Preview 2024 Rd 9 Carlton vs Melbourne Thursday 9th May 7:30PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Ollie Hollands, Brodie Kemp, Jack Martin, Mitch McGovern
OUT: Zac Williams (glute soreness), David Cuningham, Orazio Fantasia, Lewis Young

Round 9 team v Melbourne
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:David CuninghamOrazio FantasiaLewis Young

Williams is more settled when he has better players around him, like the rest of our backmen. Continuity is the most important ingredient, especially down back

HF could suit him, has played there for moments throughout his career, but not on a wing, he does not have the tank. The concern would be that turning/twisting motion

I'd back him for now especially with better players returning into the backline

Cottrell is/has played HHF, then defensive cover for our wingmen
Williams has had two below average games in a row, I would not be against giving him a rest. If Saad does come back in, I would consider dropping Williams. I thought Cincotta did a solid job shutting down Hill.

On a different note, I would prefer Kennedy as a starting player and one of the smaller forwards to be a sub even O Hollands could be a sub as he's a strong impact player and when the heat of the contest has been removed, we will not have to worry about his small frame.

We must play two rucks this week. Only remote chance of winning is to dominate the middle like we did against GWS. Pittos stronger body will be important
While I don't agree with the strategy, I'm not keen on who's next off the rank if the injury report goes the way I expect it to.

Post match presser McGovern Martin and Marchbank mentioned ( maybe Marchbank marginal).

VIss stated that the two things to look at always are:

1. Your systems and what needs improving; and
2 Players available who can execute on the system better

Yesterday was teh first game I got the itchies and scratchies over Voss's in game management tbh - his post match demeanour was a bloke that recognised as much.
I hope so!

Out: Crazy Vossy

In: Practical task master Vossy, prepared to delegate responsibility.

The Fantasia recruitment was obviously pure Voss. The bloke has clearly lost a yard/metre of pace. He is playing like an entrenched player, not a bloke desperate to prove his credentials to continue his career and back his mate’s decision to over ride the list managers. (If we used the pick used for him to upgrade Boyd, we would have a little less chaos at season’s end) Peak Fantasia would have been a reasonable investment, but that bloke is gone, just like, unfortunately, peak Martin, peak Marchbank, peak Williams and a couple of others)

Other than the odd occasion Marchy has been available, our most bankable defensive set up included Weitering, Kemp and McGovern. They know how to co-exist. Weits somewhat micro manages Kempy, but it works. Newman, Boyd, Cincotta and Cowan is a solid defensive unit. Williams is a conundrum at present. I am a huge fan, but he is a shadow of himself. He doesn’t trust his body, and doesn’t trust the structures around him.

I want Cowan to continue with his current block of games. He is not perfect, but is doing a job and will learn considerably more from a handful of senior games than a season in the twos. I hope we can structure up to include the eight defenders named above. I am very much in favour of Williams, Cincotta and Boyd spending minutes wing, mid or forward as a change up option, so it could be made to work.

The lack of “imagination” shown by our coaching group is astounding. Does it speak to their limitations, or their lack of confidence in the players at their disposal?

My gut feel is Voss will go back to the mid sized defence of late last year

Boyd Weitering McGovern
Cincotta Marchbank Newman Kemp

Only Saad missing from best line up

Allows Williams to Wing or HF/Mid which will suit him. For all Williams talent he is NOT a one on one player. He is a running creater that can find the ball.

Allows Williams to Wing or HF/Mid which will suit him. For all Williams talent he is NOT a one on one player. He is a running creater that can find the ball.
Saad & McGovern are crucial to Williams being effective off half-back. We've seen what happens without them. Those two will at least lock on an opponent where needed lessening the defensive burden on others. Williams can't, or won't defend properly and you can probably only carry one "free spirit" in a backline where others will hold the accountable roles.

Moving him up the ground is probably the only logical solution without those two in the side. I'm much more confident with Cincotta, Cowan, Boyd, Newman playing on small-to-midsized forwards. I'd love to see Williams on a wing, but not sure he has the tank, or if he'd have the discipline to track back like modern wingers are required to do. Would definitely want to see him given crack at it though.

Moving him up the ground is probably the only logical solution without those two in the side. I'm much more confident with Cincotta, Cowan, Boyd, Newman playing on small-to-midsized forwards. I'd love to see Williams on a wing, but not sure he has the tank, or if he'd have the discipline to track back like modern wingers are required to do. Would definitely want to see him given crack at it though.

People keep speculating about his tank. No need

He has played a lot of midfield and is the fittest he has been in his career. He was in the top group for running over pre season

What I like is he can give us something different around the middle as our midfield lacks some outside class and our defence loses nothing

People keep speculating about his tank. No need

He has played a lot of midfield and is the fittest he has been in his career. He was in the top group for running over pre season

What I like is he can give us something different around the middle as our midfield lacks some outside class and our defence loses nothing
worth a try as he's been a liability in recent weeks.

We just, as a collective, need to play smarter.

We do that, we'll win.

Martin a huge in imo.

Is a serious third target - takes a lot of heat off the big two....

My gut feel is Voss will go back to the mid sized defence of late last year

Boyd Weitering McGovern
Cincotta Marchbank Newman Kemp

Very good insight re Weiters placement and flow on effect to Zaccy by D. King on his little show with Joey and Huddo.

Last edited:
worth a try as he's been a liability in recent weeks.

We just, as a collective, need to play smarter.

We do that, we'll win.

Martin a huge in imo.

Is a serious third target - takes a lot of heat off the big two....

Martin in will definitely help. Still need to deliver it better

Hopefully allows Charlie more time up the ground where he can be very damaging

Matthew Lloyd on Footy Classified last night how predictable we are going forward and just bomb it long. Sides pick us off easily

NO JOKE. Been going on about this all year. Why don’t we change? Even Lloyd sees it
We've been playing like that for a long time now...

The last time we had really good f50 entries was when we had the likes of Yarran betts garlet Murphy Ryan Houlihan and Fevola.

All of those ball carriers used the ball really well and Fevola loved to run out on a lead.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew Lloyd on Footy Classified last night how predictable we are going forward and just bomb it long. Sides pick us off easily

NO JOKE. Been going on about this all year. Why don’t we change? Even Lloyd sees it
Who's our forward coach? Russell. What would he know about forward line structures? We don't see our forwards lead or block for each other to create separation. Been an issue for a long time.

Hamill and Hansen being ex forwards you would think should be able to work it out.

Last edited:
Martin in will definitely help. Still need to deliver it better

Hopefully allows Charlie more time up the ground where he can be very damaging
If we are adding Martin to Charlie, Harry and TDK, we must do some serious work creating space and stretching oppo defenders. Charlie has been very reluctant to “work” in recent weeks. He and Harry are both incredibly mobile forwards who can add so very much to our connection. The two ruck scenario almost demands we play TDK deep and enhance his forward role. C and H should be on their bikes taking the usually assertive Demon defenders out of their comfort zone or creating a mismatch if they choose to “do a changeover”.

I remain astounded at how we structure up, it is either simplistic, relying on our perceived “strengths” or downright dumb. We continue to lament the lack of effectiveness of our small forwards, I will continue to assert it is more about how they are deployed than any perceived lack of ability or smarts.

Who's our forward coach? Russell. How would he know about forward line structures? We don't see our forwards lead or block for each other to create separation. Been an issue for a long time.
I shudder at analysis like this.”Russell. How would he know about forward line structures?”

Hell, if any AFL club hires a coach in any role who is not capable of analysing the game as a whole, and “connect the dots” they deserve what they would get. I get blokes have their strengths and some may have more insight in a particular area, but if they are not largely interchangeable, and appreciate the other lines, we have the wrong coaches for the “modern game”.

Who's our forward coach? Russell. What would he know about forward line structures? We don't see our forwards lead or block for each other to create separation. Been an issue for a long time.

Hamill and Hansen being ex forwards you would think should be able to work it out.

I don’t know but it has to be a game plan/rule to get it in asap to talls. If so that falls on Voss

Lloyd sees it, random BF folk see it. Probably most everyone sees it. So I assume our coaches are just stubborn?

If we don't work the perimeters we're going to have an incredibly tough time against Melbourne.

We need to study the Melbourne vs Brisbane game. That was a perfect exhibition of the right way to combat the May/Lever threat.

You know this TDK forward thingy was very much about giving us another marking option in tho absence of Martin. Now Jack is likely back how do we structure up now? Pitto isn’t big Nick but surely survives based on recent form.

Cold, hard, reality is this - we won 9 on the trot with mostly 1 ruck last year and also Martin forward was crucial to that streak into the finals.

Some really big decisions at selection this week!

Lloyd sees it, random BF folk see it. Probably most everyone sees it. So I assume our coaches are just stubborn?

I’m loathe to criticise Voss as he has done so much good and I don’t know what he is thinking BUT I get the impression he has a plan around stoppages and clearances and just getting ball forward and nothing will make him change that

It worked late last year but sides take notice and work you out. You need to evolve

I’m also frustrated around lack of imagination around moving players and stopping the opposition players when needed. But that’s just me

Last edited:
I’m loathe to criticise Voss as he has done some much good and I don’t know what he is thinking BUT I get the impression he has a plan around stoppages and clearances and just getting ball forward and nothing will make him change that

It worked late last year but sides take notice and work you out. You need to evolve

I’m also frustrated around lack of imagination around moving players and stopping the opposition players when needed. But that’s just me
I have a feeling it could also be the old not wanting to "confuse" our players too much with too many instructions, but you can't tell me that the list makeup we have now is that incapable of implementing a dynamic plan.

I have a feeling it could also be the old not wanting to "confuse" our players too much with too many instructions, but you can't tell me that the list makeup we have now is that incapable of implementing a dynamic plan.

I just wonder sometimes if we have gone to much to the contested clearance side and have lost the balance to attack and run

This “stop bombing” cry is interesting.

Serious question - who do we trust in the middle of the ground to laser kick to our leading forwards?

The cupboard is not full of Sidebottoms..

If we do chip, chip around waiting for a biggie to get free then opposition are given time to flood back and make it hard work for them. See Freo game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back