Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Caddy is a great - near AA - 3rd tall. What is more valuable the extra goals he kicks or Castagna’s pressure? With Caddy and Lynch pressure will drop off a lot vs 2017 but our scoring power grows I think more. In Dimma we trust.

He’s had an injury interrupted year. He’ll be fine and is definitely best 22
110% this, there’s no need to over complicate things.

I’m looking forward to him hitting his straps again and coming back into our best 22.

Hopefully that’s soon, it’d be great to work out his role in the team before finals and work out wether that role needs to change at all with Lynch and Jack both in the forwardline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubtless taken off because they are thinking of promoting him next week. Almost certainly cannot play as a third marking target forward if we want a second proper option in the ruck, because Riewoldt and Lynch are not going to be used in the ruck. So the emergence of Chol and the option of Balta as genuine second ruck/forward options means Caddy has to fit into the midfield. With Martin, Cotchin, Lambert, Edwards, Prestia, Ellis, Mcintosh, Bolton, Graham, and possibly Ross and Pickett to come and players like Naish and Baker around as well, and the likes of Stack who could be potentially used in the midfield, it is for Caddy to prove he can outplay a few of those for a midfield spot. The brains trust has clearly got something in mind but he is an exposed footballer Caddy and he has never made it yet as a pure midfielder at 3 different clubs. I think he may just end up as collateral damage to the Riewoldt and Lynch PCL injuries and fears meaning they won't be risked in the ruck.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if he’s got the tank to play wing.
He’s smart enough to get to the right spots and can score either foot, aggressive in the air and heavy enough to compete in the stoppages.
I reckon he’s a quicker thinker than Kmac and Ellis and naturally more creative and attacking.
It’s just whether or not he can move all day at good pace.
And sometimes he cheats a bit running forward he’d have to be a bit more responsible, covering for others if there’s a turnover.

take shorts spot ...
I haven't been that impressed with Short since his return. Over the last couple of weeks a GWS small kicked a couple on Egg & then Baker had a couple kicked on him on the weekend. Baker,Sheds, & Houli are all short and not really great defenders. But have played good, attacking footy. Pies game will be a different story. I think Short needs to play VFL for a while to find some touch. Caddy's spot is a worry. Our fwd line is gelling well. Chol is playing Caddy's fwd role and can pinch hit in the ruck. Chol is playing just well enough to hold his spot. Half fwd. When Caddy starts tearing it up, it will probably be Baker who goes out first. I love what both Caddy and Baker bring to the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back