Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

Watching Binns in the VFL, imo, he is like a jack in the box, energiser bunny.
I would have him play in the forward line at AFL as I can see him buzzing around creating opportunities.
With that energy applying forward pressure.
He maybe skinny and need more muscle but he could be that livewire in the forward and if he kicks some goals the oppo has to pay attention.

I agree with your assessment of Binns but to then debut him at AFL level (sub doesn't count) in a role that he hasn't played or isn't used to is madness and poor development IMO

Horse is probably looking at the list and going... hmm we need to focus on locking up Curnow and Harry because the rest of the forward line is pretty average. This is where Voss really has to get Durdin, E.Hollands, Owies and Orazio to put in a complete effort and kick a lot between them.

Need some goals from mids, and don't make Hewett/Kennedy sub - consider rotating Cripps and Kennedy forward even Kemp/Marchbank to cover for Martins absence.

Defence is ok, although depends on Williams and his mindset (I'd personally have him as sub). If he's running around like a chook or he's still got mental demons regarding sore hamstrings/glutes/whatever I'd much rather not play him. Considering he's been subbed out this year in consecutive games with niggles I'm surprised we've not been overly cautious with him or given him a light game in the VFL. If it wasn't indigenous round wonder if we may have been more conservative? Since Motlop and Martin are not fit to play and we have no other indigenous representation.

Funny how people say the changes are awful...if Binns is selected... then it's...really like the ins lol.....given the injuries not sure we could have done much else this week

People just want shiny new things and Binns is the new shiny thing people will get outraged by not being selected.

I can see the narrative already for this week, we lose to Sydney and saints win with Dow playing ok. Whole reason we didn’t beat swans in some peoples eyes will be we let dow go.

People just want shiny new things and Binns is the new shiny thing people will get outraged by not being selected.

I can see the narrative already for this week, we lose to Sydney and saints win with Dow playing ok. Whole reason we didn’t beat swans in some peoples eyes will be we let dow go.
Nail. Head.

This game will be epic. Sydney have slot to lose. If we win they’ll be incredibly scared of our full strength team. Even a close loss considering they have all the advantages.

We absolutely respect all of our opponents, but especially the high quality ones like Carlton.

That said, this Swans team fears nobody, nor should it. And we will be without our former captain, current captain and our best KPD. So, like Carlton, we also have the capacity to become even stronger/better.

I do think you are a bad (or less than ideal) match up for us. Reckon it will finish less than a two goal margin either way.

Anyone have a spare ticket?? Happy to pay.. I live in Brisbane but I’m in Sydney atm.. Hoping to find one hopefully with the Carlton people coz I’ll be alone..

Yep, I go to a fair few VFL games, and still of the opinion that Binns doesn't have AFL qualities right now. Not wanting to pot the kid cos he's a real goer, but that's the way I see it.

He racks up plenty of possessions, but isn't particularly damaging in his disposal. He runs all day, but doesn't have leg speed - which is something you would hope, especially from a outside player with a smaller frame. He's also not real great overhead from what I've seen, so you'd be reluctant to kick it to him in a one on one - although the opposition might. Which is why Acres is such a brilliant asset - and why we miss Doc so much who also filled that role.

Either way, he'll get his chance no doubt - he's contracted for another couple of years - but right now, there are others clearly ahead of him.

We are one hell of a big team this week. I for one like having height as long as you can manipulate it to your advantage.
I'm a bit worried it's at the SCG (smaller ground) but I assume our coaches have a plan to beat Sydney and they do have a tall forward line themselves. Looking forward to this game and I'm not even sure why. 🤣

Interesting that over the last two times we've played the Swans the big fellas have manage 2 goals TOTAL (1 each time to Charlie, none to Harry).

Swans' tall defenders without McCartin still feels like a vulnerability we could/should be able to exploit. It must have been two years ago when Curnow kicked 5 in about 20 minutes and just about had McCartin in tears.

Might need a hero tonight. :eyes:

Interesting that over the last two times we've played the Swans the big fellas have manage 2 goals TOTAL (1 each time to Charlie, none to Harry).

Swans' tall defenders without McCartin still feels like a vulnerability we could/should be able to exploit. It must have been two years ago when Curnow kicked 5 in about 20 minutes and just about had McCartin in tears.

Might need a hero tonight. :eyes:
Harder recently because teams are hyper aware of:
1) The McKay and Curnow ability to dominate
2) How one-dimensional our delivery is to them

Not to mention Curnow isn't in the best of form, despite somehow leading the Coleman race.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We absolutely respect all of our opponents, but especially the high quality ones like Carlton.

That said, this Swans team fears nobody, nor should it. And we will be without our former captain, current captain and our best KPD. So, like Carlton, we also have the capacity to become even stronger/better.

I do think you are a bad (or less than ideal) match up for us. Reckon it will finish less than a two goal margin either way.
Okay so no Mills, no McCartin and Parker selected in the scoobies. Compare that to us, missing from our best 23 are.
Adam Saad
David Cuningham
Adam Cerra
Sam Docherty
Lachie Fogarty
Jack Martin
Jesse Motlop
Jack Silvagni
Matthew Cottrell
Make no mistake, if we manage to pull this off. It will be our best home and away win in ten years. Imo.

Harder recently because teams are hyper aware of:
1) The McKay and Curnow ability to dominate
2) How one-dimensional our delivery is to them

Not to mention Curnow isn't in the best of form, despite somehow leading the Coleman race.
Never the less we are 6/3, having played some heavy hitters, nobody belting us, with copious injuries.

We’re managing somehow aren’t we?

Not the same volume as us but Mills, Parker and McCartin are significant outs.

;)

200.gif

Okay so no Mills, no McCartin and Parker selected in the scoobies. Compare that to us, missing from our best 23 are.
Adam Saad
David Cuningham
Adam Cerra
Sam Docherty
Lachie Fogarty
Jack Martin
Jesse Motlop
Jack Silvagni
Matthew Cottrell
Make no mistake, if we manage to pull this off. It will be our best home and away win in ten years. Imo.

Agree - but let's not become the new Collingwood.

You know - "No one in the league could possible have more injuries than Collingwood."

Never the less we are 6/3, having played some heavy hitters, nobody belting us, with copious injuries.

We’re managing somehow aren’t we?
Post was about why mckay and curnow have kicked a total of 2 goals in the last 2 games against Swans.

I agree with your unrelated point though, we have done well to navigate the injuries and still have the record we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back