List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s quite simple. We lack speed and our culture is soft. Playing Sydney shows a club with culture. We had it once and it is long gone. I would love to end up with egg on my face but I am confident our streak between cups will exceed Swans before 2005 and Melbourne before 2021. That’s the reality of where this club is at.

Watching tonight’s game and the Swans got a bargain with Jordan, they really know how to identify players that can play a role

Another I would have been happy with. Keays, Hinge, Banfield

Everyone keeps focusing on the untouchable in this thread, but ignore solid, durable role players

Hopefully Austin narrows his focus

They will get pick 19 anyway and he isn’t worth much more in a trade. Unless they try and make a point they probably will just take it.

I disagree here, forwards that averages 1.3 goals a game a really rare, if you believe the reports, money isn’t the issue, so North can match to force a trade.

To avoid having to trade, a club could just offer $1M for 2-3 years and then extend for 2 years sown the track.

If Hayward were to leave a team like Sydney, who’s first pick will be late teens id agree, they wouldn’t match but i think the Roos will force a team to offer the $$$$ to get pick 2.

What would get for TDK in a trade?

It’s clear to me he is a valuable player and clubs would rush to sign him but he just doesn’t fit our current set up.

With JSOS to return in 2025. Pitto signed on for a few more years to come and TDK a pre agent before demanding much more dollars, I think the time has come.

He’s not dominant as a ruck and certainly not much of a threat up forward, I just see too many positives (unfortunately) in trading him this year to free up cash and bring in some really good picks. He just hasn’t found his position imo after 7 years and maybe it’s time we really look to add in other areas of need either via the draft, trade or FA.

I have always thought we need a better 2nd defender to help Weiters and on paper we do, I’ve always thought we need a better third tall forward and small forwards and on paper we do, but last night and in many other games, its between the arcs we get beaten and the game is won and lost.

A better 3rd tall forward and a better 2nd defender would have done nothing for us last night, i saw last night and against the Pies, teams who just went in harder than us, worked harder than us and had more intent than us.

So I’m wondering if we need a better midfield mix.

TDK is also an issue, I’m assuming he’s on decent money, yet he isn’t the number 1 ruck and although he goes forward, most still think we need a better 3rd tall forward. If he’s the 2nd ruck and doesnt cut it as a forward, what are we doing?

Do we have a list balance right?

What would get for TDK in a trade?

It’s clear to me he is a valuable player and clubs would rush to sign him but he just doesn’t fit our current set up.

With JSOS to return in 2025. Pitto signed on for a few more years to come and TDK a pre agent before demanding much more dollars, I think the time has come.

He’s not dominant as a ruck and certainly not much of a threat up forward, I just see too many positives (unfortunately) in trading him this year to free up cash and bring in some really good picks. He just hasn’t found his position imo after 7 years and maybe it’s time we really look to add in other areas of need either via the draft, trade or FA.
I’m not a fan of pitto being in the side tbh
Does some great things at the bounce of the ball but, but on the whole, that’s about it. Though we are carrying too many injuries to have the luxury of really playing with structure but we’d be just about the only team playing two rucks wouldn’t we? Pitto in = Tdk contesting an already poor set up forward line
They won’t go back to TDK solo rucking, but he was doing fine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not a fan of pitto being in the side tbh
Does some great things at the bounce of the ball but, but on the whole, that’s about it. Though we are carrying too many injuries to have the luxury of really playing with structure but we’d be just about the only team playing two rucks wouldn’t we? Pitto in = Tdk contesting an already poor set up forward line
They won’t go back to TDK solo rucking, but he was doing fine
Pitto is taking on some unbelievable players and holding his own imo and it’s clear he is viewed as our #1 ruck.

TDK holds value and to either free up cash to get bring in players of need or extra picks, we need to do something. If not TDK (who isn’t holding down a position), then what/who?

I’m not too stressed

We will still make the 8 and win a final

Wont win the flag cause of pace but they are certain to address that issue in the offseason
Not sure we would accept that as a step forward.
l think the list needs a refresh & reset to win a premiership.

Not sure we would accept that as a step forward.
l think the list needs a refresh & reset to win a premiership.
Progression is never linear. If the swans win a flag, they've gone from a grand final, to 8th, to a flag. Pies made a granny in '18, couple of years of finals, bottom 2, prelim, flag. Tigers had 3 years of elimination final losses, down to 13th, to 3 flags in 4 years. It's a journey, we need to stop worrying this "it's a failure if we dont achieve x result" as a fanbase

After last night’s effort I think we can safely assume that Will Hayward ain’t coming.

Do we have a list balance right?
No…

We have too many sub standard players
  • Mirkov, Akeui, Fantasia, Durdin x2, Monahan, J.Carroll (15.9% of our list)
Too many injury prone players
  • Docherty, Cuningham, Martin, Cerra, Marchbank, Motlop, Williams, Durdin x2, M.Carroll, Walsh (25% of our list)
Too many small medium forwards
  • Motlop, E.Hollands, Cottrell, Fogarty, Fantasia, Durdin, Martin, Cuningham, Moir, Owies (22.7% of our list)
No pure midfield depth
  • J.Carroll
We need pure midfielders with pace and decision making.

I would love to end up with egg on my face but I am confident our streak between cups will exceed Swans before 2005 and Melbourne before 2021. That’s the reality of where this club is at.
So it’ll be at least 43 years before we win another flag then? I may as well throw out my membership!

Progression is never linear. If the swans win a flag, they've gone from a grand final, to 8th, to a flag. Pies made a granny in '18, couple of years of finals, bottom 2, prelim, flag. Tigers had 3 years of elimination final losses, down to 13th, to 3 flags in 4 years. It's a journey, we need to stop worrying this "it's a failure if we dont achieve x result" as a fanbase
l think the concern for us we have quite a number of players now close to 30, combined with the fact we clearly have gaps in our list in term of a more rounded front half instead of a one dimensional Curnow & Mckay set up, combined with the fact we lack speed in the middle if we don’t win the stoppages, not sure Cripps & Kennedy and Hewett is sustainable particularly against a quick mid field.

Aside from injuries we are going to have to refresh this list.

It’s quite simple. We lack speed and our culture is soft. Playing Sydney shows a club with culture. We had it once and it is long gone. I would love to end up with egg on my face but I am confident our streak between cups will exceed Swans before 2005 and Melbourne before 2021. That’s the reality of where this club is at.
Let's see how Sydney go without:

1. Doc
2. Saad
3. Cerra
4. JSOS
5. Jack Martin
6. Cotters
7. Fogarty
8. Mots (best small forward)

There's 4 of our top 10 players there....

All very clearly best 22.

A lot of focus is on Russell currently, and rightly so, but the heat should also be firmly on Austen. Holding onto injury prone players for too long and variable success with drafting has left us needing a bit of a list reset.

In the mid season draft:
- Max Hall from Box Hill to effectively replace Cuningham.
- McMahon from the 2s to effectively replace Sam Durdin
- McLachlan from Geelong Falcons effectively replace Martin

At seasons end:
- delist Cuningham, Marchbank, S Durdin, Fantasia (pay out next year), Akeui and Mirkov
- trade Martin, Durdin (or delist) Carroll
- bring in Battle and Hayward via free agency, or if we miss those 2, then go after Miller and Konstanty
- upgrade Boyd, add Heath Ramshaw as a rookie and, if available, Jack Callinan
- draft both the Campo twins
- keep our first round pick and take O’Farrell or possibly trade our future first to get up the order to take Luke Trainor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back