Autopsy 2024 Rd 11 Blues eclipse Suns with roof closed

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 11 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Williams had a great game

Cincotta was very good tagging miller…would love to see him get that role every week on the oppos best mid…glad vossy is making moves
Fair to say he mimicked what was done to Walshy the previous week.

I like much of what Vossy brings, but he still has some learnings beyond “contest”. Wonderful that we finally have changed things up as well as showing more selection integrity (forced or not) (Kemp, Cowan and Cincotta as well as TDK getting more than ruck cameos)

Gold Coast are average and games like this we should win 99% of the time. I was never worried.
Tdk was very good , don’t need pitto
Cripps was his brutal best very good
Loved Williams forward , creative
I loved watching the Mac /curnow tussle … he is good to watch and was giving curnow a bath …felt like Hardwick moved him in the ruck when he didn’t have too and then Curnow got going. Curnow loves the third quarter

TDK was excellent today. 25 disposals, 10 clearances and 27 hitouts. Amazing game. Have we lost a game with him on his own in the ruck this year?

Interesting they had Witts winning the hitouts 46-27 - seemed more even than that watching. I wonder if the stats men give those 50-50 taps to the bigger / more established ruckman.

Absolutely destroyed them with our run today. It was like we had extra players on the field - which I guess TDK was effectivley. Ollie was much better. Can't remember him getting caught holding the ball trying to do too much.

Walsh, Kennedy and Cripps comfortably beat Miller, Anderson and Rowell. Rowell was terrible... was like he was channeling 1999 Tony Liberatore.

Felt like the margin again flattered the opposition. Was more like a 70+ point win. Curnow in particular probably could have easily kicked 7 or 8. Harry's form has quietly tailed off.

Our kicking into the forward line is awful sometimes, comical at other times.

The defense looked more solid. Gov could well be our most important player at this point in time.

Zac Williams - what a game. When was the last time we had a small forward kick 4 goals?

The Good
  • Coaching group finally put their thinking caps on.
  • Williams kicking four.
  • Best game I've seen from Cowan so far. He'll be terrific for us once he gets 30-50 games under his belt. ATM the moment he's the sleeper to watch as he continues to develop.
  • Seeing Ollie running past for the handball receives.
  • Probably the best I've seen us tackle since the GWS game.
  • More of an even team performance across the board.
  • Ball handling was a little cleaner.
  • Curnow looks infinitely better presenting up at the ball carrier.
  • We won.
  • No injuries of note.
The Bad
  • Still got out-tackled by the opposition
  • Not enough pressure in the front half by our forwards
  • Taking our chances in front of goal is still pretty meh.
The Ugly
  • Despite having 130 more possessions than the opposition we didn't manage to get the ball inside 50 any more times than they did.
  • Once again we failed to put a team to the sword despite having a 40+ point lead in the last quarter.

Couple of things.

Voss said that the tackle count wasn’t indicative because of the other key areas we won easily and the last 10 minutes was preservation mode for the quick back up this week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really important win.

TDK as sole ruck - tick
Saad / Fog back - tick
Charlie fighting back - tick
Vossy changing things up - tick
More attacking intent from our defenders - tick

One on one defensive efforts - we still suck as all our defenders are interceptors by trait. We ship a lot of goals per inside 50 entry. Fix this please. Saad will help as he wins one on ones. Fix the defensive panic.

We didn't get our third until deep in Q3. Remarkable (in the literal sense).

I think it shows that the umpires are on a hiding to nothing. People exhort them to "put the whistle away", and then eviscerate them when they do it. Today was a good example of too few free kicks being just as bad as too many.

I think everyone is frustrated with the non calling of dropping the ball.It seems to have gone out the window.

It’s actually becoming dangerous with the 360 tackling and driving the player into the ground.

We didn't get our third until deep in Q3. Remarkable (in the literal sense).

I think it shows that the umpires are on a hiding to nothing. People exhort them to "put the whistle away", and then eviscerate them when they do it. Today was a good example of too few free kicks being just as bad as too many.
If they put the whistle away for both teams, most would accept it. But today’s bias towards one team who had 5 times the other at 3/4 time - embarrassing, especially when they decided to even the numbers up when the game was over. Most people aren’t stupid.

The Good
  • Coaching group finally put their thinking caps on.
  • Williams kicking four.
  • Best game I've seen from Cowan so far. He'll be terrific for us once he gets 30-50 games under his belt. ATM the moment he's the sleeper to watch as he continues to develop.
  • Seeing Ollie running past for the handball receives.
  • Probably the best I've seen us tackle since the GWS game.
  • More of an even team performance across the board.
  • Ball handling was a little cleaner.
  • Curnow looks infinitely better presenting up at the ball carrier.
  • We won.
  • No injuries of note.
The Bad
  • Still got out-tackled by the opposition
  • Not enough pressure in the front half by our forwards
  • Taking our chances in front of goal is still pretty meh.
The Ugly
  • Despite having 130 more possessions than the opposition we didn't manage to get the ball inside 50 any more times than they did.
  • Once again we failed to put a team to the sword despite having a 40+ point lead in the last quarter.
Cant win the tackle count when we had the ball 100 times more than them

I haven't seen anything from him in a while. People usually link his videos.

I reckon he would have been going nuts after the match.

Not his best effort, but still amusing...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TKD was massive today…I know Voss rates the 2 rucks highly but we looked slicker today without Pitto
I like what it does to Mackay -- that is the biggest benefit of TDK if he can come close to break even and supply ground assistance - plus we add a runner for free --
Maybe certain days two ruck really work and we can win off contest but our transition game looks slicker with one ruck whether TDK or Pitto I leave to match committee ..
Although our inside 50 count was way down for our possession dominance maybe miss cerra as that defensive mid (Elijah still growing into role when he switches from half fwd)

Great professional win by the boys but even though I’m sounding like a broken record we just have to sort out out forward 50 entries. How hard is it for the players to lower their eyes? So many opportunities wasted during the game simply because the best lace out option was not used.

Do we just not have the kicks to be @ble to do this? Can someone please explain to me what the problem is exactly as it’s been happening for a really long time …. It’s like the curse of that John Baker??? idiot that we finally got rid of a few years back after wherever he went he destroyed the line yet remained employed for years and years thx to his naughty pics of the cardboard king’s wife.

Played well today, very good with ball in hand.
Fantasia is a very frustrating footballer to watch imho, played well today but with a little polish could have finished with a couple of goals that could have been crucial. Needs to hit between the sticks more before I rate him best 23

I like what it does to Mackay -- that is the biggest benefit of TDK if he can come close to break even and supply ground assistance - plus we add a runner for free --
Maybe certain days two ruck really work and we can win off contest but our transition game looks slicker with one ruck whether TDK or Pitto I leave to match committee ..
Although our inside 50 count was way down for our possession dominance maybe miss cerra as that defensive mid (Elijah still growing into role when he switches from half fwd)
Hopefully 2 rucks is dead and buried, takes too much speed away from us.

A good performance. Still plenty to work on but we’ll happily take the 4 points. A pretty good 4 quarter team effort albeit it took some time to see the results because of our inefficiency and their ridiculous efficiency. Good to see some good contributions from outside the usual suspects. Hopefully we’re now in a position where we build into the rest of the season.

Last edited:
TKD was massive today…I know Voss rates the 2 rucks highly but we looked slicker today without Pitto

Williams cemented his place as our missing half forward…basically takes Cunners role

Cowan Kemp (still scares me a little)

Defence in general was pretty good…honestly thought it was a fairly even all round effort…Not many passengers left

Can’t wait to see Cerra back in this side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does Marchy automatically replace Cowan, Kemp or neither?

As an old back man, I recognise we can’t be winning every contest but I did feel Weiters is still out of sorts

King got some goals thru poor execution of the basics
  • W didn’t kill the ball (punch) in the goal square
  • W just let him get 5-10m in space inside the 50m - choosing to guard space behind when it wasn’t required - 1 on 1 Weits is a gun, he needs to limit the leading forward better

In light of the mattress on his leg, I thought he was serviceable - didn’t think it was huge or one of his better games

2 more games then we get a bye. Weit would be one looking forward to that bit of rest.

If we could stay relatively injury free until then we get Cerra, Cunners, Pitto and maybe Martin / Cottrell back it could set us up for a run at the second half of the year. We could start resting / rotating a few maybe... like some actual injury management type stuff.

A lot of water to go under the bridge before that happens though.

Fair to say he mimicked what was done to Walshy the previous week.

I like much of what Vossy brings, but he still has some learnings beyond “contest”. Wonderful that we finally have changed things up as well as showing more selection integrity (forced or not) (Kemp, Cowan and Cincotta as well as TDK getting more than ruck cameos)
Reckon Voss was rather chuffed (with himself) that they rolled the dice a little eg Williams forward, Cinc as a stopper - and it worked!

If you don't try, you never know Vossy!!!

I think everyone is frustrated with the non calling of dropping the ball.It seems to have gone out the window.

It’s actually becoming dangerous with the 360 tackling and driving the player into the ground.

Considering how much we dominated the game, it wasn’t until the last qtr that I started to cheer up a bit. I’ve never seen umpiring so bad. Pretty much the whole stadium chanting bullshit, bullshit was an affirmation of that. 131 effective tackles for just 4 holding the ball decisions (and I think a couple of those were last qtr).
I don’t think AFL umpires are THAT bad. There HAS to be some agenda from the AFL

Back