Preview 2024 Rd 9 Carlton vs Melbourne Thursday 9th May 7:30PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Ollie Hollands, Brodie Kemp, Jack Martin, Mitch McGovern
OUT: Zac Williams (glute soreness), David Cuningham, Orazio Fantasia, Lewis Young

Round 9 team v Melbourne
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:David CuninghamOrazio FantasiaLewis Young

Yep, I think two rucks works against a generational ruckman like Gawn. We let Pitto bash and crash and then let TDK come in and jump over the top. When we play other ruckmen though I'd like to just back in TDK. For all the talk about our clearance game with Pitto, we lost the clearances to an undermanned Collingwood on Friday which is a huge concern.

Grundy took on Gawn alone at start of the year and just jumped into him all game and soundly beat him.

Grundy took on Gawn alone at start of the year and just jumped into him all game and soundly beat him.
Plies he’s on a 5 day turn around this Thursday

The normal scapegoats williams, young, can't play 2 rucks etc....how about we stop continually bombing it predictably into our forward line, how about charlie gets on his bike and uses his alleged tank, why don't we hit up short targets, why is our forward line always so crowded, how can our pressure be so good and then had periods when it's sub 150...we are on the cusp of being good or being also rans if we don't sort this stuff out quickly.
Can we do all of this AND ditch Young?

This I like, this is why we should be going with DeKoning. Pitonett doesn't jump, so when he loses the tap, the other ruck has good control. Just let DeKoning jump into him all day and take him on around the ground. Rucks don't necessarily have to win the taps, they can break even by disrupting the opposition ruck by doing things like this.

Doesn't matter and I don't agree. Cottrell Cuningham Kennedy Cripps Walsh Hollands Cerra can all kick the ball. The issue is they NEVER look
Apparently a few ex players (Hodge/Lewis) made comment on our want to rush through zones - particularly vs Collingwood.

The comment was if the oppo are zoned up - take your time. If you rush, you create your own pressure resulting in dump kicks into F50 (if you get that far).

You want to kick a goal - why do you need to do it so quickly???

The 3rd QTR was slowed down & we kick/marked a bit more. Methodical and considered instead of rushed & hopeful.

Slow the bloody ball down at times & we will get better looks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew Lloyd on Footy Classified last night how predictable we are going forward and just bomb it long. Sides pick us off easily

NO JOKE. Been going on about this all year. Why don’t we change? Even Lloyd sees it
All year? We've been doing it for years. Multiple.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apparently a few ex players (Hodge/Lewis) made comment on our want to rush through zones - particularly vs Collingwood.

The comment was if the oppo are zoned up - take your time. If you rush, you create your own pressure resulting in dump kicks into F50 (if you get that far).

You want to kick a goal - why do you need to do it so quickly???

The 3rd QTR was slowed down & we kick/marked a bit more. Methodical and considered instead of rushed & hopeful.

Slow the bloody ball down at times & we will get better looks.

I think Hodge said something like - you might have to kick the next goal but it's doesn't have to be kicked in the next 60 seconds - you can take your time.

(..unless Daicos kicks the winner with 40 seconds to go in which case we are ****ed !!)

Last edited by a moderator:
People keep speculating about his tank. No need

He has played a lot of midfield and is the fittest he has been in his career. He was in the top group for running over pre season

What I like is he can give us something different around the middle as our midfield lacks some outside class and our defence loses nothing

Genuine question…has he played a lot in the midfield? Obviously we played there when he first came to us and that didn’t work out too well. But I don’t remember him playing many midfield minutes at GWS. I would have thought he would have been behind a fair few others in his time at the Giants.

I think Hodge said something like - you might have to kick the next goal but it's doesn't have to be kicked in the next 60 seconds - you can take your time.

(..unless Daicos kicks the winner with 40 seconds to go in which case we are ****ed !!)
That sounds good to me.

If only big H had taken a little longer with 2 mins to go!

Collingwood are so well drilled that everything they do is automatic

Carlton otoh have to think about what to do ... and waste valuable seconds.
They either get tackled by the Pies fierce pressure ... or the opportunity has been lost
Carlton are not quick enough to be able to handle the pressure from the Collingwoods and Geelongs.
These teams are way better drilled, imo.

Genuine question…has he played a lot in the midfield? Obviously we played there when he first came to us and that didn’t work out too well. But I don’t remember him playing many midfield minutes at GWS. I would have thought he would have been behind a fair few others in his time at the Giants.

Go look at 2019 Finals series. What GWS best player as a mid. The Preliminary Final against Pies he was amazing in a big upset. Just one example

Voss said so in his presser post the Pies' game....
I saw the PC but Voss didn't seem definitive to me: He was "should" (see a few back) instead of "Will" Really hope Gov and Marto come straight back because we need their class for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back