Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Phillipou will become a gun inside-outside midfielder. Ross is putting him in the middle and making him accountable to his man, he almost seemed to be tagging in the practice match....he will graduate to winning his own ball soon enough.
As others have said, he is a bit static and needs to get on the move...he has a couple of handy coaches to help him develop.

All those other guys looked like they could possibly hold down midfield roles, but Pou looks like a fish out of water. HF is where he will give us most value.
There aren't too many 19 year old kids holding down full time midfield roles. He was a few days off being eligible for last year's draft.

It might be the case that this year his best position will be half forward, but if we aren't giving him solid midfield minutes this year with an eye to the future then we aren't developing him as well as we should.

The kid is going to be a very good midfielder.

There aren't too many 19 year old kids holding down full time midfield roles. He was a few days off being eligible for last year's draft.

It might be the case that this year his best position will be half forward, but if we aren't giving him solid midfield minutes this year with an eye to the future then we aren't developing him as well as we should.

The kid is going to be a very good midfielder.
In other news, Pendlebury used to pl....oh f$#% it, never mind.

Nothing wrong with Phillpou's 300+ possession 15 goal first year but for a guy that can supposedly run it would nice to see him run with the ball a bit more this year .... only had 2 bounces last year .. always seems to get the ball standing still
I thought sometimes he was too keen to do 'the team thing ' and look for others, or a better option.
Not the worst flaw to have.

How many clubs have an AFL quality second ruck who doesn't play unless the other guy gets injured?

Rucks

Carlton: Pittonet, De Koning - YES
Fremantle: Darcy, Jackson - YES
GWS: Briggs, Preuss - YES
Sydney: Ladhams, Grundy - YES

Brisbane: McInerney, Fort - MAYBE
Essendon: Draper, Goldstein - MAYBE
Gold Coast: Witts, Moyle - MAYBE
Hawthorn: Reeves, Meek - MAYBE
Port Adelaide: Soldo, Sweet - MAYBE
St Kilda: Marshall, Campbell - MAYBE
West Coast: Williams, Flynn - MAYBE
Western Bulldogs: English, Lobb - MAYBE

Adelaide: O'Brien, Strachan - NO
Collingwood: Cameron, Cox - NO
Geelong: Stanley, Neale - NO
Melbourne: Gawn, Brown - NO
North Melbourne: Xerri, ? - NO
Richmond: Nankervis, Naismith - NO

I reckon only a few clubs have a serious second ruck, and I don't think we're a lot worse off than most.

Are we ****ed if Marshall gets injured? Yes. Would it be nice to have a quality second ruck who's happy to play twos until needed? Sure. Is it realistic? Nope.

Gold Coast have 2 very very good rucks. Moyle should be a target for us. We could play him first ruck and play Marshall around the ground and back up. Extend his career out.

Gold Coast have 2 very very good rucks. Moyle should be a target for us. We could play him first ruck and play Marshall around the ground and back up. Extend his career out.

He's tracking well at only 22.
You'd have to prise him out of Gold Coast though, Witts is 31, and their only other ruck is 18. So they'd not let him go easily.
They could always grab Goober, ( who probably looks like 50YO Chopper Read by now ).

It was great to see Wilson last Friday. I wasn't that impressed with the pre draft highlights package I watched but seeing him at Moorabbin was something else.
I can't think of who would be the last kid we drafted that was as ready to play senior football as him.
He's a 30 year old 18 year old.

His highlights were absolute s**t. My mate who follows the draft closely said that they'd put together a package that made him look vanilla. He was known for taking players on and getting around them by selling candy, doing trick kicks into the forward line and having a bit more razzle dazzle than some of his peers.

Somehow they made him as a exciting as dry toast with the clips they chose. he didn't actually mention how good an athlete he was though. Said he like to run but that's an understatement. Windsor and Wilson were my early picks for our first and settled on Wilson because of my mates endorsement. Then changed my mind about 50 times after that. Looks inspired so far.

There's seems to be a bit of a shortage at the moment.

Compared to us West Coast has :
Marshall --- Flynn XXX
Campbell --- -
Heath(21 YO ) ---- Williams ( 23 YO )
Keeler ( 19YO ) ---- Livingston (18 YO ).

If we had a spate of injuries, it could be that we'd be better using someone like Howard in the ruck, and having Cordy as full back than players that aren't yet up to AFL.
I recall Carlisle doing ok there.

A second good genuine ruck is something they have been trying to land for 12 months.

went after Moyle during last season and that fizzled out. Tried Goldy and Lycett in the Offseason and missed out.

Ross wants 2 rucks. He doesn't need them to be genuine forward rucks, But they need to give a threat.

They spoke with Lobb. but im led to believe that ended really quickly.

His highlights were absolute s**t. My mate who follows the draft closely said that they'd put together a package that made him look vanilla. He was known for taking players on and getting around them by selling candy, doing trick kicks into the forward line and having a bit more razzle dazzle than some of his peers.

Somehow they made him as a exciting as dry toast with the clips they chose. he didn't actually mention how good an athlete he was though. Said he like to run but that's an understatement. Windsor and Wilson were my early picks for our first and settled on Wilson because of my mates endorsement. Then changed my mind about 50 times after that. Looks inspired so far.

Windsor and Olli Hollands spent a good portion of yesterday’s preseason game on each other. It was an interesting watch, knowing how strong a runner Olli is.

Windsor torched him with his pace to kick a great goal. At other stages though Windsor would lead him to the ball but end up on the ground exhausted while Hollands was still battling away for the ball.

I think I’d prefer Windsors pace. But having Hollands tank late in games is invaluable.

I’m actually hoping Darcy Wilson has both. Watching him run in that match simulation game last week he makes others around him look pedestrian.

I thought I could see Mason Wood setting up defensive side of wing, and allowing Darcy to come hooning through out of the forward 50 arc. And each time poor Mason Redman trailed him like a mug.

In the first quarter Darcy actually comes streaming out and pounces on a ground ball on the wing and the trailing Redman tackles him high. Darcy Wilson gets behind the mark, kicks on the 45 to Steele and then just motors forward on the spread leaving Redman choking in his dust.

It really is impressive to witness, especially knowing that Redman isn’t exactly a slouch.

I get a real kick out of watching Brad Hill run when I get to watch games live. I think Wilson will bring me the same level of enjoyment for years.

Last edited:
He's tracking well at only 22.
You'd have to prise him out of Gold Coast though, Witts is 31, and their only other ruck is 18. So they'd not let him go easily.
They could always grab Goober, ( who probably looks like 50YO Chopper Read by now ).
No Idea where and what happens to Moyle.

But they are sniffing around another Key Tall at the Suns whos days might be numbered with all the talent that just came through.

But its early days with that.

Windsor and Olli Hollands spent a good portion of yesterday’s preseason game on each other. It was an interesting watch, knowing how strong a runner Olli is.

Windsor torched him with his pace to kick a great goal. At other stages though Windsor would lead him to the ball but end up on the ground exhausted while Hollands was still battling away for the ball.

I think I’d prefer Windsors pace. But having Hollands tank late in games is invaluable.

I’m actually hoping Darcy Wilson has both. Watching him run in that match simulation game last week he makes others around him look pedestrian.

I thought I could see Mason setting up defensive side of wing, and allowing Darcy to come hooning through out of the forward 50 arc. And each time poor Mason Redman trailed him like a mug.

In the first quarter Darcy actually comes streaming out and pounces on a ground ball on the wing and the trailing Redman tackles him high. Darcy Wilson gets behind the mark, kicks on the 45 to Steele and then just motors forward on the spread leaving Redman choking in his dust.

It really is impressive to witness, especially knowing that Redman isn’t exactly a slouch.

I get a real kick out of watching Brad Hill run when I get to watch games live. I think Wilson will bring me the same level of enjoyment for years.
Nas, Sinclair, Hill, Henry, Bonner & Wilson will be fun to watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Idea where and what happens to Moyle.

But they are sniffing around another Key Tall at the Suns whos days might be numbered with all the talent that just came through.

But its early days with that.
Ethan Read is going to be an absolute beauty, and I could understand if Witt’s wanted to clear the deck for Moyle and him.

But what role would he play with us? Backup?

I thought I could see Mason Wood setting up defensive side of wing, and allowing Darcy to come hooning through out of the forward 50 arc. And each time poor Mason Redman trailed him like a mug.

Darcy was a top 12 player but as was the case with Mattaes, slid to 18 because clubs were fixated with certain players.
It’s rare to get an elite speed and endurance combination, let alone the confidence & belief this kid has.
I read somewhere that Darcy has excelled at every level of football he’s played, coupled with being excellent in other sports!
Make no mistake, the hype is justified..

If he can do a Bad Hill and Henry comes on too, that will be a lot of run.

Marshall clearly plays his best footy when he’s the main man

He does but he was also developing then. I think we could probably make better use of him. Maybe even as a defensive sweeper when not rucking like Lyon played McEvoy.

Marshall clearly plays his best footy when he’s the main man
He does but he was also developing then. I think we could probably make better use of him. Maybe even as a defensive sweeper when not rucking like Lyon played McEvoy.

Marshall is brilliant as a go to marking target when we are kicking out of defence. Its rare that the opposition ruckman is manning him up.
If he's not in the midfield we lose that.

Corey Enright impresses me every time I see him at training.
Dont know why, as a punter I don't know how he operates but
1) he comes from such a winning culture
2) about the only one left from Rattens time
3) He would be gone if Lyon didn't think he could coach.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back