Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
This place really needs a win

We are now once again questioning Voss's integrity, stating he has favourites.

No coach would jeopardise their career on the back of selecting players he "favours", rather than selecting players he and the MC believe can contribute to the gameplan and or game tactics

As for not being flexible, just because an individual here wants to see a player in a certain position, doesn't actually mean it's valid or would work

Although, there have been a number of tweaks in the last 12 months, which have also yielded success, that perhaps have eluded the casual observer
Absolutely. We as supporters are extremely reactive. The adage holds - "Things are never as bad or as good as they seem".

Hard to be flexible when so many are missing through injury. Do we risk upsetting a settled line to sure up another?

As it stands, we're 6-4, having just come out of an extremely tough 5 weeks of footy. To put things into context, we're the only team ever to be sitting 10th with a record of 6-4. Only once prior has a team at 6-4 not been in the top 8 after 10 rounds (Port Adelaide in 2018).

No coach would jeopardise their career on the back of selecting players he "favours", rather than selecting players he and the MC believe can contribute to the gameplan and or game tactics
This is fanciful. Every coach, successful and not, has had their favourites and bias towards some over others. It's not a bad thing either. Just is what it is to be human

This is fanciful. Every coach, successful and not, has had their favourites and bias towards some over others. It's not a bad thing either. Just is what it is to be human
What's fanciful is supporters being bias of wanting players in or out of a side based merely on fictional analysis

A coach might like a player, but they don't select a team based on that criteria

So this Suns team then, a bit up and down - to be expected of a young team - and something of an average return when travelling. Even going back to last yr, when playing away they tend to not show up unless it's in Darwin.

They've had an extra break too, Thursday game and didn't travel home until Sunday iirc staying back in Darwin a few days. It's been very cold on the Gold Coast lately for this time of yr so staying in the warm may help with some recovery. Guys have been managed over this 2 week Darwin trip as well, so I wouldn't expect anything approaching a tired group.

Assuming they do turn up, which we have to, they have the ability to match us in the contested ball game - almost through Rowell alone. It's gone under the radar but he's been top end elite this season - for whatever you give it Champion Data has had him as a top 5 player all yr, was in the top 3 for a fair while iirc. Anderson has just been going but seems to have found form the past 2 or 3 weeks and his finding space and being damaging again. Miller is doing as Miller does.

Other guys have bobbed up now, Davies (who I've never really rated tbf) is coming off a career game while Humphries also has hit form and is looking physically stronger than ever, he's always had explosiveness but is busting tackles as well now.

They've put an emphasis on the rebounding off half back too, shifting Sexton and Flanders back who are both racking up possessions and are creating and streaming forward. Almost Richmond like, which shouldn't be surprising, but not quite as chaotic. More skill based so far imo than just outright chaos the ball forward.

The big one in the backline is Mac Andrew - he's flying around everywhere intercepting and spoiling everything. Ball in hand he worries me a fair bit, but kick it in his area and you can be sure it's going to be cut off. 1v1 I'm not so sure he's strong enough to go with McKay/Curnow yet but playing as the 3rd defender and playing that "help" role, he's unbelievable already.

The forwardline intrigues me. I don't see a standout - despite Kings goal score line. King is pushed off the ball too easily for me and sometimes doesn't work hard enough or hit the contest hard enough. But somehow he's kicked lots of goals - I think through transition. He's found himself in space thanks to the quick bounce of half back. Lukosius.. I don't know he's about as flakey as they come at times. Could get hot and kick 4 or could just as easily get pushed off the footy like a 10 yr old playing against Dad. Aisnworth is playing semi-forward/wing at the moment and has found himself drifting to the edge of 50 taking long kicks, or drifting down the back side of the play from a wing left open in the pocket - almost Acres/Cottrell like. Something to watch for, don't want to be napping.

We should handle them, but if their transition game gets going we could get found out - which is the blueprint against us at the moment, and just so happens to be the part of the game they're pushing to develop right now.

Want to make special mention of Walter. If he's back in the side this week, keep an eye on him.

For weeks now I've felt like he's this close to completely taking a game apart. You watch how often he just almost pulls off the spectacular. The marks he fly's for, the desperate tackles, the busting a gut to nearly get a ball. It feels like he's 3% off from having these marks stick or getting the ball he's trying to get, and once he does he'll do Charlie-esque things and then some.

He might finish with a stat line of 6 possessions and 1 goal and you'll think he did next to nothing, but watch how many contests he almost dominates and you'll see what's coming with this boy, and imo it's not far off. PS - when he tackles he tackles to hurt - not in a dirty/cheap way, but in a "I'm running through you when I tackle" as opposed to a bear hug.

For an 18 yr old he sure doesn't look or play like one - physically way ahead of where he should be much like Reid.

I am confident of a better showing.

On the small SCG in greasy conditions (it didn't seem too bad at the start of the game but progressively got slipperier as the game progressed) play 2 rucks was a mistake. Only Weiters injury saved playing 4 tall defenders from being a mistake.

Small ground meant Walsh wasn't able to outwork his tag and our distances runners weren't able to spread the field.

In those conditions precision kicking to retain possession became hard as marking became more difficult. It suited the ball being moved with hard running which is not this teams forte especially with our quickest players being injured. They out pressured our mids at the contest causing fumbles to get the ball to the outside. Rowbottom had 16 tackles and some of them were when Cripps had the ball.

We saw the problems of Kennendy/Hewitt and Cripps in the same midfield without ability to run quicker players through the middle in relief.

Under the roof we should be able to play our game with a few players returning.

Our midfield is desperate for a few blokes who can go in there, run like hell and lay a heap of tackles and are quick enough to compete on the outside. We're two good quick pressure mids away from being a competitor. Currently our ability to apply pressure is very poor. If Cowan or Cincotta show signs of being this then we should push it. We're too precious about who we play on the ball.

What's fanciful is supporters being bias of wanting players in or out of a side based merely on fictional analysis

A coach might like a player, but they don't select a team based on that criteria
Coaches may display a "bias" but that's purely on the basis they believe said "advantaged" player can play to their system and therefore more likely to result in a victory for the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton by 60. Statement game
That would be nice!

I can’t help feeling the size of the loss to the Swans & lack of player continuity will restrict our effectiveness for a couple of weeks more.

Can see this being a tight game.

Confidence & continuity - hoping we start building on each starting from this week.

As for not being flexible, just because an individual here wants to see a player in a certain position, doesn't actually mean it's valid or would work

Although, there have been a number of tweaks in the last 12 months, which have also yielded success, that perhaps have eluded the casual observer
Well said.

Mods can we ban Arrow please…… talking too much sense…..🤣

So if fog and Motts come in and owies holds his spot…do we run Williams through the middle ?

I can’t see a place for him at half back m…clubs will isolate him deep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would give Williams another go at half forward or send him to Humphrey before giving him another chance in the middle.

If he could take Humphrey to release Cincotta to the middle I would prefer that option.

I would give Williams another go at half forward or send him to Humphrey before giving him another chance in the middle.

If he could take Humphrey to release Cincotta to the middle I would prefer that option.

Humphrey would maul him

Cinc perfect match up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every supporter has a form of selection delusion caused by the blue fog.
Pretty sure the coaches are guilty as well, certain players are given more allowance than others.(granted, injuries have limited their options)

Quite confident that Voss was responsible for trading in Fanta on a 2 year deal.

who is boyd playing on?

We don't need Boyd playing a lockdown or hard defensive role. We need him worrying about getting the ball in his hands. He's our best distributor.

In a way, it's no different to how Melbourne use Lever. He's never assigned a hard defensive match up. His strength to that team is his ability to play interceptor. He covers superbly for that unit.

Boyd has to be the guy we're prepared to release and the others have to cover for.

A better example might be GWS' use of Whitfield across half back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back