Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I’ve managed to find another crap cafe. It amazes me how I can make a coffee with a lovely crema and yet these shops with $20k coffee machines come out with the deadest flattest coffee having had to transport it all of two meters from behind the counter.
If only they’d stick with Westinghouse.

I think the same gets said every year and then after a loss or two and a few injuries we start say we have no depth , but do agree our list is looking a lot better than it has in years
We had the second worst injury list in 2023 only behind WCE, was the only team apart from the premiers who was in the 8 from round 1, but people said we have no depth?
How is this even possible to argue?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well I’ve managed to find another crap cafe. It amazes me how I can make a coffee with a lovely crema and yet these shops with $20k coffee machines come out with the deadest flattest coffee having had to transport it all of two meters from behind the counter.
Coffee at RSEA park is nice!!

Maybe the beans weren't fresh enough, they should have delivered it express in an air conditioned Chery.

Probably caused by the grumpy 15 year old who's too busy scrolling tiktok to bother to froth the milk right

Probably caused by the grumpy 15 year old who's too busy scrolling tiktok to bother to froth the milk right
I could deal with that except I have black.
Left the cafe and thought I’d stop at Starbucks and give them a try. Probably even worse.

Do Italians refer to the coffee "froth" as crema or is it something western coffee snobs made up?

As far as i can work out , crema means cream and if you talked about it to an Italian Barista they would probably get confused and put cream in your coffee.

In the USA , due to the mexican influence it means something else all together.

Our motel over the Gather Round was the same last year - so beware if anyone is heading over there.

Re the Captain discussion I dont think Steele is a natural leader and struggled with injury and his own form last season. What we did see from Jack in our final against GWS, it was his best game for the year he was huge. Personally I would prefer to have Wilkie & Steele as co-captains, I think one would compliment the other and take some pressure off Jack when required.

I think there are big and sometimes unrealistic expectations on current captains, so we should wait as a long as we can before considering handing the baton to one of the younger brigade. Who knows in that time we might have expereinced some sustained sucess.
I remember posting the co captain initiative last preseason…makes a lot of sense, eases the pressure on Steele to some degree!

Last edited:
I find it's usually because they don't deep clean the machines enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like Jack Steele early days.

When Windy and Chito were academy prospects, the big wrap was on Windy with Owens while good not the huge prospect Windy was.
Well chito has looked like a superstar while Windy has been hampered a little by injuries and then he slotted into a role for Lyon's structure.
Windy hasn't broken out yet, but the potential is just as much as when drafted and when he does break out, it will be like Steele 2020.
He got the 2 for a reason, but no rush, in development or responsibility.
I think our development of young players has come on in leaps and bounds.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think development and drafting have both improved astronomically.

Even at the start of last season, Windhager was still getting hyped as the one to watch. Owens took a while to get noticed too. He started showing up on all the champion data lists as an over performer and then had a couple of eye catching games and that started people really focussing on him.

Don't think Windy is going to be an ex factor player but more your ultimate pro type performer. Joel Selwood probably the pinnacle of that type. Looks like he's 100% committed to extracting everything he's got.

I'm gonna gather round the tv set.

I actually enjoy Adelaide but there is no way in hell I'm paying $1000 a night to stay there. I'd rather go to the tropics and watch it on a laptop.

Even at the start of last season, Windhager was still getting hyped as the one to watch. Owens took a while to get noticed too. He started showing up on all the champion data lists as an over performer and then had a couple of eye catching games and that started people really focussing on him.

Don't think Windy is going to be an ex factor player but more your ultimate pro type performer. Joel Selwood probably the pinnacle of that type. Looks like he's 100% committed to extracting everything he's got.

It was round 4 this year really sold me on Owens. 19 contested possessions. Most AFL players will never have 19 contested possessions.

Windhager played most games in 2022, but wasn't remarkable. 213 disposals in 18 games. Followed up this year with 304 disposals in 19 games. Then there was his tagging work.
If he keeps improving he'll be good as gold.

I could deal with that except I have black.
Left the cafe and thought I’d stop at Starbucks and give them a try. Probably even worse.

Starbucks is so terrible. I've had it twice in my life both time overseas and had to throw it away.

Starbucks is so terrible. I've had it twice in my life both time overseas and had to throw it away.

Their epic failure in Australia was funny as hell.
I wish i had been a fly on the wall in their marketing department.

My mum's family are from Mayo, up near Ballycastle. I've never been but I'd love to check it out one of these days.
lovely area - pretty remote

Windy reminds me of Sydney's Josh Kennedy

Their epic failure in Australia was funny as hell.
I wish i had been a fly on the wall in their marketing department.
Good to hear about that failure.
Some people think friendships are forever - but if I saw a friend from Melbourne in Starbucks in Melbourne, yeah that'd be it.

I have to go in to one now and then over here, only because Japanese people constantly give gifts to each other, and a pretty common gift is a Starbucks gift card. I buy a bag of beans and get out of there before I get seen amongst all the fops on their iPads and iPhones.

Having said all that, if you're in a country like Japan where the coffee generally sucks I can understand people going to one. Hence my kickarse coffee machine at home.

I see Windy like Libba as far as how he approaches the game.

Hard work and discipline will take him far. He will need every bit of it too as i am not sure he will/would make it as a mid without a steely focus to get everything out of himself.

I admire what he's done so far, as his work ethic is on another level.

Good to hear about that failure.
Some people think friendships are forever - but if I saw a friend from Melbourne in Starbucks in Melbourne, yeah that'd be it.

I have to go in to one now and then over here, only because Japanese people constantly give gifts to each other, and a pretty common gift is a Starbucks gift card. I buy a bag of beans and get out of there before I get seen amongst all the fops on their iPads and iPhones.

Having said all that, if you're in a country like Japan where the coffee generally sucks I can understand people going to one. Hence my kickarse coffee machine at home.

Yeah i've only been in them overseas.
a) Its crap, but you can kind of tell it is actually coffee , and for an addict like myself a bad fix is better than no fix.
b) They have free wifi.

Its kind of sad that they built these huge starbucks on every corner, but their coffee was worse than what i can get from someone operating out of a van in the mornings at a pub drive through before the bottle shop opens.

Last edited:
Coffee at RSEA park is nice!!
Bloody nice coffee there agreed - the only problem is the ordering system needs a revamp - twice I’ve had people accidentally (?) nick my coffee - and then you have to wait for a new one - the staff are always good about it though

Touk Miller clone I reckon - & I really rate Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

Back