Toast 2024 - The Year of the Magpie

Remove this Banner Ad

A toast to a prosperous 2024. May we remain healthy and happy whilst we watch our magnificent team strive for the ultimate glory again.

Happy New Year šŸ„³

I echo your sentiments. Your thread title forces me to caution against the hubris we so hated in the Richmond camp a few years ago. We have just had a stunning year, building on 2022 when I thought we overperformed. Both years were built on two absolute stars of the game who are reaching the ends of their roads. For 2024 to be as good for them seems to me something we can hope for, but are tempting fate to expect.
We have lost our centre half forward for the year, and have given away a dangerous small forward. We hope we have gained one of the latter, but our big forward situation rests on hopes rather than a lot of evidence. I do expect the Daicos boys to be even better this year if they don't get injured, and I think the backline is set up to cover Jeremy Howe if he starts to flag. Adams is a considerable loss.
So we are starting the whole season the same as everyone else, on zero points and every game a challenge. I will be very disappointed if (I suppose when) the more feral contributors here turn on those of our players who find they struggle in the new season. Some will drop a bit, but we have to hope that improved performances elsewhere will compensate. I am looking forward to the footy, but not so much to the big footy condemnation of our own players' when they struggle.

I echo your sentiments. Your thread title forces me to caution against the hubris we so hated in the Richmond camp a few years ago. We have just had a stunning year, building on 2022 when I thought we overperformed. Both years were built on two absolute stars of the game who are reaching the ends of their roads. For 2024 to be as good for them seems to me something we can hope for, but are tempting fate to expect.
We have lost our centre half forward for the year, and have given away a dangerous small forward. We hope we have gained one of the latter, but our big forward situation rests on hopes rather than a lot of evidence. I do expect the Daicos boys to be even better this year if they don't get injured, and I think the backline is set up to cover Jeremy Howe if he starts to flag. Adams is a considerable loss.
So we are starting the whole season the same as everyone else, on zero points and every game a challenge. I will be very disappointed if (I suppose when) the more feral contributors here turn on those of our players who find they struggle in the new season. Some will drop a bit, but we have to hope that improved performances elsewhere will compensate. I am looking forward to the footy, but not so much to the big footy condemnation of our own players' when they struggle.

I Couldnt Agree More GIF by YoungerTV

Happy New Year to all Collingwood supporters here. Wishing everyone a healthy and successful year.

2023 was a dream come true. It's something we'll all cherish for the rest of our lives.

Here's to a successful 2024 as we attempt consecutive flags for the first time since 1935-1936.

Last edited:
Happy New Year to all of you, and I think itā€™s important to reflect at this time, upon the fact that youā€™re all fundamentally better people than everyone else, because you barrack for Collingwood. One musnā€™t lose sight of this truth, no matter what.

Happy New Year to all of you, and I think itā€™s important to reflect at this time, upon the fact that youā€™re all fundamentally better people than everyone else, because you barrack for Collingwood. One musnā€™t lose sight of this truth, no matter what.
Nah there's really no need for that. The footy team that one supports has no bearing on the quality of their character. Furthermore -
...oh I can't keep writing this with a straight face. You are, of course, 100% correct. Collllllllliiinngwwwoooooooodd!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy new year everyone and I'll leave you with a txt my daughter sent me this morning

from the Collingwood Football Club

"if you start watching the replay of the 2023 GF at exactly 9:18pm tonight the final siren will
sound just as midnight strikes!"
But I fast forward through their goals, lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back