Autopsy 2024 Rd 11 Blues eclipse Suns with roof closed

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 11 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If they put the whistle away for both teams, most would accept it. But today’s bias towards one team who had 5 times the other at 3/4 time - embarrassing, especially when they decided to even the numbers up when the game was over. Most people aren’t stupid.
I've never understood why people think that free kicks need to be evenly allocated or even close to even at the end of a game. My understanding has always been that if you infringe more you will have more free kicks paid against you. That should be the way that it works.

Gold Coast are average and games like this we should win 99% of the time. I was never worried.
Tdk was very good , don’t need pitto
Cripps was his brutal best very good
Loved Williams forward , creative
I loved watching the Mac /curnow tussle … he is good to watch and was giving curnow a bath …felt like Hardwick moved him in the ruck when he didn’t have too and then Curnow got going. Curnow loves the third quarter
yes they have improved a bit as well with the new coach...more like genuine average...

Blues hit them with everything for 4 quarters only to get an average win.....away at suns would have been close probably for them.

i think we are down a bit in form right now...and going forward

next week will be an indicator where things might be heading for this year,right now i am only seeing moderate successes
we need C.Curnow to spark up .....nothing like last year !!! hopefully fantasia can also get going !!
we need our defense working well again....Gov back in is crucial
am not keen on Carroll playing week in week out even as sub......we need more mid depth.......looks very difficult

Last edited:
Williams has to play forward now right? Looked dangerous last week and slotted 4 today. Gets to the right spot, is quick, clean and gets his foot to it quickly too
He can crumb without fumbling. Something Owies and Durdin are struggling with. Never see Fantasia at the drop of the ball.

yes they have improved a bit as well with the new coach...more like genuine average...

Blues hit them with everything for 4 quarters only to get an average win.....away at suns would have been close probably for them.

i think we are down a bit in form right now...and going forward

next week will be an indicator where things might be heading for this year,right now i am only seeing moderate successes
we need C.Curnow to spark up .....nothing like last year !!! hopefully fantasia can also get going !!
am not keen on Carroll playing week in week out even as sub......we need more mid depth.......looks very difficult
Did you see some of the goals they kicked? They were pulling them out of their backside, yet only finished with 11 for the day. That was much more comfortable than people are making it out to be

How nice was it to have Williams kick 4 goals? Just took so much pressure off having him kick a couple early.

My theory on team balance is that when you are going well your team will get:
  • 5 goals from your KPP
  • 5 goals from your other listed forwards
  • 5 goals from your midfield and backline pressing forward
Give or take some accuracy that gets you to a winning score each week.

Yesterday we got 5 from Charlie/Harry (tick). We got 5ish from the midfield (Kennedy, Hollands, Cripps, Hewett, Acres) which to me is the biggest sign we are playing well.

We often get 4-5 from the other forwards but it is hard work. To have someone actually get off the chain and make that the easy part was really nice.

In fact, here's a decade of 4+ goal efforts from non key-position players

• this year - nobody managed it until Williams yesterday
  • Round 18 last year vs Port both Jack Silvagni AND Motlop kicked 4 on the same day
  • In 2022 - nobody managed
  • In 2021 - Ed Curnow kicked 4 in a round 23 drubbing. Eddie Betts kicked 5 vs Geelong in round 8
  • In 2020 - Jack Martin in round 1 and Eddie Betts in round 6
  • In 2019 - Cripps in round 12, Matt Kennedy in round 19, Newman in round 20 (Teague Train!)
  • In 2018 - Matt Wright in round 1
  • In 2017 - Matt Wright in round 6
  • In 2016 - Andrejs Everitt in round 10 and Dennis Armfield in round 16
  • in 2015 - Andrejs Everitt in round 19 (he won our goalkicking that year!), Tom Bell in round 4, Troy Menzel in round 8, Andrew Walker in round 20 and round 21,
  • In 2014 - Yarran in round 8, Gibbs in round 12, Bell in round 20, Simon White in round 16 (and Casboult as the ruck/forward did it as well)

I mainly include the last two as the point of comparison - in a previous iteration of the club, before the great rebuild began, we had a far more even spread of goalkicking, with players who were hardly world-beaters popping up every now and then.

Since Harry/Charlie took over as our focal points, aside from the craziness of the Teague Train and a cameo or two by Eddie Betts, non KPP taking advantage has been a real rarity, happening only in fairly odd circumstances (Martin in r1 2020 in front of zero fans in the first COVID game, Ed Curnow in a round 23 game where everyone was playing for holidays, and JSOS and Motlop both on the same day). But it's a real slog to get to 15 goals against good teams if you don't have a third or fourth forward kick a bag IMO, because they can usually game plan effectively to slow down the big boys, and it's unusual for the midfield to really dominate.

Until Williams yesterday. I'd suggested a few weeks back he should go forward and play Cuningham's role, but that was better than hoped.

Still astounds me the VFL Blues v Gold Coast couldn’t be played as a curtain raiser.

Shame to give patrons a bit of value for money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ground was slippery anyway, and the centre square was getting pretty choppy - for an elite venue - by the end of the match. Since you can't wear genuine metal stops anymore, I don't think you can play curtain raisers the way you used to. Surfaces can't take it.

Hopefully 2 rucks is dead and buried, takes too much speed away from us.
I like Pitto, but this absolutely.

When Pitto returned it was around 50/50 ruck minutes, last week TDF got SFA.

Pitto is great around the contest, but we lose so much when he is on ball and Tom is forward. Yesterday TDK was great involving himself in clearance and distribution chains. While we do well at stoppage with Pitto, we lose so much.

There is a place for both in rotations, to keep players up to the mark. Rotations to keep them “fresh” are certainly the sensible way to go. Pure statistical information is ridiculously over rated these days. We also lose a bit of impact from Harry when he plays solely as a forward.

Pitto needs to remain a part of rotations, but surely TDK has shown his value as the no. 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never understood why people think that free kicks need to be evenly allocated or even close to even at the end of a game. My understanding has always been that if you infringe more you will have more free kicks paid against you. That should be the way that it works.
Sure - but 4 free kicks for 3 quarters? The only way you would not question that count, if you where witches hats for the day, and not competing. Anyone that watched our game, would know that wasn’t the fact.

I’m still frustrated with what unfolded yesterday in this department.

I think going to the VFL is the best option.

Sorry, had more than enough chances for very little return.

But your happy to keep gifting games to an underperforming Fanta?
Ok then, we shall agree to disagree!😎
Fantasia got himself into some good spots yesterday, was an almost game and I'm hoping he clicks next week at the AO.

Back