Preview 2024 Rd 12 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Thursday 30th May 7:30PM AEST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

Unchanged

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1566482/afl-team-news-blues-name-23-for-thursday-night-football

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringZac Williams
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsElijah Hollands
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Forwards:George HewettCharlie CurnowMatthew Kennedy
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshAlex Cincotta
Interchange:Lachie CowanJack CarrollBlake Acres
Jordan BoydOrazio Fantasia
Emergencies:Corey DurdinCaleb MarchbankLewis Young

Yup agree, succinctly synopsis. Both games will be very challenging, I’d be content winning either game given team status and injuries.
Both Port & Bombers are strong contenders for ladder positioning 5 to 8.Competition is very even outside of top 4.
Personal availability has huge impact, Richmond and Hawthorn too will be chomping at the bite on the way home.
Competition is very even outside of the top one (Sydney).

And even they, I suspect, will be shown to be vulnerable outside of Sydney....

The secret is to get on a roll....a series of consecutive wins.

(like us in '23)

We're currently sitting 8th and after the next 2 games we'll have played every side above us on the ladder.

So far, we've played 5 of them for 2 wins, 3 losses. Win the next 2 and we go into the bye with a 4-3 record over the fellow top 8 with a much easier draw in the second half of the season.

Easier said than done though. We are usually really bad at Adelaide Oval, hopefully that win against Freo banished any negative thoughts about playing there.

It's looking like it'll rain all day and showers will come and go at night. Port have been terrible at ground ball gets and Rioli out will really hurt them up forward. I reiterate that this will be a good game to bring Motlop back, Fanta won't offer us more especially in those conditions.

Cincotta to get the role of shutting JHF out of the game imo. TDK main ruck again with Harry to help out. Williams keeps his spot forward, his ability to win the ground ball will be important.

We turn up with the intent to belt them around the contest and we'll win this.

100%. Marchbanks problem is his durability, not his ability.

He ain’t Gov but he’s not some plodder stop gap type either. Was best 22 last year easily.

He may well be best 22 at full fitness but he is always coming into the side underdone with very little football under his belt. His body just can’t cope with the shift in intensity and he gets injured again. For some reason Voss would rather Marchy at 60% than some of our other fitter defenders, but then they finally put Cowan in the ones because they had no other options and he has performed well so far.

Need to put some faith into Young and Durdin while he recovers and regains fitness, give him a block of games in the VFL where we can manage his minutes and build him up properly. We are setting him up to fail otherwise.

Last edited:
100%. Marchbanks problem is his durability, not his ability.

He ain’t Gov but he’s not some plodder stop gap type either. Was best 22 last year easily.
Marchbank's durability has made it so that he's always playing catchup and trying to find form.

When he gets his body right he may come into contention but what hes shown in 2024 is not best 22 level yet.

Any time Cripps on a play similar to him he chumps them. Rowell and green are victims of that this year

I expect Cripps to have a big game Thursday
Cripps is the best in his class, so why opposition coaches go that route is beyond me. What the Pies etc did by (probably borderline illegally) blocking him from the contest and having other guys run off him works better.

Cripps will defeat Wines with one leg in the air.

He really has stepped up to a new level this year.

Imo playing better than his Brownlow year….

He’s our kingpin and he will win/get the ball to the outside but we need good ball use from our outside runners…Walsh needs to do better

Whilst EHollands and Williams provide some class on the outside In absence of Cerra.

Cincotta to stick to Butters like Tarzans grip glue.

Charlie needs to keep moving.

There is the masterplan.

No changes unless injuries pop up (Gov).

Another week in the twos won't hurt Motlop after missing 10 weeks of footy and only 5 touches and a goal. Fantasia was serviceable enough on Saturday.
I think Port are expecting Soldo back in and Dixon has had a week off to freshen up. Hopefully for us Rioli and Rozee don't get up or are at least playing underdone.

Big chance for a good road win then a handy 10 day break into the * match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps will defeat Wines with one leg in the air.

He really has stepped up to a new level this year.

Imo playing better than his Brownlow year….

He’s our kingpin and he will win/get the ball to the outside but we need good ball use from our outside runners…Walsh needs to do better

Whilst EHollands and Williams provide some class on the outside In absence of Cerra.

Cincotta to stick to Butters like Tarzans grip glue.

Charlie needs to keep moving.

There is the masterplan.
Agree on Walsh. He missed a lot of game time so I think he's still got improvement in his game but he needs to do better in 2 things:

1) Burning better options - multiple times per game he seems to ignore the short handball to release someone in a better position and instead goes with the long bomb himself. This tendency results in him getting large metres gained stats, but IMO he's one of the main causes of our poor entries i50 direct to the opposition's main intercept man. The other thing is players will eventually get sick of it and stop running with him to provide that better option. Keep your eyes open Sam.

2) Kicking generally - much less of an issue than 1), but even when he's got space he's missing targets or not putting the ball to advantage. Walsh CAN be one of our best users of the ball, but at the moment I actually trust Cripps more to enter i50.

Don't get me wrong, Walsh has had a brilliant year. But I thought he was not in our bests against GC, despite him being lauded by commentary and the papers.

Agree on Walsh. He missed a lot of game time so I think he's still got improvement in his game but he needs to do better in 2 things:

1) Burning better options - multiple times per game he seems to ignore the short handball to release someone in a better position and instead goes with the long bomb himself. This tendency results in him getting large metres gained stats, but IMO he's one of the main causes of our poor entries i50 direct to the opposition's main intercept man. The other thing is players will eventually get sick of it and stop running with him to provide that better option. Keep your eyes open Sam.

2) Kicking generally - much less of an issue than 1), but even when he's got space he's missing targets or not putting the ball to advantage. Walsh CAN be one of our best users of the ball, but at the moment I actually trust Cripps more to enter i50.

Don't get me wrong, Walsh has had a brilliant year. But I thought he was not in our bests against GC, despite him being lauded by commentary and the papers.
Yeah absolutely...

In this regard Cripps is quiet good.

Nearly every time he is approaching f50 with ball in hand you can see his eyes glazing across the f50 area to spot up a team mate in space. He rarely bombs it in blindly.

He often gets his kick right too, even though its not one of his best skills. Can look awkward at times with the soft shorter kicks but his kicks are generally very effective - specially this year.

We shouldn't be surprised though.....he has been a true professional since his early days - I recall him working with a sprint coach (?) to improve his running, early in his career, over the summer breaks.

He’s definitely improved his kicking since last season as well.

Last edited:
Yeah absolutely...

Nearly every time he is approaching f50 with ball in hand you can see his eyes glazing across the f50 area to spot up a team mate in space. He rarely bombs it in blindly.

He often gets his kick right too, even though its not one of his best skills. Can look awkward at times with the soft shorter kicks but his kicks are generally very effective - specially this year.

We shouldn't be surprised though.....he has been a true professional since his early days - I recall him working with a sprint coach (?) to improving his running, early in his career, over the summer breaks.

His definitely improved his kicking since last season as well.
yep - his kicking was pretty average early on. Improved significantly since then. Barely recall a helicopter punt from the current season

For all SA Bluebaggers, the chance to see your favourite Blues will come on Wednesday, with the Blues holding an open training session at Adelaide Oval.

Kicking off from 3pm ACST, it’ll be the chance to see Carlton get put through its paces ahead of its second Adelaide Oval game of the season, having emerged victorious against Fremantle in Gather Round.
Gates open from 2:30pm, with entry via the South Gate.

Click here to register your attendance using the form.

Yeah absolutely...

We shouldn't be surprised though.....he has been a true professional since his early days - I recall him working with a sprint coach (?) to improve his running, early in his career, over the summer breaks.

He’s definitely improved his kicking since last season as well.
Indeed, which given what a professional and no doubt his own harshest critic that Walshy is, I back him to improve as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back