Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
If Fog, Mots and Saad are ready, the changes seem fairly simple ish, or maybe not

Out Pitto, Marchbank, Durdin

In Mots, Fog, Saad

If Weitering or TDK doesn't get up, Young probably comes in

If both don't get up, probably Young and Durdin come in

Then there is Cowan, who was stiff to be dropped, but we really don't need another defender
Cowan to midfield perhaps an option??

They are great in there with Rowell, Anderson & Miller, we might need extra options with size & strength given the way they play.

If Fog, Mots and Saad are ready, the changes seem fairly simple ish, or maybe not

In Mots, Fog, Saad

Then there is Cowan, who was stiff to be dropped, but we really don't need another defender

If Weitering and TDK don’t get up, effectively forcing us to play Young as ruck (which would be a disaster in its own right up against Witts), then I reckon they’ll just go with Marchbank, Gov and Kemp down back.

I can’t see how they could possible play Sam Durdin given how little football he has played since he joined us. I reckon he would’ve played less than 20 games of football - at any level - in basically 2 years.

If Weitering and TDK don’t get up, effectively forcing us to play Young as ruck (which would be a disaster in its own right up against Witts), then I reckon they’ll just go with Marchbank, Gov and Kemp down back.

I can’t see how they could possible play Sam Durdin given how little football he has played since he joined us. I reckon he would’ve played less than 20 games of football - at any level - in basically 2 years.

Young partnered with JSos did well against Darcy and Jackson last year, but it's not ideal

None of those boys have the height/size to go with King

If we were down TDK and Pittonet - though I'm pretty sure TDK will play - I would see no harm in playing Mirkov. It's not ideal, but he'd at least get his hand on the ball vs Witts.

If we were down TDK and Pittonet - though I'm pretty sure TDK will play - I would see no harm in playing Mirkov. It's not ideal, but he'd at least get his hand on the ball vs Witts.
Mirk would do OK…….for a quarter and a half.

I would like to see what a fit Mirkov could bring to the table, but we are yet to really see that.

I think we can win, but am surprised we're $1.41 vs $2.92 - moderate favourites.

Would've said close to a 50/50 game given we're home vs our poor form and injuries.
Agree, slight favourites yes, but way too short for mine.

Strangely enough, also to my surprise, we were always strong favourites when we played them in the “resurrection” game last year, though we had lost many in a row. The odds just kept firming before the bounce and we won by a million. Maybe it’s an omen we’re so short? 😊

I find it hard to believe Motlop can come straight back in given the length of absence since last playing. Even ignoring what has happened to Cerra and Martin re-injuring themselves, Mots simply wouldn’t have match conditioning or touch. Fogarty and Saad I am less concerned about coming back off a long layoff as they had already played all available games up tot the point they got injured and the nature of Fog’s injury and Saad’s professionalism with respect to his conditioning.

I know everyone, myself included, are desperate to get some of our key players back in the team, especially at small forward where we’ve been so poor, but IMO Mots’s selection smacks of desperation. Mots playing again should in itself be enough of a jolt to get a good performance out of Durdin and Fantasia, who must surely know that their time to perform in order to stay in the team is fast running out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Mots, Fog, Saad

I reckon Marchy plays ,it usually takes him a couple of games to get up to speed.
I wouldn't mind seeing Kemp or Gov play forward and see how we go ..

Agree, slight favourites yes, but way too short for mine.

Strangely enough, also to my surprise, we were always strong favourites when we played them in the “resurrection” game last year, though we had lost many in a row. The odds just kept firming before the bounce and we won by a million. Maybe it’s an omen we’re so short? 😊
Their away form has been diabolical.

We need to pound them early!

This place really needs a win

We are now once again questioning Voss's integrity, stating he has favourites.

No coach would jeopardise their career on the back of selecting players he "favours", rather than selecting players he and the MC believe can contribute to the gameplan and or game tactics

As for not being flexible, just because an individual here wants to see a player in a certain position, doesn't actually mean it's valid or would work

Although, there have been a number of tweaks in the last 12 months, which have also yielded success, that perhaps have eluded the casual observer
Agree, although to some degree we are all guilty of subconscious bias in our judgements. Perhaps the debate about favourites is better described as a stubborn belief, and that's ok, Voss is the coach and paid to get results as he sees fit.

My intention is not to bag Boyd at all since I like what he brings to the backline as a whole but - he has had some good moments and some bad and I don't give a fig for short-term data points ...

Champion data are the experts in caveats - meaning they are selling a story that isn't statistics it is anecdote and in this case based on short-termism which is what makes the AFL world go round and round and round
Champion Data are the experts in promoting Champion Data, everything else is secondary, including using data to make good decsions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back