've had their early bye.
Soldo and Xerri the ones that interest me to take them on, both present value and if traded them to the other after the bye yiu prob get a good comparison of points on field and cash gain

Grundy the one whose so cheap you can’t pass imo

Gawn at 250k more than Xerri is most tempting (roughly 25 pts per game).

Or for those wanting to back in English it’s a strong for being able to get the extra game to justify expense

Soldo and Xerri the ones that interest me to take them on, both present value and if traded them to the other after the bye yiu prob get a good comparison of points on field and cash gain

Or for those wanting to back in English it’s a strong for being able to get the extra game to justify expense
You have to go Gawn and Grundy imo. Dees don’t have a back up ruck and Grundy just presents such good value

First draft :)

Defs: Daicos, Sinclair, Sheezel, Himmelberg, Curtin, Rookie (Rookie, Rookie)

Mids: Dawson, Gulden, Walsh, Dunkley, E. Hewett, McKercher, Sanders, Z.Duursma. (Rookie, Rookie)

Rucks: English, Gawn. (Rookie)

Fwds: Macrae, Flanders, Tsatas, Reid, Windsor, Mannagh (N. Watson, Caddy)

Util: Tholstrup

You have to go Gawn and Grundy imo. Dees don’t have a back up ruck and Grundy just presents such good value
Probably going to be English vs Gawn for me. Don’t want to spend up big but I don’t think Tim has hit his ceiling yet and I’m really favouring picking players with no bye entanglements.

In theory the bye issue would be straightforward: Gawn for five weeks and then trade to English for Rd 6 but as we all know injuries or a dumb sling tackle can throw that plan out.

Maybe with the round being a ‘best 18’ lessens the need to replace an injured player but I don’t like them lingering in your team because the next week you could find three must trades with only two trades available.

Rd 6 has English vs the Saints. Last year he scored 117.

Gawn seems to have a tough-ish start but ordinarily that wouldn’t be an issue. Scores well against everyone when he’s solo. Does age catch up with him? Has to soon but I guess that won’t be an issue early in the season.

After Grundy he has:
English
Reeves
Soldo
O’Brien
McInerney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back