VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree pretty much 100% with this KC.
Hate to see players go because it's a failure in their lives and it must hit them pretty hard. But it's part of the nature of the business. I've fired people and it's horrible.
We'll be looking to create at least 4 senior and probably 2 rookie list spots. If none of the current best 25 or so want to trade out and only Reid retires then 5 of these guys will go.

Kirk was a bit quiet. He's had much more productive games. Not sure if it's the recent setbacks because he was pretty good two weeks ago (unless my memory is mashed up, which it probably is).

I've been a little disappointed in Magor this year. Not that he's been poor but just hasn't show a heap of improvement from a very solid first year. But Friday was the best I've seen him play this year (and admittedly I've not been able to watch all the VFL games this season).

Vickery I thought was OK but I'm still not seeing anything that indicates he will graduate to senior AFL. He does, however, seem to be playing this year (and not just Friday) with more exuberance and confidence. Last year, in between injuries, it felt like he didn't think he belonged in senior footy (even second tier senior footy).

Does anyone know much about Laws? I agree with you that he's been impressive, not just yesterday but across the last few games.
Liz, I think you hit the nail on the head with Vickery. His self view seems to have changed. He is showing more initiative and confidence than before.He also seems more willing and able to use his body than before. I remain hopeful. We need a small defender to come on to replace Lloyd and Cunningham.

I'm waiting/hoping for Magor to really take a game by the throat because his disposal is effortlessly sublime at times. However he seems to be in the mcInerney school of laconic urgency.

Re Laws I know little other than he seems to be 20 years old.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Liz, I think you hit the nail on the head with Vickery. His self view seems to have changed. He is showing more initiative and confidence than before.He also seems more willing and able to use his body than before. I remain hopeful. We need a small defender to come on to replace Lloyd and Cunningham.

I'm waiting/hoping for Magor to really take a game by the throat because his disposal is effortlessly sublime at times. However he seems to be in the mcInerney school of laconic urgency.

Re Laws I know little other than he seems to be 20 years old.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
I agree we desperately need a quality small defender in the pipeline. And the good news is that we don't need them to be ready now, but in a couple of years time. So if the club likes what it sees with Vickery (off-field as much as on-field) it's worth them perservering with him and giving him plenty of time.

The game that turned me from being a bit of a fan of Magor to really enthusiastic about him was the smashing we got from Gold Coast towards the end of last year. We were outplayed pretty much across the ground by a strong, deep team with plenty of AFL experience and strong bodies. But he was our shining light. And it wasn't his skills that differentiated him but rather his defensive determination. I recall him tackling a Suns ruck (probably Moyle) and he was well outside his weight division but refused to let go.

Last edited:

VFL ROUND REVIEW

SYDNEY’s marking forwards proved the difference as the Swans kept themselves in touch with the Smithy’s VFL top 10 with a hard-fought 21-point win over the Northern Bullants at Tramway Oval on Friday.

The Bullants went into the game with the confidence of a 2-0 win-loss record against the Swans and took early advantage of the home team losing inside-mid Angus Sheldrick to a knee injury in the first five minutes to kick three of the first four goals.

Two of those went to Saad El-Hawli, who showed he could still play the forward role where he started his VFL career at Werribee. El-Hawli produced another timely starring role that yielded 33 disposals, six marks, six inside-50s, seven rebounds and two goals ahead of Wednesday’s AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

His regular cohorts in leading the Ants – Jean-Luc Velissaris (33 disposals), Patrick Fairlie (32), Liam Mackie (26) and Caleb Franks (24) – were again good, but Sydney just had too much class for too long as it fought back to lead at quarter-time and grew the advantage as far as 38 points before the visitors kicked the last two goals.

Caiden Cleary was unstoppable with 39 disposals, six marks, five clearances, five tackles, seven entries and a goal for the Swans and Caleb Mitchell proved a valuable sidekick, but it was their tall timber in attack that caused all manner of headaches, with Joel Hamling (eight marks, three goals) leading the way and Phill Moi Moi (three goals) also hitting the scoreboard, while Jack Buller and Harry Morrison also got multiple set shots at goal.

VFL ROUND REVIEW

but it was their tall timber in attack that caused all manner of headaches, with Joel Hamling (eight marks, three goals) leading the way and Phill Moi Moi (three goals) also hitting the scoreboard, while Jack Buller and Harry Morrison also got multiple set shots at goal.

Huh? Moi Moi is now tall?

(Not aimed at you, A26P. Just whoever write the review.)

With yesterday's re-signing of Snell and Edwards, hope they keep playing Hamling up forward. Benefits both the young guys to hasten their development down back against key forwards in the VFL and gives Hamling more experience as a forward where he seems to have gone okay recently.

Can't see Reid being kept on next season but Hamling is contracted for next season so would be good to have him in good form as a potential back-up option for the three tall forwards.

With yesterday's re-signing of Snell and Edwards, hope they keep playing Hamling up forward. Benefits both the young guys to hasten their development down back against key forwards in the VFL and gives Hamling more experience as a forward where he seems to have gone okay recently.

Can't see Reid being kept on next season but Hamling is contracted for next season so would be good to have him in good form as a potential back-up option for the three tall forwards.
Hamling can always go back if needed. I can't help wondering why we chose Francis over him to replace Tommy. Not saying it was wrong, just wondering what the reasons were.

Hamling can always go back if needed. I can't help wondering why we chose Francis over him to replace Tommy. Not saying it was wrong, just wondering what the reasons were.

Probably knew the system more and to be fair to Francis was good in the second game, but a complete liability against the Dogs.

Probably knew the system more and to be fair to Francis was good in the second game, but a complete liability against the Dogs.
Watching Francis I see him more as an interceptor/loose man than a key. He's a good mark but not so much contested as he doesn't have a great leap or reach. Decent player up to a point. Never be a star.
I haven't seen much of Hamling but I get the feeling he's a smarter player and better at locking down. A better kick. Also never be a star.
An interesting choice.
Given our extension of Edwards and Snell I wonder if we keep Francis given that Hamling has another year to run. I confess to being puzzled.

Watching Francis I see him more as an interceptor/loose man than a key. He's a good mark but not so much contested as he doesn't have a great leap or reach. Decent player up to a point. Never be a star.
I haven't seen much of Hamling but I get the feeling he's a smarter player and better at locking down. A better kick. Also never be a star.
An interesting choice.
Given our extension of Edwards and Snell I wonder if we keep Francis given that Hamling has another year to run. I confess to being puzzled.
I wonder if we sledge Hambling on his gifted flag

An interesting choice.
My guess is that Arnold is the unlucky one to be cut at the end of this season among the logjam of tall defenders. Francis to be kept on as back-up down back and at a pinch up forward. Also the possibility/probability of Cochran being drafted to add to tall defender stocks.

At the start of the season the most logical back-ups from the reserves team for the three tall forwards in seniors would have been Reid followed by Buller I'd say. Now both out long term. Hamling now first cab off the rank if needed? Ladhams? Francis?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't post after the game because I watched it live and have been ill for a few days since. Ironically, watching the game live in some ways makes it more difficult to comment. You get a different view of the game, in some ways better, in others, worse. However, particularly at Tramway I felt like it gave me much less of an opinion of how players went overall because you are so close to ground level and you see the stuff that happens close to you well but much harder with the rest of the play, especially when it's on the side of the field. And, of course, there is no screen to watch on when the play is far away.

Being at the game I found it much harder to pick up Cleary's excellence. Conversely, I thought Mitchell did very well despite the limited plaudits he has received. I do however agree that Shipley had his best game this season.

Was fun seeing Greeny go up against his older brother (and mostly get the better of him, IMO). The family were there for the occasion, including what looked like another brother.

The Sheldrick incident happened almost in front of me. I didn't see how he was injured but I certainly saw the grimacing etc afterwards. It didn't look good. I was quite surprised (and a bit encouraged) to see him manage the last part of his walk off the field unaided. Devastated for him though. Sorry for us also.

Laws stood out to me more in one of the previous games but he looks like a solid unit with reasonable mobility. Lugsdin didn't return to the form he showed before his week off but was still busy and bustling. Geddes worked hard.

I had a decent chat to W. Edwards pre-game. Turns out his infection (which sprang from a very minor cut he got from the same collision that resulted in the Hawks player having that horrific leg-break) was a lot worse than we have heard about. Anyway, it seemed all under control by last Friday and I expect he will be back for our next game. He didn't tell me he had re-signed (maybe it hadn't happened yet? not that I asked) but I did enthuse about how I have been enjoying his lockdown defending this season, whereas he was more excited to talk about his improvement in terms of his rebounding and ball use.

Regarding Sheldrick & Cleary, I see Sheldrick as a Tom Mitchell type player and Cleary more like a Taylor Adams. Both predominantly inside mids. Cleary perhaps a little less conspicuous, Sheldrick more bullocking and powerful. Both look great prospects but unfair to Cleary to compare them because Cleary is a couple of years further back. In terms of selections for seniors I think that if an inside mid went down they would first do as another (SeanM?) suggested and move Adams in and bring in someone like Mitchell. Additionally, I think Roberts is also in front of Cleary at this point of time.

Bloods86 sounds like you have been persuaded to give Qatar Airways a go. Were you just in transit at Doha, or did you check out the kingdom?

I didn't post after the game because I watched it live and have been ill for a few days since. Ironically, watching the game live in some ways makes it more difficult to comment. You get a different view of the game, in some ways better, in others, worse. However, particularly at Tramway I felt like it gave me much less of an opinion of how players went overall because you are so close to ground level and you see the stuff that happens close to you well but much harder with the rest of the play, especially when it's on the side of the field. And, of course, there is no screen to watch on when the play is far away.

Being at the game I found it much harder to pick up Cleary's excellence. Conversely, I thought Mitchell did very well despite the limited plaudits he has received. I do however agree that Shipley had his best game this season.

Was fun seeing Greeny go up against his older brother (and mostly get the better of him, IMO). The family were there for the occasion, including what looked like another brother.

The Sheldrick incident happened almost in front of me. I didn't see how he was injured but I certainly saw the grimacing etc afterwards. It didn't look good. I was quite surprised (and a bit encouraged) to see him manage the last part of his walk off the field unaided. Devastated for him though. Sorry for us also.

Laws stood out to me more in one of the previous games but he looks like a solid unit with reasonable mobility. Lugsdin didn't return to the form he showed before his week off but was still busy and bustling. Geddes worked hard.

I had a decent chat to W. Edwards pre-game. Turns out his infection (which sprang from a very minor cut he got from the same collision that resulted in the Hawks player having that horrific leg-break) was a lot worse than we have heard about. Anyway, it seemed all under control by last Friday and I expect he will be back for our next game. He didn't tell me he had re-signed (maybe it hadn't happened yet? not that I asked) but I did enthuse about how I have been enjoying his lockdown defending this season, whereas he was more excited to talk about his improvement in terms of his rebounding and ball use.

Spot on.

Yeah I reckon Will has expanded from a pure lock down. He is a magnificent kick.

What did you think about Konstanty’s game?

Regarding Sheldrick & Cleary, I see Sheldrick as a Tom Mitchell type player and Cleary more like a Taylor Adams. Both predominantly inside mids. Cleary perhaps a little less conspicuous, Sheldrick more bullocking and powerful. Both look great prospects but unfair to Cleary to compare them because Cleary is a couple of years further back. In terms of selections for seniors I think that if an inside mid went down they would first do as another (SeanM?) suggested and move Adams in and bring in someone like Mitchell. Additionally, I think Roberts is also in front of Cleary at this point of time.

Bloods86 sounds like you have been persuaded to give Qatar Airways a go. Were you just in transit at Doha, or did you check out the kingdom?
Usually fly Qatar to Europe as they fly out of Adelaide. Just in transit.

Spot on.

Yeah I reckon Will has expanded from a pure lock down. He is a magnificent kick.

What did you think about Konstanty’s game?

Konstanty's game was ok. He did some great things (a goal assist, a good tackle), scored a couple of goals, went through the midfield at times if I recall. However nothing that made me really take notice, nothing to excite me.

The one thing I will say is Konstanty has improved over the last month. However he needs to improve to stay. Vickery has not shown anything much.

The only ones from that year look like keepers are Edwards, Mathews and Magor.

The one thing I will say is Konstanty has improved over the last month. However he needs to improve to stay. Vickery has not shown anything much.

The only ones from that year look like keepers are Edwards, Mathews and Magor.

It's looking increasingly possible that Konstanty may not stay. Rumours Saints may be hovering. However if someone else wants him they should have to pony up at least a decent second rounder (I hope). Will be up to Konstanty what he wants to do I suspect.

Vickery I was keen on but I have cooled on. He needs to show more. I think he has the tools but not the runs on the board.

Edwards has been improving steadily. I wasn't that keen last year but have been converted this year. He certainly has the tools and is accruing runs.

Not sure who you mean by Mathews. Maybe Sid Mitchell? He's going well. Taking it right up to Corey Warner and right now I reckon they are neck and neck but Mitchell has the momentum.

I'm not that big on Magor. Good at VFL level. Hasn't shown a lot to suggest he'll make it in the big time (yet) IMO. I was surprised they moved him to defence but he has relished the change.

The club is clearly sold on Snell. I like what I have seen but it is still only a few games in and I can't be as definitive.

Since the Frankston game I think we can say that Green is definitely a hit.

And Kirk is the only one left of our new draftees from the past two years, if I'm not mistaken. He's surpassed expectations. He has in his favour that he's a cat B rookie. If there's another contender for cat B rookie I wonder if we would delist him and the possibly re-list him depending on what transpires? There's going to be an awful lot of pressure for list spots. And some of those I'd be most willing to cull are not coming out of contract this season.

It's looking increasingly possible that Konstanty may not stay. Rumours Saints may be hovering. However if someone else wants him they should have to pony up at least a decent second rounder (I hope). Will be up to Konstanty what he wants to do I suspect.

Vickery I was keen on but I have cooled on. He needs to show more. I think he has the tools but not the runs on the board.

Edwards has been improving steadily. I wasn't that keen last year but have been converted this year. He certainly has the tools and is accruing runs.

Not sure who you mean by Mathews. Maybe Sid Mitchell? He's going well. Taking it right up to Corey Warner and right now I reckon they are neck and neck but Mitchell has the momentum.

I'm not that big on Magor. Good at VFL level. Hasn't shown a lot to suggest he'll make it in the big time (yet) IMO. I was surprised they moved him to defence but he has relished the change.

The club is clearly sold on Snell. I like what I have seen but it is still only a few games in and I can't be as definitive.

And Kirk is the only one left of our new draftees from the past two years, if I'm not mistaken. He's surpassed expectations. He has in his favour that he's a cat B rookie. If there's another contender for cat B rookie I wonder if we would delist him and the possibly re-list him depending on what transpires? There's going to be an awful lot of pressure for list spots. And some of those I'd be most willing to cull are not coming out of contract this season.
I like your optimism re: Konstanty's trade value - but realistically, he hasn't debuted & we'd have fundamentally zero leverage in any trade negotiation.

Great post as always Calli.

Re Magor, I wonder if he is struggling with the exact same issue Rankin was struggling with, which is that you simply can't show much playing off half back in an average reserves side.

I feel like where at senior level there are crowded defensive 50s where half backs can essentially play like midfielders and get their hands on the ball, in the reserves - at least to my eye - there tends to just be a higher percentage of marks inside 50, and less defensive 50 stoppages. It's much more open and even more uncontested than at AFL level. Which in theory should give those half backs even more time and space to work with and to run and carry the ball, or break some lines.

...except it's very hard to do this when our structure ahead of the ball is often non-existent, either through lack of options or those options simply not being good enough. Our half backs too often simply don't have leading players they can pinpoint a pass to, nor do they have numbers ahead of the ball that they can run & carry with.

It becomes something of a graveyard position, not in terms of finding the ball, but doing anything with it. Take Mitchell and Warner Jr. for example. Both lighter-framed*, running, predominantly-outside types like Magor & Rankin. I don't necessarily think they have a higher level of skill or ability than the two half backs, but I think they simply have more opportunities to do more damage playing in the front half, kicking inside 50 from the wing or working the ball out from centre stoppages, as Mitchell's been doing a bit of lately. They're involved in scoring passages and even snagging a few highlights themselves.

We missed the chance to give those opportunities to Rankin last year, instead basically keeping him in the same role where he was solid but unremarkable his entire time at the Swans. I don't want us to make the same mistake with Magor. Maybe he'll be good enough, maybe he won't be, but geez I'd hate for him to get cut at the end of the year because we were just content with him playing his role even at the expense of him developing into something more.

*Warner Jr's pre-season photos suggested he had gone full Hulk over the summer, and whilst he has definitely put on some size, his lack of size relative to most others was still glaring in his few senior appearances this year. (No shame in that, he is only young still.)

Agree with most of the points Callipygian and caesar88

Yep my brain is being weirder than usual. I confuse Mitchell’s and Mathew’s. Caleb might benefit from sprint training in summer. At the least it would make Jack Hiscox smile.

The only we get a token pick for JK is threatening to send him to Norf.

I'm pretty excited that Beatson says that Snell reminds him a lot of Craig Bolton. That'll do me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back