VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Stranger things have happened than defenders being discovered as forwards, or vice versa (we usually do this and much earlier than with Hamling moving forward).

It's just VFL level, and too early to suggest Hamling would be better than alternatives, even Francis, up forward at senior level, but it's possible. Especially in a more defensive tall role where he both tries to nullify a KPD who might otherwise intercept a lot, and try to kick a couple the other way.

Also, he's no long term prospect, but it's handy to find out over the next few years.

Shane Ellen, had kicked 3 goals in 38 games as a defender, at his 2nd club after being delisted, until the 97 grand final where he kicked 5.
Used to be a KPD called Xavier Richards who even played in a GF as a forward. Not that it was wildly successful...

LUKE Parker nailed a stunning 70m torpedo punt with four minutes remaining to hand Sydney a thrilling six-point victory over North Melbourne in a classic contest at Arden Street Oval.

The Swans’ superstar wasn’t quite as prolific as in his previous two VFL games as he tries to win his AFL spot back but was still the difference maker with the stunning launch that nobody who has seen his 283 games at the highest level thought possible.

Sydney led for most of the day and looked like running away with it when new-found forward Joel Hamling booted his fourth goal and Indhi Kirk hit the target to extend the different to 15 points at the 11-minute mark of the last term.

But North hit back through young ruck Taylor Goad, No. 3 draft pick Zane Duursma and gun goal kicker Sam Lowson to hit the front in time-on.

The Swans missed two chances to regain the lead before Parker loaded up to take it back for the final time as the visitors held on to re-enter the top 10.

Braeden Campbell (27 disposals, nine marks, five clearances, nine tackles, seven entries) was a class above for Sydney, with highly-touted Academy graduate Caiden Cleary (29 disposals, 10 marks, five tackles), Parker (24 disposals, seven tackles, one goal) and Ben Edwards (24 disposals, seven entries) impressing underneath in-form big man Peter Ladhams (25 disposals, eight clearances, 20 hitouts).

Will Edwards, Patrick Snell, Jaiden Magor and Max Geddes performed well in defence and Hamling (four) and Phill Moi Moi (three) booted seven goals between them up forward.

Broken record time.

GWS and ourselves both had match reports from our respective reserves matches on the weekend.

GWS also produced a player by player snapshot and commentary by their reserves coach;

We got

It really shouldn't be that hard. 😒

I think our VFL team plays down in Melbourne on Friday night. So I assume we will have one non travelling emergency that won't get a game this week. Like Caleb Mitchell last week.
Reckon if we have Fox and Francis in the 23 (which covers a late out KPD), it'll be Ladhams PLUS a small that stays back (Campbell probably, gives Mitchell a full game).

Though not sure who rucks in reserves then. Green and maybe Buller.

We might chance it with just smalls staying back, but it'd be safer if it's 2 players. Not unheard of to have 2 late outs.

Reckon if we have Fox and Francis in the 23 (which covers a late out KPD), it'll be Ladhams PLUS a small that stays back (Campbell probably, gives Mitchell a full game).

We might chance it with just smalls staying back, but it'd be safer if it's 2 players. Not unheard of to have 2 late outs.
Campbell had 2 games as sub , he needs footy

COACHES VOTES

North Melbourne 12.8 (80) def by Sydney Swans 12.14 (86)

Braeden Campbell (SYD)
5 Jarrod Lienert (NM)
4 Peter Ladhams (SYD)
3 Joel Hamling (SYD)
3 Sam Lowson (NM)
2 Caiden Cleary (SYD)
2 Max Geddes (SYD)
1 Zane Duursma (NM)
1 Jack Watkins (NM)

Buller not even named on the injury list after missing the North VFL game “injured” - not even in consideration

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was thinking of heading down to Funky Town on Friday night but not sure there is much point when I'm likely to spend a majority of the time watching the seniors on my phone anyway.
Make sure you have Bigfooty open in case you want to talk about it, talk about it, talk about it

I just finished watching last week's VFL game. I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts.

- Of all the players in our VFL side, I think Caiden Cleary is the one who I'm most excited about. His hands to find the free Swan are so impressive and makes it really easy to see how he could fit into our midfield in the future. He just makes good decisions.

- I'm really pleased with Indhi Kirk's progression. I was a little skeptical about us drafting him last year, even if it was just as a Cat B rookie, as he seemed to be not much more than a decent top-up player. I won't speculate as to why, but for whatever reason, he is really looking the part of a quality, AFL-listed player in his games so far this year. He's a smooth mover and looks assured with the ball, and has impressed me more than some of the guys who were already on the list before him, like Magor, Vickery and Konstanty.

- Just on Konstanty, this might sound harsh, but I'm still waiting to see if he has the required talent. This is not to say he's not talented - he's had some great moments in games so far - but is he talented enough? Does he have the weapons to be an AFL-standard player and a good one at that? There just still seems to be a few too many mis-kicks and poor reading of the ball, etc., things that should be a gun small forward's bread and butter.

- And just on Magor, I did still like his game. He was dump-kicking out of defence a lot, which was frustrating to start with but almost became more important the more he did them. The sheer number of times he cleared it alleviated a lot of pressure on our defence and then he steadied and showed more composure as the game went on.

- As far as ability, I'm yet to really see much from Will Green, mainly because he looks like a baby giraffe trying to stand for the first time. But his competitiveness and desire to give second efforts is evident. I think there's something to work with there once he puts some meat on.

- Other than Cleary, the two who excite me most are Snell & Edwards, as individuals yeah, but especially as a pair. It's just good to have two big, young developing key backs playing together. Both look good in 1v1s and are good readers of the play. Although I think Edwards got exposed a number of times playing on the craftier Duursma in this game, but I think it wasn't a good match-up in general.

- I liked Campbell's game and agree with most that he was probably our best, but there was a clear moment that I think really emphasised why he's not yet taking the forward strides we'd hope to see. He was running with the ball along the outer side and had Cleary all alone in the middle, about 45m out. Instead of trying to get it to Cleary, he went the short kick to a player on the boundary line. Campbell had to attempt to bite off that kick inboard. It was the risky option, but if anyone could do it, it would be him. But it never will be him doing those kicks if he doesn't have the confidence to try them. I think he needs to play with more of that 'won't die wondering' mentality that a lot of the players in our senior side do. It's probably the main thing holding him back at the moment, as I certainly don't think it's ability.

- Finally just wanted to give a shout out to Gemma Bastiani, who I'm a massive fan of. Her balance of no-nonsense and banter (as well as ability to bring AFLW into conversations in a way that feels natural and not forced) is just right. But I particularly like her calls on individual players. Her observations of how Moi Moi fades as games go on, how Ladhams sometimes has days where he's 'on' and then others where he isn't on at all, how Geddes isn't prolific but has real moments of impact, etc. There's no labels, or "he's a star" rhetoric or hyperbole. Just good, common sense commentary from someone with a real knowledge and understanding and feel for the game.

Sorry for the rant.

I just finished watching last week's VFL game. I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts.

- Of all the players in our VFL side, I think Caiden Cleary is the one who I'm most excited about. His hands to find the free Swan are so impressive and makes it really easy to see how he could fit into our midfield in the future. He just makes good decisions.

- I'm really pleased with Indhi Kirk's progression. I was a little skeptical about us drafting him last year, even if it was just as a Cat B rookie, as he seemed to be not much more than a decent top-up player. I won't speculate as to why, but for whatever reason, he is really looking the part of a quality, AFL-listed player in his games so far this year. He's a smooth mover and looks assured with the ball, and has impressed me more than some of the guys who were already on the list before him, like Magor, Vickery and Konstanty.

- Just on Konstanty, this might sound harsh, but I'm still waiting to see if he has the required talent. This is not to say he's not talented - he's had some great moments in games so far - but is he talented enough? Does he have the weapons to be an AFL-standard player and a good one at that? There just still seems to be a few too many mis-kicks and poor reading of the ball, etc., things that should be a gun small forward's bread and butter.

- And just on Magor, I did still like his game. He was dump-kicking out of defence a lot, which was frustrating to start with but almost became more important the more he did them. The sheer number of times he cleared it alleviated a lot of pressure on our defence and then he steadied and showed more composure as the game went on.

- As far as ability, I'm yet to really see much from Will Green, mainly because he looks like a baby giraffe trying to stand for the first time. But his competitiveness and desire to give second efforts is evident. I think there's something to work with there once he puts some meat on.

- Other than Cleary, the two who excite me most are Snell & Edwards, as individuals yeah, but especially as a pair. It's just good to have two big, young developing key backs playing together. Both look good in 1v1s and are good readers of the play. Although I think Edwards got exposed a number of times playing on the craftier Duursma in this game, but I think it wasn't a good match-up in general.

- I liked Campbell's game and agree with most that he was probably our best, but there was a clear moment that I think really emphasised why he's not yet taking the forward strides we'd hope to see. He was running with the ball along the outer side and had Cleary all alone in the middle, about 45m out. Instead of trying to get it to Cleary, he went the short kick to a player on the boundary line. Campbell had to attempt to bite off that kick inboard. It was the risky option, but if anyone could do it, it would be him. But it never will be him doing those kicks if he doesn't have the confidence to try them. I think he needs to play with more of that 'won't die wondering' mentality that a lot of the players in our senior side do. It's probably the main thing holding him back at the moment, as I certainly don't think it's ability.

- Finally just wanted to give a shout out to Gemma Bastiani, who I'm a massive fan of. Her balance of no-nonsense and banter (as well as ability to bring AFLW into conversations in a way that feels natural and not forced) is just right. But I particularly like her calls on individual players. Her observations of how Moi Moi fades as games go on, how Ladhams sometimes has days where he's 'on' and then others where he isn't on at all, how Geddes isn't prolific but has real moments of impact, etc. There's no labels, or "he's a star" rhetoric or hyperbole. Just good, common sense commentary from someone with a real knowledge and understanding and feel for the game.

Sorry for the rant.
Remember Brett Kirk was a late bloomer

Sorry for the rant.
Agree with your analysis, in particular Kirk. His outside run and kicking have been excellent. Just another good kick to add to our list!

FRANKSTON vs SYDNEY SWANS​

Friday 17 May, 7:35pm
Kinetic Stadium

SYDNEY SWANS
B:
J. Magor (32), B. Laws (64), J. Endemann (57)
HB: P. Snell (41), J. Hamling (29), C. Vickery (25)
C: B. Edwards (50), A. Sheldrick (12), M. Geddes (61)
HF: J. Konstanty (18), J. Buller (39), I. Kirk (31)
F: W. Smit (66), L. Parker (26), P. Moi Moi (56)
R: W. Green (45), C. Cleary (33), C. Mitchell (35)
INT: J. Bartholomaeus (53), B. Ashley-Cooper (51), Har. Morrison (55), T. Gander (63), N. Shipley (52)
EMG: J. Lugsdin (67), Ham. Morrison (62), J. Tidemann (59), K. Grass (65),

IN: J. Buller, T. Gander, C. Mitchell, Har. Morrison, A. Sheldrick
OUT: B. Campbell (AFL), W. Edwards (leg), P. Ladhams (injured), L. McAndrew (concussion), J. Lugsdin

FRANKSTON vs SYDNEY SWANS​

Friday 17 May, 7:35pm
Kinetic Stadium

SYDNEY SWANS
B:
J. Magor (32), B. Laws (64), J. Endemann (57)
HB: P. Snell (41), J. Hamling (29), C. Vickery (25)
C: B. Edwards (50), A. Sheldrick (12), M. Geddes (61)
HF: J. Konstanty (18), J. Buller (39), I. Kirk (31)
F: W. Smit (66), L. Parker (26), P. Moi Moi (56)
R: W. Green (45), C. Cleary (33), C. Mitchell (35)
INT: J. Bartholomaeus (53), B. Ashley-Cooper (51), Har. Morrison (55), T. Gander (63), N. Shipley (52)
EMG: J. Lugsdin (67), Ham. Morrison (62), J. Tidemann (59), K. Grass (65),

IN: J. Buller, T. Gander, C. Mitchell, Har. Morrison, A. Sheldrick
OUT: B. Campbell (AFL), W. Edwards (leg), P. Ladhams (injured), L. McAndrew (concussion), J. Lugsdin

I know how dodgy team sheets can be but would like to see Parker play a full game as a marking forward given that forward line being very small and crafty as i think thats the only way he can get back into the side given what we have seen and heard from the selectors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back