#21 - Braydon Preuss - Dropping bombs from outside 50 cause that's what ruckmen do

Remove this Banner Ad

Good get by the club.

Gawn playing all games in 2016 and 2018 were anomalies and there were a few games that he potentially could have sat out but we didn't have any other options that wouldn't require changing our bounce set ups. Gives Gawn the ability to get 100% right before coming back. No more repeats of 2017 again.

Will also be handy against teams with 2 rucks. Not sure if we should make that our plan a though.

Most importantly fills cult ruck from Townsville slot vacated by the Spencil.

Big unit who likes to throw his weight around. Can take a contested overhead mark. Uses bulk and height to control drop zone at ball ups/throw ins. Reasonable skills/decision making in general play. Long kick.

Only query may be endurance but that tends to improve as big ruckman mature.

Good trade as it gives us a ready to go ruck to cover an injured Gawn or to play 2 rucks if matchups are there.

Good luck to Tyson at North. Can’t say I was a fan of Tyson on the wing. Can win contested ball and has occasionally showed overhead marking and long goal ability but one paced, often too slow to dispose and disposal inconsistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If his tank is his biggest problem, the best place for him to be is chasing Max around the training track.

Has anyone taken the time to look at our procession of gun ruckmen the last 30 years or so? (it might go longer, but I'm 34, so ...)

Starting with Stynes, into White, into Jamar, into Max, with Preuss now the heir apparent ... All of them All Australians, its a remarkable run. Also special mention to Darren Jolly who left for more opportunity and won a couple of premierships.

If his tank is his biggest problem, the best place for him to be is chasing Max around the training track.

Has anyone taken the time to look at our procession of gun ruckmen the last 30 years or so? (it might go longer, but I'm 34, so ...)

Starting with Stynes, into White, into Jamar, into Max, with Preuss now the heir apparent ... All of them All Australians, its a remarkable run. Also special mention to Darren Jolly who left for more opportunity and won a couple of premierships.
Simmonds had a reasonable career elsewhere too.

Great back up to Max, young and very willing to learn. Along with that young bloke we signed as a Cat B rookie the future of our rucks looks good. No disrespect to the delisted rucks we recently got rid of

Yep we’ve had crazy good rucks. Only way I comfort myself over Neeld getting rid of Stef is that we probably would have traded Gawn once Roos came on board. Martin has always been a first ruck or bust type, ever since he first played there.

This guy is mumford MK2. We let north develop him and then steal him when he's ready to play. Awesome and another reason why you should only draft a ruck if you think they are a special talent. Let some other dick head develop them.
I assume you're taking the piss a little there, considering we developed Gawn and even saw him through a couple of knee ops. That would make us the biggest dickheads to ever develop the premier ruckman in the comp. ;)

I assume you're taking the piss a little there, considering we developed Gawn and even saw him through a couple of knee ops. That would make us the biggest dickheads to ever develop the premier ruckman in the comp. ;)

That's why the little disclaimer about if you think they are a special talent, like Grundy who was taken 20 or something early like that.

Jacobs
Martin
Leunburger
Smith
McEvoy
Ryder
Nankervis
Sinclair
Longer
Boyd

Vardy Lycett Preuss etc

The best ruckmen are developed, but unless they are natanui/Grundy level just wait for someone else to do the work and steal them.

That's why the little disclaimer about if you think they are a special talent, like Grundy who was taken 20 or something early like that.

Jacobs
Martin
Leunburger
Smith
McEvoy
Ryder
Nankervis
Sinclair
Longer
Boyd

Vardy Lycett Preuss etc

The best ruckmen are developed, but unless they are natanui/Grundy level just wait for someone else to do the work and steal them.
Yeah, that's a fair call. It's not like Hawthorn ever developed a ruckman, they just swoop in and grab em when they're ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We needed a back up ruckman and we got a good one. At least that solves one issue and will stop the "we are screwed if Max goes down" comments.

I am concerned we are going in to 2019 way too tall. IF we are thinking of playing 2 rucks at various stages(which it appears we have told Preuss and Max we will be), then it goes against current trends of the game. I simply cant see how, TMac, Weid, Hogan, Pruess, Gawn, plus OMac, Frost and Lever will be a winning combination. Far too tall. Yes, we might not have Hogan next season, but by the sounds of it May will replace him if that happens. I'm sure one of Frost or Omac misses once Lever comes good. I don't know, it just seems far too tall to me.

Also, as frustrating as Tyson was, he was the immediate replacement when one of our gun mids got injured. He was like our 6th man off the bench who could come straight in and not look out of place in the middle. Who is that guy now? I think with Kent, Tyson, Bugg etc leaving, our depth which was looking decent, has now vanished and looks like being replaced with what? VFL players or players who've been rejected by multiple clubs? Like i said, as frustrating as Tyson was, we should have done more to keep him IMO.

We needed a back up ruckman and we got a good one. At least that solves one issue and will stop the "we are screwed if Max goes down" comments.

I am concerned we are going in to 2019 way too tall. IF we are thinking of playing 2 rucks at various stages(which it appears we have told Preuss and Max we will be), then it goes against current trends of the game. I simply cant see how, TMac, Weid, Hogan, Pruess, Gawn, plus OMac, Frost and Lever will be a winning combination. Far too tall. Yes, we might not have Hogan next season, but by the sounds of it May will replace him if that happens. I'm sure one of Frost or Omac misses once Lever comes good. I don't know, it just seems far too tall to me.

Also, as frustrating as Tyson was, he was the immediate replacement when one of our gun mids got injured. He was like our 6th man off the bench who could come straight in and not look out of place in the middle. Who is that guy now? I think with Kent, Tyson, Bugg etc leaving, our depth which was looking decent, has now vanished and looks like being replaced with what? VFL players or players who've been rejected by multiple clubs? Like i said, as frustrating as Tyson was, we should have done more to keep him IMO.

At a centre bounce you have Oliver Viney Harmes.

That leaves Brayshaw, Jones, Petracca, AVB, Salem who can all play in the middle if need be.
Not a concern at all.

At a centre bounce you have Oliver Viney Harmes.

That leaves Brayshaw, Jones, Petracca, AVB, Salem who can all play in the middle if need be.
Not a concern at all.
You’re annoyingly sanguine for the time of year.

You’re right though. There’s clearly a fair bit to play out since we wouldn’t have delisted half a zillion blokes without some kind of strategy about who we are bringing in.

You’re annoyingly sanguine for the time of year.

You’re right though. There’s clearly a fair bit to play out since we wouldn’t have delisted half a zillion blokes without some kind of strategy about who we are bringing in.

Seems pointless to panic about the trade period.
Essendon and Port were the big 'winners' last year and neither played finals.

We lost depth players in positions we have ... well depth.

If everyone's fit round 1, only Dean Kent makes my best 22 so we haven't lost anything of concern. We now have a back up for Max and there is still 3 days left. No worries for me at all.

Don’t go there. I’m struggling against my instincts based on strong historical data that we’re likely as not to stuff everything up.
I think we're like a recovering alcoholic. We're definitely getting our act together, going to our meetings, and we're on the right track, but we're prone to the occasional relapse...

Neither excited nor disappointed with this.

One of those general business trades you make for genuine insurance and tall options. If it means Gawn can either get a chop out and/or go forward that's not a bad thing.

Jacobs
Martin
Leunburger
Smith
McEvoy
Ryder
Nankervis
Sinclair
Longer
Boyd

Vardy Lycett Preuss etc

Gawn was meant to go early in his draft year though, just didn't bc of injuries and work rate concern. His talent was evident though.

Also Leuenburger, McEvoy, Ryder, Longer, and Boyd were all top 10 picks.

Am I the only one j***ing over him ragdolling Tmac with 1 arm? Tmac ain't a lightweight either at 100 kegs!
I remember that. He is very strong and with a Mumford style attitude. I think it’s a really interesting pickup and I look forward to seeing what we do with him and how it goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back