Position 2024 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I have pretty much decided that I'm not going to start Harley Reid. I wasn't sure before hand but last night sort of confirmed my initial thoughts that he isn't 100% ready for AFL footy fitness wise. It has been talked about already that he dosen't have a great tank and also cramping last night is a red flag for me. West coast would be mad to thrash this kid when they are no chance of playing finals this year and I doubt he will score high and also have great JS.

His first 7 games are all hard games and plenty of travel.

R1 Port away
R2 Gws home
R3 Doggies away
R4 Syd home
R5 Tigers home
R6 Freo home
R7 GCS away

He only played 13 games last season :
4 for Vic Country
6 for Bendigo Pioneers
3 for Carlton VFL

I think he will be a great player but not this year and I think there will be much better options cheaper.

Not true. Also played for AFL Academy, Essendon VFL and Tongala.

Not true. Also played for AFL Academy, Essendon VFL and Tongala.
Don't think you can really judge Reid on last year either way. He played in lots of different positions and less TOG to give others their best chance to get drafted. He was clearly going pick 1 so didn't need to bust his arse all season.

I still reckon Reid in 3/4’s and subbed will outscore the likes of Billings, Macrae & Lazzaro playing 4. Especially with the kind unaccountable half-back role he should be given.

I still reckon Reid in 3/4’s and subbed will outscore the likes of Billings, Macrae & Lazzaro playing 4. Especially with the kind unaccountable half-back role he should be given.
You're not worried Reid had such severe body cramps, in just a scratch match ?

Not to mention pretty much everyone in that area, even the likes of Harmes, are all sub risks. They are all 20-23rd picked in their teams and are a likely candidate to be taken off if the team is down, with more faith put in other players to bounce back in the last.

You're not worried Reid had such severe body cramps, in just a scratch match ?

Not really. First hit out but also we don’t know his training load. They probably haven’t tapered off yet, and he’s just pushed out heaps of miles the week before.

Waiting on the actual pre season match of course, if he’s struggling then yep sure.

But Billings and co are far worse players and that’s 90% priority - are they actually good enough to win & use the ball well. Next step is can they do it for 4 quarters

Reid’s JS and role is better than any other sub 300k forward besides fyfe. Worst case he averages around 60 and makes 100k but if he comes out and goes big you’re behind the pack massively. I can’t think of any one playing inside mid or as an attacking half back that hasn’t scored decently

Reid’s JS and role is better than any other sub 300k forward besides fyfe. Worst case he averages around 60 and makes 100k but if he comes out and goes big you’re behind the pack massively. I can’t think of any one playing inside mid or as an attacking half back that hasn’t scored decently
He played 4 quarters for 27.
The worst case Is clearly not him averaging 60.
It all depends who you replace him with. That's why I will wait until after the next game. I'm not certain how to replace him yet.
A couple of options im pondering.
Harley to a base priced rookie.
Young to Stewart.
Or find some cash and go
Harley to Fyfe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some great notes here courtesy of

Nathan Scoble
@ScobeyBryant36

On X

Pre-season / Match Sim Notes - #SuperCoach Rookies

Richmond : Kane McAuliffe MID 117K: Came on in the second half, had 3 possessions didn't set the world on fire. Josh Gibcus DEF 150K: Started really well in the opening term, but didn't do much after it, finished with 6 disposals and 3 marks.

Melbourne :Marty Hore 123k DEF: Had barely any opportunity, ended on 2 disposals. Bailey Laurie 125k FWD: Looked really nice when he got the ball and didn't have an issue finding it, had 22 possessions with 6 marks. Caleb Windsor 180K FWD: Played on a wing, also had 22 possessions and 3 marks.

North Melbourne :Colby McKercher 202k MID: Looked very good, had 25 and 3 marks.Charlie Lazzaro 181k MID/FWD: Got ample midfield time, finished with 22 disposals, looked very nice. Toby Pink 123k DEF: Looked good down back, had 10 possessions and 4 marks. Bigoa Nyuon 123k FWD: Played down back, probably competing with Pink for the defensive spot, looked solid, had 12 possessions with 5 marks.

Collingwood :Fin Macrae 152k FWD: Played midfield, at times looked explosive through the centre, had 18 possession in 3 and a half quarters, also kicked a goal.Reef McInnes 123k FWD: Looked decent playing forward, 6 possessions and 3 goals in not a bad day out. Charlie Dean 123k DEF: 9 Possessions and 3 marks. Standard.

GWS Giants :Jacob Wehr 123k MID: Slow start to the day, had 11 possessions in the last and finished with 19 , 6 marks and a goal. Aaron Cadman 123k FWD: Cadman looked good, took some ruck contests and moved well, finished with 13 possessions 2 marks and 4 sausage rolls.

Sydney :Matt Roberts 156k MID: Played off the halfback line, had 17 possession's and 5 marks.

Gold Coast :Alex Sexton133k FWD: Played across half back which is enticing, had 18 disposals, with 3 marks, wasn't the best user of the ball but role is fantastic. Sam Clohesy 102k DEF: Looked very good in the moments he had, wouldn't be surprised if he plays early in the year, had 8 disposals with 2 marks.

Geelong :Shaun Mannagh 117 MID/FWD: Came on much later than we'd have hoped, showed a few signs but nothing significant, doubt for round 1?Connor O'Sullivan 162k DEF: Played along the wing for spurts then was moved down back, looked promising at times, big Blicavs vibes. Jhye Clark 123k MID: Had the most CB's attendances for the Cats in the first quarter after Guthrie went down, could be a gem of a pick...

Hawks :Massimo D'Ambrosio 224k DEF: Had 26 possessions and looked very good, only concern was that there was no Amon who will probably take some of those away but definitely did well.Nick Watson 189k MID/FWD: 8 disposals for the day, probably a no go. Henry Hustwaite 184k MID: Had the ball on a string for 24 possessions and arguably best on ground for the Hawks. Jai Serong 174k DEF: 11 Possessions for the big man down back, you'd assume fighting with Phillips for a spot come opening round. Ethan Phillips 102K DEF: Played after halftime, 5 possessions but didn't do his chances any harm at all.

Western Bulldogs :Ryley Sanders 184k MID: Looked amazing in the midfield, played predominantly there, no Bont or Treloar in this game but you'd imagine it wouldn't matter, all class. Had 25 possessions and kicked a snag. Nick Coffield 123k DEF: Started slowly but really worked into the game, looked solid by the end of it, took a few marks and had 18 possessions. Buku Khamis 123k FWD: Played in the backline, had 12 possessions, sneaky option if picked. Sam Darcy 123k FWD: Looked very good going into the middle and rucking, although there was no Tim English in this game, he finished with 16 possessions.

Adelaide Curtin 175k DEF/MID: Played in the backline after coming on, depending on how Mark Keane recovers from his concussion we could see Curtin round 1, had 7 possessions.

Port Adelaide :Josh Sinn 123k MID: Came on late, had 3 possessions. St Kilda :Hugo Garcia 117k MID/FWD: Wasn't too bad, had 6 possessions and 4 tackles. Darcy Wilson 130k MID/FWD: Looked to show a bit in the time he had on the ground, had 10 possessions accompanied by 4 marks.

Essendon :Zach Reid 123k DEF: 5 disposals , absolute graveyard pick.

Fremantle :Tom Emmet 182k FWD: 11 disposals, 1 mark, 1 goal and 2 behinds, used the ball poorly. Cooper Simpson 117k MID/FWD: Played a half, had 10 possessions, 4 tackles, 1 mark and a sausage roll. Jeremy Sharp 123k MID: Pulled out late due to sickness.

West Coast :Campbell Chesser 199k MID: 13 possessions with 1 tackle, would not touch. Harley Reid 207k MID/FWD: Played across half back, took a couple of kick ins but wasn't impressive. Had 7 possessions with 4 tackles and got cramp late on.

HUGE THANKYOU TO
@aflcentral1
for statistics and context regarding a few scenarios.
@SuperCoach_Hub

@Supercoach

For the Tiger fans. Any word on Sam Naismith’s chances for Round 1 with Nankervis looking like he is out early?

I’ve had him at R3 the whole preseason and the Round 1 sphincter tightening is starting 😃

Fremantle :Tom Emmet 182k FWD: 11 disposals, 1 mark, 1 goal and 2 behinds, used the ball poorly...

There seems to be a lot on the Freo board talking him up for Rd. 1.
Keeping an eye on him, but the fwd rookies are looking good this year.

My F5-8 is currently Windsor, Sexton, Macrae and Mannagh.

Three of those will have the advantage of having their R0 scores contribute to their price.

All else being equal, I'd prefer to choose the kids with the one game headstart.

Keeping an eye on him, but the fwd rookies are looking good this year.

My F5-8 is currently Windsor, Sexton, Macrae and Mannagh.

Three of those will have the advantage of having their R0 scores contribute to their price.

All else being equal, I'd prefer to choose the kids with the one game headstart.
$180k is a lot for a small forward. Better to take the players getting midfield time or playing half back. Emmett will need goals to score well.

Well I have pretty much decided that I'm not going to start Harley Reid. I wasn't sure before hand but last night sort of confirmed my initial thoughts that he isn't 100% ready for AFL footy fitness wise. It has been talked about already that he dosen't have a great tank and also cramping last night is a red flag for me. West coast would be mad to thrash this kid when they are no chance of playing finals this year and I doubt he will score high and also have great JS.

His first 7 games are all hard games and plenty of travel.

R1 Port away
R2 Gws home
R3 Doggies away
R4 Syd home
R5 Tigers home
R6 Freo home
R7 GCS away

He only played 13 games last season :
4 for Vic Country
6 for Bendigo Pioneers
3 for Carlton VFL

I think he will be a great player but not this year and I think there will be much better options cheaper.
I've been in two minds with Harley over the last few days and this post tipped me over the edge. He's out of my side now, haha. Downgraded him to Sexton and somehow found a way to squeeze Sheldrick into my mids. Huge, huge risk; one I'm likely to change. 300k is a sizeable sum for a player.

I've been in two minds with Harley over the last few days and this post tipped me over the edge. He's out of my side now, haha. Downgraded him to Sexton and somehow found a way to squeeze Sheldrick into my mids. Huge, huge risk; one I'm likely to change. 300k is a sizeable sum for a player.
I understand the questions about Sheldrick, due to the awkward price, but I really like the pick. His PPM last year was among the best. 3 games in a row of 90+ before getting injured in the first quarter of the last game he played for the year. Defiinitely on the watchlist with Parker out for a while.

I understand the questions about Sheldrick, due to the awkward price, but I really like the pick. His PPM last year was among the best. 3 games in a row of 90+ before getting injured in the first quarter of the last game he played for the year. Defiinitely on the watchlist with Parker out for a while.
Yup, with Mills and now Parker out, I think there's a spot for him in side. Having watched him in all the games last season he seems like the type that has the natural ability to get into nice spots and knows how to find the footy. I'm definitely warming up to him, it will be hard to turn him down if he is named to play Melbourne. We'll see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back