2024 Off-Topic Chat Thread - time for a title update šŸ˜

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL

297469894_5135086993256257_1418283732532120906_n.jpg

Had Kayo on in the background while working from home today, and they were showing all kinds of weird sports today. Among the ones they showed were:

• Corgi racing
  • Axe throwing
  • eScooter racing
  • Air hockey championships
  • Bed races
  • Pickleball
  • Break dancing
  • Stone skimming
  • Excel eSports (Yes, apparently MS Excel is now an eSport - nerds of the world rejoice!)
  • Air guitar championships

Had Kayo on in the background while working from home today, and they were showing all kinds of weird sports today. Among the ones they showed were:

• Corgi racing
  • Axe throwing
  • eScooter racing
  • Air hockey championships
  • Bed races
  • Pickleball
  • Break dancing
  • Stone skimming
  • Excel eSports (Yes, apparently MS Excel is now an eSport - nerds of the world rejoice!)
  • Air guitar championships

This...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Covid has hit the Phippa household.

Itā€™s taken me over 2 years but the wait is over. I have covid.
We're all joining you sooner or later, just like H1N1 the SARS-CoV-2 virus will circle the planet forever.

I understand other sports are going to have different mechanisms around trading but I find baseball particularly ridiculous. They treat their players like cattle-it's just embrassing. the players more respect then they're given.
Baseball in particular has a long history, only a little shorter than footy. It went in a different direction early on with professionalism and team ownership. Players were almost literally owned with the owners colluding on not allowing them to change teams. The Reserve Clause from the 1870s(?) kept players tied to teams even after their contracts were up. Then later when monopolies were getting busted, the NL were given an exemption to the anti-trust laws.
It wasn't until 1970(?) that Curt Flood challenged the trade, but the reserve clause was upheld by SCOTUS. There was such a stink about the decision, that a couple years later through arbitration free agency was brought in.
Players can move freely if they are not under contract, but can be cut or traded whenever the team wants. It is a wild west free market.
There were players I remember, who were good, but who would change teams every couple years through FA. They were expensive, so the team used them a couple seasons, then they moved on, always signing a higher paying contract. I think a footy player or two might be moving in that direction.
I never liked the way modern US athletes swap teams so much. Probably why I watch NCAA more, but even there it's beginning to happen. Must be harder for kids today than when i was a boy.
OTOH I think AFL players have too much leverage. If they want to keep taking a bigger slice of the revenue pie, then they should also have to give in on some issues. IMHO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back