Draft Profile 2024 Mid Season draft prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article is horribly in-accurate, Firstly Teakle is actually bigger than Doyle and Doyle won the battle convincingly. Eastland is a better ruckman than Teakle.

As for other rucks in lower grade, have said many times Harry Boyd is worthy of a shot, definitely better than a lot of second stringers out there. Not only gets the taps but very strong on the deck and in the clearances compared to his peers. But probably won't...

Kobe Ryan by far and away the most obvious SA player for mine, he's the best player in the SANFL now and still improving every week, runs rings around his opponents but another who probably won't get picked up either.
I really want Essendon to take Ryan. Do you think Adelaide take him?

Howes has only played 2 decent games too though hasn't he?
Depends how you define a decent game. Scaife has two scoring shots in the last three games, Howes hasn't had less than two in a game this year. But yeah, I guess I'm not operating on enough evidence to make that call, they've both only played six games, and I've only watched highlights rather than full games.

And of course I don't know anywhere near as much as North's scouts do, but also they haven't had the greatest track record with KPFs since unearthing Larkey, so who knows how it turns out.

Basically, my opinion is worth exactly as much as you paid to read it.

Howes has only played 2 decent games too though hasn't he?
Isn’t he leading the SANFL for contested marks? That in itself is huge for an 18 year old.

He hasn’t had massive disposal numbers in each game this year, but he’s at least hit the scoreboard in every game. In 2 games he had 2 scoring shots and then the rest he’s had 3 and 4 shots on goal. The one game where he was held goalless, he kicked 0 goals and 3 behinds for the day.

Isn’t he leading the SANFL for contested marks? That in itself is huge for an 18 year old.

He hasn’t had massive disposal numbers in each game this year, but he’s at least hit the scoreboard in every game. In 2 games he had 2 scoring shots and then the rest he’s had 3 and 4 shots on goal. The one game where he was held goalless, he kicked 0 goals and 3 behinds for the day.
He was, not sure if he still is. It's a promising sign that's for sure. But there's a bit more to footy than that. See Levi Casboult.

Waalitj Marawar (West Coast) have expressed interest in dual-Simpson medallist Milan Murdock as the in-form East Fremantle midfielder shoots into mid-season rookie draft calculations.

The West Australian understands Murdock, 23, has been sounded out by the Eagles through his club the Sharks, while he met with Essendon at the weekend ahead of the draft on May 29.
It comes fresh off his starring role for Western Australia in their 63-point loss to South Australia at Optus Stadium on Sunday.

Murdock was easily the best on ground for the Black Swans, winning the Simpson Medal after finishing with 27 disposals, five clearances and two goals.

The inside midfielder is ranked no.1 in the WAFL for tackles (10) and is averaging 25 disposals, 12 contested and 6.5 clearances for the reigning premiers.

Murdock had a breakout year in 2023, when the midfielder led the Sandover Medal count after the first five rounds with 11 votes before injuries restricted him in the second half of the season.

He then produced an incredible finals series including claiming the Simpson Medal in the grand final win over Peel Thunder, showcasing his versatility by playing as a small forward.

And also this at the bottom of the article:

East Fremantle forward Jed Hagan had also garnered interest from the Bombers.

Murdock has been producing that level of footy for the last 2-3 years in the WAFL for EF, and suddenly WCE are now interested?

As for Hagan, if Essendon have watched the state game, then I can think of 2 or 3 SA small forwards who played better than Hagan.....but hey who am I to get in the way of The West telling a good story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FORMER PIE ON DOGS' RADAR

THE Western Bulldogs are considering former Collingwood wingman Trent Bianco ahead of next Wednesday night's mid-season rookie draft.

Bianco joined Footscray at the end of last year after being delisted by the Magpies following 23 games across four seasons.

The 23-year-old has averaged 22 disposals from seven games for the Bulldogs' undefeated reserves side, around an appearance for the VFL against the SANFL.

After providing another former Collingwood wingman in Caleb Poulter with a lifeline in last year's mid-season rookie draft, the Dogs are expected to make a selection next week and could add an outside player following the retirement of Aiden O'Driscoll and with Bailey Smith being unavailable due to a knee reconstruction.

Bianco chose Footscray in the hope it would enhance his chances of landing another chance and has nominated the short-term six-month contract option.

Brisbane is also in the market for at least one seasoned state league player and could look at Bianco, following a spate of long-term injuries at the Lions.

Poulter played nine games for Luke Beveridge's side in the second half of last year to earn a two-year extension and has since added two more AFL appearances at the Whitten Oval. But the wing remains a spot up for grabs at the Dogs. – Josh Gabelich

Murdock has been producing that level of footy for the last 2-3 years in the WAFL for EF, and suddenly WCE are now interested?

After we delisted Greg Clark, we’re in the market for a mature age inside mid we can inexplicably try to turn into a wingman.

Cal Twomey said "I still think Geordie Payne is a good chance for the number one pick" today. Doesn't sound definite though.
Well he’s probably one of the best available after the start he’s had.

He does benefit from Tasmania’s chaotic gameplay but still, should see him drafted highly.

If North don’t, Richmond probably do given they need everything. If he’s still available, Brisbane almost certainly take him.

How come didn't make the state team?

Was in the squad but they saw a chance to put him in the Under 20 side to play the Under 18's. I'd be giving him the senior game that's for sure. He's just a pure mid and a smart one at that so would have had no worries at the level.

Howes will be as good as getting a free national draft pick, barely over age and has been performing well with decent upside, decent kid.

Anyone know what the 'medical condition' is? :think:

First, whatever medical condition Jasper has, hopefully it is treatable and he gets his chance.

Second, frustrating to read that about Payne.

There was enough interest that Collingwood recruiters flew down to the NW coast (TAS) and interviewed him close to the draft. He has looked much better in the CTL than some of Collingwood's more recent recruits.

If North don't take him, Richmond do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back