Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
Sucks for Pittonet but not for the team IMO, everytime we make a change that favours run, we tend to improve.

Knowing what we know...

Boyd Weitering McGovern
Saad Marchbank Williams
Acres Cripps Kemp
Hollands Curnow Hollands
Motlop McKay Kennedy
DeKoning Walsh Hewett
Newman Binns Fogarty Owies
Cincotta

IN: Saad Motlop Binns Fogarty
OUT: Pittonet Durdin Cincotta* Fantasia

I like the backline. IMO that is our best backline, and while it's fairly underdone, it's one of the best in the comp. The problem our backline has been suffering from is that that is a really good intercepting and rebounding defence that can't do those things because the pressure is not where it needs to be around the middle of the ground. Finally we get to see out best 22 back 7. An underdone version of it but that is our best backline.

The midfield is ok. I don't particularly rate our midfield. It's good, but it's not great. It's good at winning the ball, contested footy. It's pretty poor on the outside, it lacks closing speed and is pretty poor at applying pressure. Cripps and Walsh are prime quality mids. Hewett is a journeyman as is Kennedy. The better sides have their two or three cream mids and the rest are pressure mids. We have two or three cream mids and the rest are treacle slow and can't apply pressure against decent sides. On the wings, Acres is an elite winger. Hollands has been up and down on the other wing. I am very very keen to see Kemp on the wing. He's got speed, endurance, is a natural offensive player and is the perfect winger to drop back in defence as a lose man. He's got the perfect wingman profile.

The forward line has some quality coming back. Motlop back, he's going to be rusty and probably offer very little defensive work but he will kick goals. Kennedy I don't particularly like forward but we have no one else and he can at least give a contest and kick the odd goal. I think we are botching Ollie Hollands development developing him in only one position, like we are so many. I want to see him have a run in the forward line in Cottrell's role. Run like mad, push forward hard and try and kick some goals.

Roles. Kennedy to get onball time. Fogarty to get a little. Elijah Hollands to get a lot of onball time. Holland's future should be in the middle for us. Binns to come in and play as a wing rotation but also spend a little time forward. I'd also like to see Kemp rest forward a fair bit as well.

I just don't think we will see this though. Coaching wise there is very very little out of the box thinking.

Out of 21 kicks on the weekend Naicos hit 6 targets.
Wow.

I don't watch many games that Carlton aren't involved with.
Naicos is great to watch, for the confidence he has with his delivery, I don't think any other player takes comparable risks.
Some might say, including his coach, that occasionally he bites off a bit too much.

Out of 21 kicks on the weekend Naicos hit 6 targets.
That's unreal but.... Collingwood are probably not too worried, they are a good pressure and outside team, if the ball is spilling lose and ending up in a 50/50 situation they are going to be happy with that.

A team like Collingwood kick to a contest in the middle of the ground, ball spills lose, they are probably going to get it or apply real heat and force a turnover. We do something like that, with our leg speed, it's probably going to the opposition player who has time and will hurt us.

That's the difference.

Mods can we ban Arrow please…… talking too much sense…..🤣

Granted JK 😂

banning super mario GIF

What people overlook with Pittonett is that he is not only slow, but a terrible mark for someone his size. Teams are able to rebound much easier with Pitto standing outside the 50. As soon as the ball goes over his head or to ground, he's completely out of the game. TdK is a much more dynamic player
Gonna call you Jimmae Jnr.

Sucks for Pittonet but not for the team IMO, everytime we make a change that favours run, we tend to improve.

Knowing what we know...

Boyd Weitering McGovern
Saad Marchbank Williams
Acres Cripps Kemp
Hollands Curnow Hollands
Motlop McKay Kennedy
DeKoning Walsh Hewett
Newman Binns Fogarty Owies
Cincotta

IN: Saad Motlop Binns Fogarty
OUT: Pittonet Durdin Cincotta* Fantasia

I like the backline. IMO that is our best backline, and while it's fairly underdone, it's one of the best in the comp. The problem our backline has been suffering from is that that is a really good intercepting and rebounding defence that can't do those things because the pressure is not where it needs to be around the middle of the ground. Finally we get to see out best 22 back 7. An underdone version of it but that is our best backline.
gb, I have reservations that Marchbank is still part of our best backline. I think he’s currently behind Weitering, Saad, Newman, Boyd, Kemp, McGovern, Williams and even Cincotta.

Kemp Weitering Newman
Boyd McGovern Saad
Acres Cripps Cincotta
Elijah Curnow Fogarty
Owies McKay Motlop
TDK Walsh Kennedy

Cowan Hewett Williams Ollie
Marchbank (sub)

IN: Saad Motlop Fogarty Cowan
OUT: Pittonet Durdin Fantasia Marchbank*

If Boyd is our best distributor we are where we are because of him the "best" ....he makes as many clangers as anyone else -not consistent amongst a bunch of other not-consistent kicks back there - Newman/McGovrn/Williams all do fantastic things at times and all clangerrama on other occasions- the most consistent good kick is Saad but his good kicks are usually when he has run to find space andmake territory and has the opposition back peddling.
Gotta disagree with this. Makes fewer changers than most.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

From what I have seen of him as recently as the weekend in the 2s I just can’t see how he could compete physically (strength and fitness wise) to make a meaningful contribution at the top level. He is simply not close to being ready athletically nor understanding game plan.

I get the arguments that it can’t be any worse than Durdin’s current level of output but I believe even with just Saad coming back (I find it hard to believe Mots can come straight back in after such a long time out) we can play Williams forward more this week rather than instead of picking a clearly not ready Moir.
They've been throwing him around trying to get him into the game. Played a bit of won't the other week.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd has only kciked one clanger now has he?

ok mate- Boyd the game's best kick - and let me know when you wake up from happy land.
It's champion data that rated Boyd the best kick exiting D50 in the comp, not me.

I mean, even visually he's just a beautiful kick of the footy, very strange take but play on!

Disagree - we've seemed more inclined to develop players at the lower level and make them earn their place in the senior side.
He's no different.
In a perfect world, sure. But our list is at breaking point particularly in his position. And the current guys in there Owies aside have been giving near negative impact. I'd rsther see him play, keep him forward and give him simple instructions/expectations. You know how Kade Simpson went in his first few, right? Barely got a touch.

I agree with you that they won't do it and he's probably not ready. But right now, we don't have the luxury and need to pull a trigger or two that we don't want.

Ironic that objectively-focused data came back around on him after all the generalised statements littered with claims made off-hand and taken as fact
It's my observation of the supporter base as a whole. It extends to far beyond footy. We're attracted to narratives and stories, where the reality is that there's a lot of complexity we're not privy to, and not enough data points to form strong opinions. Nevermind numerous confounders that we tend to gloss over. Case in point - supporters blaming Pittonet's selection to our poor performances, when it coincided with much more difficult opposition, injury to key players and return of other key personnel.

We win the next two and things will swing back the other way. Wins and losses are too coarse a metric to assess performance, and it takes real leadership to look beyond that, identify what is and isn't working and adjust accordingly.
That's fair, but most people just wanted to drop a ruck and bring in some run, it's not hard to understand.
Don't take this is a dig and out of curiosity, have you ever gotten this right?
In recent years it's more of a protest, but in fact I did get it mostly right during our big winning streak last year, including a game where I called for us to rest a host of players so we had some respite leading into finals.

I got absolutely pillared on here by a lot of senior posters, but we did pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Boyd was better in the second half last week, but he was gassed for big chunks of the game.

I'd rather Boyd have 2.5-3 quarters off now than tweak his lower legs yet again over the next month. If it's good enough for Kennedy, Hollands, and Hewett, it's good enough for him.

Whoever we choose for sub, let's not make it Carroll or someone coming in from the VFL.

Looking fwd to seeing how TDK/Mckay plays out with the additional runner it gives us over Pitto.

The backline can hopefully start to put together some rebound run/kicking from defence with Saad/Mcgovern back. They need continuity first i guess.

In a perfect world, sure. But our list is at breaking point particularly in his position. And the current guys in there Owies aside have been giving near negative impact. I'd rsther see him play, keep him forward and give him simple instructions/expectations. You know how Kade Simpson went in his first few, right? Barely got a touch.

I agree with you that they won't do it and he's probably not ready. But right now, we don't have the luxury and need to pull a trigger or two that we don't want.
I respect your viewpoint of course but I'm thinking that long term, it's better to make him earn it.
He's not setting the world on fire at the lower and from admittedly limited viewing his effort hasn't been great and I don't want to reward that.

Boyd still puzzles me. He is not a great one on one defender but is adequate. Hardly any contested marking from a defensive point of view...more uncontested marks. Was rightfully pulled up a couple of games ago for minding his man while letting goals go through.

If its rebound defender then he needs to find the ball more like a John Noble who is only average at best and is dropped at times. Boyd is only getting it 13 times a game. A successful qtr back needs it 20-25 times. With Saad and Williams out of the way for a while, Boyd really hasnt been able to achieve much possession.

He isnt young either but rightfully hasnt played that many games so still has some upside.

He needs to becomes a Saad or Docherty (at his best) or he needs to becomes a more defensive type like Quaynor who wins his one on ones.

He may be an in betweener which would suck as no one needs a player that is 'adequate' at the two different roles.

All welcome at mine this Saturday, for those not going. JustaBattler and Osc1 are certain starters…cause free food.

Let me know for catering reasons as the above won’t share.

Carn the Baggers!
Just make sure no nuffies allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back