Player Watch #21: Jacob Townsend - JJ Liston Medalist 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

This kid is a fierce tackler. If he goes all in like this in training he may rub some noses the wrong way as most of our players can't tackle for CRAP.

Doubles as new tackling coach as well???

Why don't you rate the GWS system?

Because there's been players that are wanting out, you can't retain your talent and you seem to have a knack of delisting players that have gone on to other clubs and found a gear.

Players don't want to keep playing in front of 7k crowds in a place where footy doesn't belong.

Because there's been players that are wanting out, you can't retain your talent and you seem to have a knack of delisting players that have gone on to other clubs and found a gear.

Players don't want to keep playing in front of 7k crowds in a place where footy doesn't belong.
The vast majority are looking for opportunities... Townsend couldn't crack a spot in the midfield. They go to another club who need more midfielders. That's fair enough.
It actually proves that our system is very good... Miles is a perfect example. Couldn't get a spot I front of Ward,Treloar, Shiel etc, even though he can play. Goes to Tiges and look what happens.
Of course footy belongs in Western Sydney/NSW. All the clubs agree with this. As stated by members of other clubs, if you get a chance go to a game at Spotless. Attend the post match function and then make a judgement. I think it's a great young club with really good people involved.

a place where footy doesn't belong.

footy belongs everywhere, it is the greatest game on earth, and they've been playing it in the west of sydney since at least the 1920s

it is an indictment on the giants that their stadium isnt full, not the venerable suburban folk of the Big Smoke

The vast majority are looking for opportunities... Townsend couldn't crack a spot in the midfield. They go to another club who need more midfielders. That's fair enough.
It actually proves that our system is very good... Miles is a perfect example. Couldn't get a spot I front of Ward,Treloar, Shiel etc, even though he can play. Goes to Tiges and look what happens.
Of course footy belongs in Western Sydney/NSW. All the clubs agree with this. As stated by members of other clubs, if you get a chance go to a game at Spotless. Attend the post match function and then make a judgement. I think it's a great young club with really good people involved.

Fair enough boss, maybe not belong is a poor choice of words... But whether it will thrive, I doubt we'll see it in out lifetime.

The biggest mistake was appointing sheedy as senior coach for two years. He's a Dinosaur and probably cost you guys a year in development overall.

I'm not sure if all clubs really agree that it belongs in Western Sydney... They're just toeing the company line.

Fair enough boss, maybe not belong is a poor choice of words... But whether it will thrive, I doubt we'll see it in out lifetime.

The biggest mistake was appointing sheedy as senior coach for two years. He's a Dinosaur and probably cost you guys a year in development overall.

I'm not sure if all clubs really agree that it belongs in Western Sydney... They're just toeing the company line.

He was coach in name only imo

Your club has surprised me in its ability to retain the core of its young side coming through, must have some decent people in the background. I really expected a deluge of players returning to melb

Your club has surprised me in its ability to retain the core of its young side coming through, must have some decent people in the background. I really expected a deluge of players returning to melb
There are. In saying that I predict we will lose a couple more each year for the next two years due to lack of opportunity.

Wasn't that credited to craig lambert? Who has now left for brisbane again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are. In saying that I predict we will lose a couple more each year for the next two years due to lack of opportunity.

The real challenge for GC & GWS will be when free agency hits your youngsters and the Victorian clubs come hunting, Both GC & GWS are going to find it extremely hard to keep the wolves from the door and alot of cash is going to be thrown at these x-victorian kids that wouldnt mind coming home on big dollars

It will be the reverse of what GC/GWS did when you first joined and looted the players away
Watch out for SOS mate he has cleared the deck chairs and is getting rid of any player earning more that $200k thats not top shelf and front loading the likes of Gibbs,Kreuzer,Murphy,Cripps etc in 2 years he will have a shit load of TPP space to attract the kids and you know where he will be coming

On the richmond fc website there is a draft rewind for Townsend. Know it was a few years ago and it was against VFL teams but geez as an inside mid it was impressive.

Showed he can kick too

No wonder GWS went after him. Just based on those highlights, seems to be a lot to work with. Glad he's a Tiger, For Pick 70. Gotta love that....

WOW...I love this kids confidence...attack at the loose footy and opposition player with the footy...love his quick Shed-Like handballs...
Man cant wait to see this kid play and do his stuff within the team structures of a good footy side like the tigers!

footy belongs everywhere, it is the greatest game on earth, and they've been playing it in the west of sydney since at least the 1920s

it is an indictment on the giants that their stadium isnt full, not the venerable suburban folk of the Big Smoke
Im a tiger nsw interstate member so love to be able to go to games here and not hav to travel to melb as the only way to see the game live. For sheeds last game for gws against tigers in sydney they had a record crowd of 18000; admittedly all i could see was yellow and black; but it shows that AFL is strong in nsw and the game being played here gives us interstate supporters at least one opportunity to see our lads without having the expense of airfares and accommodation to cover

Im a tiger nsw interstate member so love to be able to go to games here and not hav to travel to melb as the only way to see the game live. For sheeds last game for gws against tigers in sydney they had a record crowd of 18000; admittedly all i could see was yellow and black; but it shows that AFL is strong in nsw and the game being played here gives us interstate supporters at least one opportunity to see our lads without having the expense of airfares and accommodation to cover

Did ya see Townsend breaking anyone's ribs or playing tackle in the bitumen carpark? Maybe he was chewing gravel and washing it back with some Blue Mountains Moonshine?

Did ya see Townsend breaking anyone's ribs or playing tackle in the bitumen carpark? Maybe he was chewing gravel and washing it back with some Blue Mountains Moonshine?

This post is incomplete........Just add Banjos...:p

This post is incomplete........Just add Banjos...:p
Here ya go Redneck.:p

k4ayvm.png

GWS' plan is long term. Which I like. They are trying to build something for 10-20 years. I reckon that they will be the third choice football code in western Sydney for a long time. But slowly building a core among 2.5 million people can produce a viable club. Along with that they should be able to build a genuine local talent pipeline and local leagues.

On GWS and Townsend. He's just competing with so many good youngsters. Little opportunity = cheap get for us. I hope he can fill that depth inside mid role. If he ends up as valuable as Miles I'll be so stoked. But by design GWS has to lose players as their list size drops and they have to draft. So they will lose good players of about Townsend's age not because they aren't good. They just aren't as good as the best guys from that draft. What I hope for a decent B grader that can fill the inside mid depth hole 2015 showed we have.

However if CEllis and Conca come on all fit and raring in 2016 Townsend might find it very hard. Both a very talented and like it inside. I would be totally stoked if Townsend can't get a game because the queue in front of him is so deep and good he has to play out of his skin to even get a look in. Any which way a decent cheap pick up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back