Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

The VFL should be a place where we try things out but also keeping to the AFL game plan so that they can step up as the next man in theory goes.
But I was thinking that Lappin made a good HF in his day and he was a skinny kid, Other teams have skinny forwards who do not apply great tackles but are in your face enough to apply pressure and force turnovers.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Williams re-injured himself. I reckon he would’ve done and said anything to play this weekend. I don’t trust him and don’t think he is best 22.

Marchbank is good at what he does at AFL level. He is injury prone but his injuries tend to be specific rather than recurring issues like Martin, Cunners and Cerra.

Cowan will be a player but he is clearly not ready yet. He panics when he gets the ball. The thought of Papley running at him tomorrow night is terrifying.
I'm not massively familiar with Sydney's forwards, but I'd imagine Boyd or Newman would play on Paps.

Not confident at all. Injuries finally catching up. If Orazio doesn't kick a couple he can enjoy the VFL for the rest of the year before getting delisted.

I'd love to see Boyd forward, but if Williams is reluctant to defend playing him at HF might be the better option

Although, not sure he'll apply much pressure with his current mindset

Williams has an opportunity to play up the ground and hopefully show something. Otherwise I don't see how he is best 22 when Saad comes back.

Watching Binns in the VFL, imo, he is like a jack in the box, energiser bunny.
I would have him play in the forward line at AFL as I can see him buzzing around creating opportunities.
With that energy applying forward pressure.
He maybe skinny and need more muscle but he could be that livewire in the forward and if he kicks some goals the oppo has to pay attention.
Not a bad idea - and have seen Binns kick some nice goals in VFL - think it suits to debut properly next week at the bigger ground and Suns at home, rather than Swans at SCG

I've read 10 pages of Fanta slamming...I'm assuming they'd be happy if Binns had been selected although they play different roles
Yep he’s not been involved much (not alone among SF’s bar Owies), but to be fair I’ve seen Orazio get into really good receiving positions several times only to not be used/not take 1st option by the guy with the ball under pressure, and some of those would have been slam dunk goals for him,
So what more can he do in those cases?

so maybe the MC are valuing some of that positioning

Watching Binns in the VFL, imo, he is like a jack in the box, energiser bunny.
I would have him play in the forward line at AFL as I can see him buzzing around creating opportunities.
With that energy applying forward pressure.
He maybe skinny and need more muscle but he could be that livewire in the forward and if he kicks some goals the oppo has to pay attention.
I’m not sure it’s a great idea playing a second gamer out of position against the top team at their home ground.

Williams has an opportunity to play up the ground and hopefully show something. Otherwise I don't see how he is best 22 when Saad comes back.
I hope Cincotta doesn't make way for Williams if his form doesn't improve, when Saad returns.
Reward the players doing their role.
It's hard to fit them all in, Cow will have to wait for the next inevitable injury.

I hope Cincotta doesn't make way for Williams if his form doesn't improve, when Saad returns.
Reward the players doing their role.
It's hard to fit them all in, Cow will have to wait for the next inevitable injury.

Cincotta as that lock down will free up Saad or even Boyd offensively. Who on form offer more than Williams and are less exposed defensively.

No brainer for me.

If I was an opposition coach I'd be kicking it to whoever is on Williams in the goal square.

We will kill them and then do Suns next week..
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Well, we'll find out something tonight, I guess. Might be a tough watch, but watch we must!

Scenario 1 for me is we play like the "old" Carlton, the one I fear in the pit of my stomach. That is we kick points, give away panicky frees 20m out directly in front and gift turnovers in the backline. In that scenario, game is over 5 minutes into the second quarter.

Scenario 2 is we play like the "new" Carlton and give a seriously good account of ourselves. If we get behind, we come back. Our talls will give them problems, our slow but strong midfield will relish the smaller deck. We won't string 4 quarters together because we appear incapable of that, but go down swinging and with injuries tying one hand behind our back, optimism can remain.

Scenario 3 is a pipedream, but if we get up in this one we are in the flag race up to our EYEBALLS. This is the #1 team, on their home deck, and their brand really isthat they are the most skilled, efficient and ruthless side in it - which on paper should be our kryptonite. If we could get up in that, we should be confident of beating anyone, anywhere for the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, we'll find out something tonight, I guess. Might be a tough watch, but watch we must!

Scenario 1 for me is we play like the "old" Carlton, the one I fear in the pit of my stomach. That is we kick points, give away panicky frees 20m out directly in front and gift turnovers in the backline. In that scenario, game is over 5 minutes into the second quarter.

Scenario 2 is we play like the "new" Carlton and give a seriously good account of ourselves. If we get behind, we come back. Our talls will give them problems, our slow but strong midfield will relish the smaller deck. We won't string 4 quarters together because we appear incapable of that, but go down swinging and with injuries tying one hand behind our back, optimism can remain.

Scenario 3 is a pipedream, but if we get up in this one we are in the flag race up to our EYEBALLS. This is the #1 team, on their home deck, and their brand really isthat they are the most skilled, efficient and ruthless side in it - which on paper should be our kryptonite. If we could get up in that, we should be confident of beating anyone, anywhere for the rest of the season.
I'm going with #3 on the way to #17

I'd love to see Boyd forward, but if Williams is reluctant to defend playing him at HF might be the better option

Although, not sure he'll apply much pressure with his current mindset
Boyd needed in defence at the moment
I would love to trail Williams up forward, he is smart, agile and fast. Williams would be a liability in defence at the moment and we are ok without him there

I've read 10 pages of Fanta slamming...I'm assuming they'd be happy if Binns had been selected although they play different roles
Need a scapegoat

That kind of player bashing has really helped us in the past 🙄

I think we need to learn from last year how we turned things around, going back to bad habits won’t serve us or the club well

I’m not sure it’s a great idea playing a second gamer out of position against the top team at their home ground.
I bow to the MC but other teams have played first gamers against top sides on home grounds (MCG) and they are unknowns so have a freer hand in play

Yep he’s not been involved much (not alone among SF’s bar Owies), but to be fair I’ve seen Orazio get into really good receiving positions several times only to not be used/not take 1st option by the guy with the ball under pressure, and some of those would have been slam dunk goals for him,
So what more can he do in those cases?

so maybe the MC are valuing some of that positioning
I concur with this observation. I have also seen him deliver into the forward half with precision kicks rather than the bang it on the boot most of our mids do.

Meh... what's the worst that can happen? :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Worst case? He gets run off all night and they score heaps of d50 transitions because he continually loses his opponent, we lose badly as a result and his confidence is shot for months because of the experience.

A lot of people here constantly bemoan poor development of young players by the club so I struggle to see the benefit of playing a young guy out of position against a good team in a tough environment.

With Cerra out surely Kennedy stays in midfield

Small ground and we have TDK Charlie & McKay up forward. Not sure we need another mid/taller player

It’s up to Owies Durdin Fantasia to be busy and get to every contest. I hope to see Williams up there as well taking Cottrells role
I have a feeling one of the smalls may have a negating role on Blakey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back