Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
In his defence, he did miss a couple preseasons and what hampered by a serious back injury / slow recovery post surgery.
absolutely, not a knock on him at all, just noting that he may not come in and immediately be the difference maker and it's not entirely fair to put expectations on him

i'm a big fan of unsexy team first football (in any sport actually) so fog types are by default in my favourites

i am on the fence about this, former first round draft pick, coming off career best form but has a long history of average form before his past 15 games.

I really like him as a player and hope he can slot straight back in but i don't think it's fair to put game changing status on him just yet.
Hoping he hasn't lost any game touch and doesn't take him long to get back into the swing of things.

His repeat pressure efforts in our forward line have been sorely missed.

Agreed. Just wish we'd say that. Durdin, Cowan, Kemp and company get omitted. Everyone knows it. There's this weird thing with Marchy where it seems the club consider him automatically a best 22 player and we need to play ducks and drakes with his selection or non-selection when he's not playing well.

So much faith in a 62 game player who has been in the system for 10 years.
I think the club saying he is "managed" means he will not play at any level this week. He may not have any new "injury" other than the back/concussion from weeks ago, but he has not recovered well enough from playing last week.

If he was omitted he would be available for reserves.

I would have much preferred to keep Cowan in last week and have Marchy build up match fitness for a couple of weeks in the 2's, but maybe his contract status is causing additional pressure to get him into the seniors?

Just guessing here.

Watching Blakey torch our players was genuinely like watching a video game where the character activates super speed and blasts away
Don't worry, you don't need speed, you only need big bodies that can kick. I read it on bigfooty, has to be true.

absolutely, not a knock on him at all, just noting that he may not come in and immediately be the difference maker and it's not entirely fair to put expectations on him

i'm a big fan of unsexy team first football (in any sport actually) so fog types are by default in my favourites
Yeah, that's fair. Even if he's not quite at the level he was at previously, there's an uptick just by replacing the worst-performing player in the side.

It's why I struggle with the argument that certain injured individuals aren't stars or even best 22. The likes of Cottrell, Motlop, Fogarty, Martin, a fit Cunners mightn't be stars (and with the emergence of Eli, might not all fit into the 22), but the incremental improvement over Durdin, Fantasia and even Owies makes a huge difference.

Given Calebs history and how we've communicated his injuries in the past it could well come out in the next couple of days that he's injured something.

If it's not an injury, then it could be part of a longer-term fitness plan for him. He's actually played 2 games, no 1 like people are saying - One in the VFL then one AFL. It could be loading him up, then a break, then increase the load on the backend with an eye on the bye in the near future as another break.

He was the only one who could catch Blakey last week (2x), who always seems to have a field day running out of defence against us
Not easy catching the lizard. Too often our players throw an arm out in what looks like a half hearted attempt to tackle.

But once Williams grabbed Blakey he was fully committed and brought him down in a perfect textbook tackle.

How many tackles do you think Fog will lay?

I reckon he'll be pumped to be back out there. 10

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think everyone will have great tackle numbers.

The absolutely abysmal tackling effort last week should see a huge bounce back this week. I expect everyone will be tackling very hard this week, I'm sure Voss of all people would have got stuck into them for it. This isn't a week where you want to show some half arsed tackling efforts.

Watching Blakey torch our players was genuinely like watching a video game where the character activates super speed and blasts away
Blakey was probably the only player we managed to shut down. Only had 9 kicks 5 of which were kick ins . When he did get the ball we forced him onto his right side.

Nice to have a bit of speed back in Saad and fog.

Also nice to have Cowan back after a poor call last week bringing in the injury riddled Marchbank.

Will be nice to get back to winning.

Tonight just has to be a win.

Next week port in Adelaide could go either way but I’d say more of in their favour.

After that a few games in Melbourne so should be able to snag some wins.
We never travel well. I'd love to turn it around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did Zac play mostly last week? Forward?
I think he moved up front and then back to defence and then back up front so there was a bit of chopping and changing with his position.

Overall I thought he did some nice things up front and no doubt would have benefited from a longer stint up front.

I think it makes sense to move him up front more permanently and perhaps at times through the midfield as well.

That's where I see the most value from him.

Re Voss presser…

Yes of course ”get back to what we do best” but how about changing things up a little when it’s not working…

I’d like to see more thinking/creativity from the coaches box on game day.

We have become way too predictable.
I think what he's saying is we didn't do what we do well 'well enough'. So until we do that there's no point changing it. You can't have your core midfield all starting goal side and playing selfish footy.

I like the message. Simplify and get what you're supposed to be good at correct. If teams are still beating you then then you adjust things. Teams are beating us because we're not structuring up well, we are playing unsupportive and selfish etc through that core contested group. When they start relaxing and trusting and setting up better it'll look better. Then they'll start throwing things around more freely.

Emphasising so much winning at the contest isn't reflective of how the modern premierships are won. The only contest driven team to win the flag in ~ 10 yrs is Melbourne, but they have elite interceptors to support that. All the others are won by transition teams.

Emphasising so much winning at the contest isn't reflective of how the modern premierships are won. The only contest driven team to win the flag in ~ 10 yrs is Melbourne, but they have elite interceptors to support that. All the others are won by transition teams.

I think there is some misconception with our style

Yes, we are a contested team and when other sides enter/win finals, their contested do go up

Our transition numbers have improved, but don't think we have found that balance like the 2nd half of last year

Given Calebs history and how we've communicated his injuries in the past it could well come out in the next couple of days that he's injured something.

If it's not an injury, then it could be part of a longer-term fitness plan for him. He's actually played 2 games, no 1 like people are saying - One in the VFL then one AFL. It could be loading him up, then a break, then increase the load on the backend with an eye on the bye in the near future as another break.
yeah you're right I forgot he played in the 2's!

I think there is some misconception with our style

Yes, we are a contested team and when other sides enter/win finals, their contested do go up

Our transition numbers have improved, but don't think we have found that balance like the 2nd half of last year
For me the concern is how we've regressed from it since the beginning of the year with the emphasis being on contest. I'm not sure one should be overhauled at the expense of the other.

I like that our strength if clearance, it's a great weapon, but I'm more worried about our anaemic rebound and transition than I am about the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back