Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
I’m sure(I really hope) with hopefully a few pieces to the puzzle back this week we’ll come out breathing fire with some real intent and flare.
Want to see us running in waves off half back linking up through the midfield, changing angles ect and get the thing into the forwards as quickly as possible to give them a chance.
I hear you buddy, thinking the same.

With Saad back this week where does that leave Williams?

He’s a liability in the backline IMO.Ive advocated before the pre season he go through the midfield but I think he can become a very good small forward.

He’s quick,creative and has the talent.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree but the MC don't seem to have any imagination to make this type of statement.

That's what we had to do on Friday night and on the SCG I thought it would be easier to accomplish. Think we were a bit off mentally. The desire was not at top levels based on what I saw. Need to get it back quick as it's the only way we win games. If our pressure is off slightly we get opened up. It's a hard way to play and I don't think it's sustainable. It's why we have to add different personnel to take advantage of our clearance game. We need more pace and skill in the middle and up forward. Maybe, with Saady returning, we can add Cinc to the midfield mix as others have suggested. What do we have to lose?
Is there a missed tackle stat somewhere - that highlights your points well....

He’s a liability in the backline IMO.Ive advocated before the pre season he go through the midfield but I think he can become a very good small forward.

Zac should be persevered with in the forward half. He is generally a good kick and has genuine leg-speed.
The return of Saady will make a huge difference. We have really been missing his nous, game awareness, hardness in one on one's and of course pace. But, it is his kicking that we have been missing more than anything else. Those 40 to 50 metre bullet passes of his are so good.
Motlop should be able to get on the end of a couple this week. We have been carrying small forwards who are not performing at anywhere near AFL standard over the last few weeks. Would be terrific to have Fog back as well. We have been unable to lock the ball in our forward 50 recently and we have really been missing Fogs pressure, tackling and 1 %ers. He does not kick many himself, but he is critically important in our set up.

Yep spent some time there and didn’t look out of place.Just think he offers something different.

I agree I thought he looked good there - was responding to the poster saying the MC don't have the imagination to make that move when they just did...

Way too simplistic.

If you win the ball and use it well, the alleged speed issue is a non issue.

A fast thinker is way 'quicker' than a slow thinker who runs a 2.8 sec 20m.

Every day of the week.

If you've coughed the ball up cheaply, Gulden's chances of stopping the ball movement forward are negligibly better than George Hewett's on any given day.

Though Hewett's bad days invariably see him making slow decisions and getting caught....
Not what I see at all, you need to meet pressure with pressure. If you haven't got the closing speed you can't and you are vulnerable on the outside. Only have to see how much effort we go to to keep the ball in close.

Williams spent some time forward against Sydney so I suspect he’ll spend a lot more of his time there against the Suns.

If we had Doc, Martin, mots, fog, Cotts etc available I’d imagine he wouldn’t be in the team, no longer a best 22 player IMO.

If we had Doc, Martin, mots, fog, Cotts etc available I’d imagine he wouldn’t be in the team, no longer a best 22 player IMO.
Agree with this. Everyone available I think he misses fairly easily.

But not to worry, the chances of enough being fit to keep him out is just about naught.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon fwd for sure, looked alright there in the 4th last week. Coin toss to replace Fantasia and Durdin ...

I don't want Durdin or Fantasia in this week. They both just can't get their hands on the ball, or apply enough pressure when they haven't got the ball. I hope Fog and Mots are available.
Fogs and Motlop completely changes our forward line structure and actually keeps their defenders honest

Motlop Charlie Owies
E. Hollands McKay Fogarty

Please and thank you

Yes they sent him back forward again. But they panicked and threw him back throught the bulk middle of the game.
Bizarrely did the same with Curnow in the third Qtr. Also noticed Harry down there a few times for some reason.

Then when we did regain possession and have repeat inside 50s Curnow was 80m from where we needed him.

I think he pulls the trigger on this way too often and too early. It should be reserved for the last 2 mins of a game at the most when trying to hold on, not at half/qtr time, or for large stints in the 4th.

Bizarrely did the same with Curnow in the third Qtr. Also noticed Harry down there a few times for some reason.

Then when we did regain possession and have repeat inside 50s Curnow was 80m from where we needed him.

I think he pulls the trigger on this way too often and too early. It should be reserved for the last 2 mins of a game at the most when trying to hold on, not at half/qtr time, or for large stints in the 4th.

It is a tactic though to stop the '5 goal runs' we were prone to. That's how I saw it. I saw the thinking as 'the game is getting away from us and we have to stop them scoring for the next 5-10 mins (for example)'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back