Preview 2024 Rd 9 Carlton vs Melbourne Thursday 9th May 7:30PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Ollie Hollands, Brodie Kemp, Jack Martin, Mitch McGovern
OUT: Zac Williams (glute soreness), David Cuningham, Orazio Fantasia, Lewis Young

Round 9 team v Melbourne
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:David CuninghamOrazio FantasiaLewis Young

An amazingly positive & inspirational post - thanks for sharing.
Just how I feel about where we are atm.

I think there is plenty to be positive about - we have lots of strengths but we’ve lost our way a bit this season - loss against crows at home in Melbourne was a bad loss.

The losses against cats and filth were by tight margins but they exposed a serious weakness in our running and rebound game.

The return of Martin and gov gives me hope for this week and When saad returns we will have no excuse to lose any match.

So season not over obviously and we desperately need to get back on the winners list.

durdin was far far worse. Cunners at least gets into position to make plays. Even if he didn't end up making them first game back. Durds sits next to security until the balls in deep F50 chatting and drinking tea
I don’t think durds realises he’s a small forward…

He nearly took mark of the year over the oppos key defender last week (or was it the previous week) 😂

Last edited:

I think there is plenty to be positive about - we have lots of strengths but we’ve lost our way a bit this season - loss against crows at home in Melbourne was a bad loss.

The losses against cats and filth were by tight margins but they exposed a serious weakness in our running and rebound game.

The return of Martin and gov gives me hope for this week and When saad returns we will have no excuse to lose any match.

So season not over obviously and we desperately need to get back on the winners list.
We’ve had one of the toughest draws of any team in the 8 at the moment. We’ve already played Brisbane at the Gabba, GWS, Geelong and Collingwood, with Melbourne and Sydney in the next 2. We are currently a game and percentage out of the 4. To say that we won’t make the 4 if we lose this week is way too dramatic seeing our schedule opens up a bit the longer the season goes on

Whilst we have clearly made some changes out of pure necessity, having 3-4 fresh players in the team vs 1 for the dees and them coming off a 5 day break definitely gives us an edge. Gov and Martin will be fresh AF, as will Kennedy be coming off the sub role and Ollie will go all day and keep going so I think this will give us a nice little edge in addition to the changes also helping our overall structure. I think the sub role will have stung Kennedy last week and he’ll be a raging bull. Likewise Charlie, Walsh and Cez have all received criticism… so watch out! Bring it on, LFG!!!

We’ve had one of the toughest draws of any team in the 8 at the moment. We’ve already played Brisbane at the Gabba, GWS, Geelong and Collingwood, with Melbourne and Sydney in the next 2. We are currently a game and percentage out of the 4. To say that we won’t make the 4 if we lose this week is way too dramatic seeing our schedule opens up a bit the longer the season goes on
Let’s hope so but it is very tight in the 8 and the filth are coming through with good momentum from 9th.

If we make top 4 from here on that would be a dream come true.

A lot is going to depend on how well we play when we get gov Martin and saad back in the team. Our players are going to need to play with the intensity they had rolling through the second half of last season.

They need that spark back.

we showed it in spades against gws.

I think this is the best team we have rolled out all year. No excuses in this one. The backline looks well rounded. The forward line looks better balanced with both Martin back, and TDK having had a couple of good weeks as a third forward (makes it a lot harder for Lever/May to zone off and help each other if there's a third big body to contend with in the air).

Funny thing is, this is almost season on the line time. We've been pretty ordinary this year, TBH, after coming in with high expectations. We got blown out of the water by Brisbane, only to have them run out of gas and snag a win. We barely beat Richmond, grabbed one we probably didn't deserve vs Freo, then lost to Adelaide (solidly bottom 6). Had a good win vs GWS but were then pretty ordinary in the last two games.
We've had the on field talent to win all of our past 4 games, we've been clearly beaten for 4 quarter pressure.(excluding GWS game)
It'll be different tonight, seasons looking a bit shakey, expecting to take home the 4 points.

No excuses.

Whilst I agree with this, the only counter point is we play a lot of them twice. So it still is a tough road home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The team has shown amazing resilience actually in light of the mass of injuries & playing against some of the best teams - sans Adelaide - our efforts against Geelong and Collingwood weren’t without merit.

Players coming back may take some time to gel, let’s see.

That we are a 50/50 chance against Melbourne is another sign we’re coming off a strong platform with only upside ahead.

Stay positive brother!

Interesting to read the chat about where we're at ATM. It does feel like this game is a crucial one for us.

On one hand, we could have won every game we've played in. But, equally, nearly every team we beat were in the game as well (except North). Recently we've gone from finding ways to win games to finding ways to lose games.

Will be very interesting to see how we go tonight. Some really good players coming in, not just in terms of talent but also the roles they play. The backline is better with McGovern, and the forward line is better with Martin.

Who do we send to Petracca?
Pixar Cars GIF by Disney+

All up, it took about 20 seconds. Diehard Carlton fans can remember it by heart from having it on loop all summer and beyond: The dare, the courage and the near miss, followed by a roar so thunderous the MCG stands shook.

It’s a passage of perfect imperfection that will forever tie Jacob Weitering, Ollie Hollands, Sam Docherty and Blake Acres together in Carlton folklore; a play instantly as iconic as Fraser Brown’s tackle on Dean Wallis in the 1999 preliminary final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back