Position 2024 Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s always cringe when people come in here and talk up their own teams players, but I just can’t see how you don’t cough up the $$$ for Bont. I think him, Gawn and Daicos are the three where if they get off to a flyer you’re just gonna be stuck behind the pack without them.

Here’s Bonts scores vs the first six opponents from 2019-2023

Melbourne: 93, 135, 125, 136, 105, 161, 107
Gold Coast: 124, 87, 133, 93, 130, 124
West Coast: 73, 106, 145, 156, 96, 162
Geelong: 96, 146, 122, 143, 109, 98, 113, 146
Essendon: 99, 105, 123, 115, 126,
Saints: 70, 94, 159, 181, 125

Doesn’t have an early bye. Never gets injured. Has gone under 88 twice in the last three seasons (67 and 82). Just think he’s a must pick.

Also plays North, Dees, Swans, Freo twice. Some of his best scoring opponents
I definitely want him in my side. It's just that his 129 avg last season is 10 better than he has ever done. It'll be annoying if he maintains that, but I'm holding out in the hope he has a quiet enough two weeks or so to drop 40-60k in value so I can get him in.

I definitely want him in my side. It's just that his 129 avg last season is 10 better than he has ever done. It'll be annoying if he maintains that, but I'm holding out in the hope he has a quiet enough two weeks or so to drop 40-60k in value so I can get him in.

Just my two cents, but I think the issue is even if he drops $100k, it is immensely challenging to trade in $620k~ player without sideways trading.

If you’re trying to use organic $$ generation, you will almost definitely need to use a boost and will also be needing two rookies sub $150 being brought in as well so the $$ works out.

Starting with him guarantees you retain him and can captain his sweet little butt for every week as well. Plus, with the plethora of rookies seemingly available, it might be the play to invest large to start and be more opportunistic on other mids down the track.

I think it’s always cringe when people come in here and talk up their own teams players, but I just can’t see how you don’t cough up the $$$ for Bont. I think him, Gawn and Daicos are the three where if they get off to a flyer you’re just gonna be stuck behind the pack without them.

Here’s Bonts scores vs the first six opponents from 2019-2023

Melbourne: 93, 135, 125, 136, 105, 161, 107
Gold Coast: 124, 87, 133, 93, 130, 124
West Coast: 73, 106, 145, 156, 96, 162
Geelong: 96, 146, 122, 143, 109, 98, 113, 146
Essendon: 99, 105, 123, 115, 126,
Saints: 70, 94, 159, 181, 125

Doesn’t have an early bye. Never gets injured. Has gone under 88 twice in the last three seasons (67 and 82). Just think he’s a must pick.

Also plays North, Dees, Swans, Freo twice. Some of his best scoring opponents
24 of 37 scores below the price you are paying for him

Not a bad pick but has never averaged >120 before last yr and you are paying for a 129 average. A good option if your structure suits but he will regress

Just my two cents, but I think the issue is even if he drops $100k, it is immensely challenging to trade in $620k~ player without sideways trading.

If you’re trying to use organic $$ generation, you will almost definitely need to use a boost and will also be needing two rookies sub $150 being brought in as well so the $$ works out.

Starting with him guarantees you retain him and can captain his sweet little butt for every week as well. Plus, with the plethora of rookies seemingly available, it might be the play to invest large to start and be more opportunistic on other mids down the track.
Good summary.

Almost all the ubers cost 2 rookie rises to get but not taking him allows you to start with an extra mid pricer / cheap premo to offset that. Neither are wrong just different approaches.

I like him because all things being equal he's a top 3 lock in his position and starting him means you don't need to force in a specific player at overs. You pay an initial premium and get a safe captain plus the option to finish your midfield with a choice of fallen premos rather than having to force him in as many felt they had to with Clarry in the first half last yr.

Is it really worth waiting to pick up Bont for 630k? Would still cost too much to trade in.

Kinda like hoping Daicos fails to save 100k. Gonna still have to pay top dollar.
Players drop 7-10% in price just by holding their average so he'll def be gettable at that price. I agree though if you have players who you are confident they'll be top of their line there's no harm in paying a premium initially so you don't have to chase them later.

The other thing with both Bont and Trac types is they are incredibly durable, prob one of the most under rated value measures is getting ur ubers to play 23 games

I’ve always been a fan of paying up for the big guns. I mean last year Rory Laird dropped a 50 in round one. An absolute disaster if you picked him. Cheapest he dropped to is 595k in round 9.

After that 50 he went 147, 114, 97, 135, 126, 100, 102.

It’s not just about picking these blokes up “cheap”. What happens if you have other trades to do when he bottoms out? Or you can’t find the cash from cows? So many variables.

I’d rather just pick Bont / Laird / Daicos / anyone else over 650k and ride it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More like vegemite. You’ve spread yourself too thin
Only changes I'd consider making is Bonner to Sharp & Touk to Libba.

Otherwise there's just way too much value to be gained in the other players. Parish, Touk & Steele are 110+ avg players, 120 at their best, all 3 on discount due to injuries. Martin will get DPP into backline with 100+ avg, and Wines is grossly undervalued with his positional change. Should be 100+ avg again.

Bonner & Berry have had enormous preseason games with great SC roles. The other rookies you can't pass on. Not sure how I can be talked out of starting this midfield barring R0 craziness with Touk

Otherwise there's just way too much value to be gained in the other players. Parish, Touk & Steele are 110+ avg players, 120 at their best, all 3 on discount due to injuries. Martin will get DPP into backline with 100+ avg, and Wines is grossly undervalued with his positional change. Should be 100+ avg again.

Bonner & Berry have had enormous preseason games with great SC roles. The other rookies you can't pass on. Not sure how I can be talked out of starting this midfield barring R0 craziness with Touk
No value going Libba over Touk, IMO. Touk's $103k cheaper than Libba, has averaged over 120 twice in the past two seasons (Libba has averaged over 110 once in 12 seasons, and is about to turn 32). Before the injury last year, Touk was still averaging 115.4.

Touk looks fit and firing – there's no reason to think he won't go 110+, really. This is not to say Libba's a bad pick at all (gun), but for 103k less, I'd expect Touk to at least match him this year, if not beat him. Sure, there's the bye to contend with, but that coverage doesn't justify an extra 100k, really.

Agree with going Bonner to Sharp (or McKercher), but use that cash elsewhere.

Things to consider (contrarian thoughts):
Parish 120 at his best is surely an overstatement. He & Merrett need help in the midfield, I can’t see him churning out 120 now especially with his game style (handballs > kicks, low goals, low to moderate tackler). Peak season average of 114 when it was just him & Merrett 1-2’ing to each other.

Miller only had 1 injury affected score, shared the midfield a lot more when he came back which again is a natural progression for the Suns. Anderson, Rowell, Flanders all chunks of the pie, Ainsworth & Humphrey go through a bit. Bit different to rookie Anderson, rookie Rowell, Fiorini & Brandon Ellis years.

Steele I can’t see returning to 120+ without a big change up in game style, both St Kilda and league wide. Game is too fast for him to be a pig. Great player still at the coalface, but I reckon 2022 is your expected ceiling now, not 2021. He’s not getting 29 & 8 tackles I’d think with the way the Saints play now.

All personal thoughts.

Things to consider (contrarian thoughts):
Parish 120 at his best is surely an overstatement. He & Merrett need help in the midfield, I can’t see him churning out 120 now especially with his game style (handballs > kicks, low goals, low to moderate tackler). Peak season average of 114 when it was just him & Merrett 1-2’ing to each other.

Miller only had 1 injury affected score, shared the midfield a lot more when he came back which again is a natural progression for the Suns. Anderson, Rowell, Flanders all chunks of the pie, Ainsworth & Humphrey go through a bit. Bit different to rookie Anderson, rookie Rowell, Fiorini & Brandon Ellis years.

Steele I can’t see returning to 120+ without a big change up in game style, both St Kilda and league wide. Game is too fast for him to be a pig. Great player still at the coalface, but I reckon 2022 is your expected ceiling now, not 2021. He’s not getting 29 & 8 tackles I’d think with the way the Saints play now.

All personal thoughts.

The reality is none of us have any idea what will happen, but the question is:

Will Steele average higher than 94? I think the answer is yes, comfortably.
Will Touk average higher than 97? I think the answer is yes, comfortably.
Will Parish average higher than 108? I think he's had his best preseason and he's the main man in the midfield now, no rotations out for both preseason games, so I can see him at minimum returning to 114.

Basically my entire strategy this year is trying to get as much value as possible and I can't see any better value in mid premos than those 3

Saints fans, how likely is Sinclair to play midfield when he comes back? Looking at your team yesterday NWM and Bonner held it down at HB but your midfield looks super thin and Crouch, Steele and Ross looks slow so Sinclair’s speed might be needed in the midfield. If Sinclair is playing mid Bonner will go 85+ and take bulk kick outs

tend to avoid footy now as much as possible prior to the season opener so really coming in blind....... any reason Neale's ownership is so low?

All personal thoughts.

Contrary to the contrary... (I do enjoy these kind of discussions)...
[This is very unscientific as I'm being particularly lazy]

58 stoppages yesterday in a pre-season game (notoriously open and somewhat bruise free). 9 tackles.

58 stoppages v. North at Marvel last year. (7 tackles)

75 (I think) stoppages in their second meeting, just 4 tackles.

(And a random mid-winter MCG game) v. Tiges...85 stoppages! Just 4 tackles.

Think I'm convinced that he just wasn't right last year, and still had decent numbers.
Definitely won't kick it as much as him 120+ years, but (and I don't know if this is a typo) but he DEFINITELY won't average 52m gained a game from now! 😁

Confident he'll go 110+ , hopefully in the top 10 or thereabouts for the Mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back