Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubtless taken off because they are thinking of promoting him next week. Almost certainly cannot play as a third marking target forward if we want a second proper option in the ruck, because Riewoldt and Lynch are not going to be used int eh ruck. So the emergence of Chol and the option of Balta as genuine second ruck/forward options means Caddy has to fit into the midfield. With Martin, Cotchin, Lambert, Edwards, Prestia, Ellis, Mcintosh, Bolton, Graham, and possibly Ross and Pickett to come and players like Naish and Baker around as well, and the likes of Stack who could be potentially used int he midfield, it is for Caddy to prove he can outplay a few of those for a midfield spot. The brains trust has clearly got something in mind but he in an exposed footballer Caddy and he has never made it yet as a pure midfielder at 3 different clubs. I think he may just end up as collateral damage to the Riewoldt and Lynch PCL injuries and fears meaning they won't be risked in the ruck.
Never struck me as a genuine mid fielder either...he's too big errrr fat! and slow...but as a bustling physically intimidating forward terrific!!!
Even geelol knew that!

He played wing on the weekend in the VFL, so you would reason that they aim to run him through the wing at AFL. Caddy has something Ellis and MacIntosh do not have, class, and really good one on one ability. He is very good in the air, the perfect wingman, except for his lack of pace. Perhaps in burst he could play that roll resting forward.

I reckon he'll take Graham's spot this week ... spend time mid (to improve centre clearances and roaming a wing) .... probably either rest forward or back if he (when he) blows up ... reckon baker kerps his spot and coukd move to a pressure mid role if caddy isnt doing enough in that regard ... graham bit unlucky maybe just not enough strings to his bow atm

I reckon he'll take Graham's spot this week ... spend time mid (to improve centre clearances and roaming a wing) .... probably either rest forward or back if he (when he) blows up ... reckon baker kerps his spot and coukd move to a pressure mid role if caddy isnt doing enough in that regard ... graham bit unlucky maybe just not enough strings to his bow atm
Caddy will need to lift his defensive work rate if he’s to replace JG. Playing wing in the VFL is nothing in comparison to the pace at AFL.
Caddy in the midfield has always looked like he’s in slow motion compared to the other blokes.
Caddy to me is an impact player off the bench and a bit like a sub. I’m not sure AFL teams can carry these types anymore. I’m still in the belief Tom Lynch has taken his spot and Caddy doesn’t have the tricks or pace to play midfield or wing. Chol is even a much better option and also deserves to play ahead of him bc of his ruck traits and other characteristics he brings to our team. I’ve been looking to fit him in the team for weeks now, but can’t find an opening for him bc of his lack of pace and also lack of height to play ruck or forward.

Caddy will need to lift his defensive work rate if he’s to replace JG. Playing wing in the VFL is nothing in comparison to the pace at AFL.
Caddy in the midfield has always looked like he’s in slow motion compared to the other blokes.
Caddy to me is an impact player off the bench and a bit like a sub. I’m not sure AFL teams can carry these types anymore. I’m still in the belief Tom Lynch has taken his spot and Caddy doesn’t have the tricks or pace to play midfield or wing. Chol is even a much better option and also deserves to play ahead of him bc of his ruck traits and other characteristics he brings to our team. I’ve been looking to fit him in the team for weeks now, but can’t find an opening for him bc of his lack of pace and also lack of height to play ruck or forward.

I have been saying the same thing ( you know when we agree, a fairy dies, right?) Chol has taken Caddys spot and we need Chol for his ruck relief.

I reckon its Caddy v Graham for that last spot and on form (currently) its hard to split them.

Could be right TI...I'm prepared to give the fat feck the benefit of the doubt at the moment while we work out what is our best side to go through the Finals!
Interested to see what he produces when he plays his next game! Better be itimidation of the highest order! Can only see the fat fecker as a forward!

I have been saying the same thing ( you know when we agree, a fairy dies, right?) Chol has taken Caddys spot and we need Chol for his ruck relief.

I reckon its Caddy v Graham for that last spot and on form (currently) its hard to split them.
Yes we agreed last year on Baker and CEllis died. lol.

I said he was expendable in the trade thread and was shot down. He can’t fit into our forward line or midfield, so where does that leave him? If he wasn’t such good mates with everyone at the club - most notably Dion and Tom - then he would be on the trade table for mine.

He lacks pace and height and that’s really hurting him. On pure talent he’s probably top fifteen on our list, but we just don’t have room for him now with Lynch. If we put him in our forward line, we’re too top heavy and immobile. We also lose a sh*t load of forward pressure, which is critical to the way we play. In midfield he’s too slow. We can’t carry both him and Graham. We’d get torched at stoppages.

I’m not sure what to do with him. I wonder if the coaches can figure this one out. He doesn’t break into the team in my opinion but he’s too valuable to have in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said he was expendable in the trade thread and was shot down. He can’t fit into our forward line or midfield, so where does that leave him? If he wasn’t such good mates with everyone at the club - most notably Dion and Tom - then he would be on the trade table for mine.

He lacks pace and height and that’s really hurting him. On pure talent he’s probably top fifteen on our list, but we just don’t have room for him now with Lynch. If we put him in our forward line, we’re too top heavy and immobile. We also lose a sh*t load of forward pressure, which is critical to the way we play. In midfield he’s too slow. We can’t carry both him and Graham. We’d get torched at stoppages.

I’m not sure what to do with him. I wonder if the coaches can figure this one out. He doesn’t break into the team in my opinion but he’s too valuable to have in the VFL.

You raise valid points. As a mostly stay at home 2nd or 3rd tall his days are done with Lynch and now Chol/Balta coming on as 2nd rucks. He will have to redefine himself as a mid that goes forward or hes in trouble. Im glad the coaching staff have seen this, obviously spoken to him about it and given him a few weeks in the VFL to work on it.

Balls in his court

Caddy should continue to play midfield and be developed in that role in the VFL. The more midfield km we can get into his legs the better prepared he’ll be even if it’s playing a hf role in the 1s.
Offensively he’s such a dangerous player, but he needs to work his arse off to get other parts of his game up to scratch.

As mentioned by others Choly’s role as a forward/ 2nd ruck is the reason he’s not playing as a permanent medium/tall forward. Add to that Jack’s return and there’s no room for him as a permanent forward at the moment

Caddy should continue to play midfield and be developed in that role in the VFL. The more midfield km we can get into his legs the better prepared he’ll be even if it’s playing a hf role in the 1s.
Offensively he’s such a dangerous player, but he needs to work his arse off to get other parts of his game up to scratch.

As mentioned by others Choly’s role as a forward/ 2nd ruck is the reason he’s not playing as a permanent medium/tall forward. Add to that Jack’s return and there’s no room for him as a permanent forward at the moment
Cannot see Cholly taking Caddy's place in the team just yet! It's still early days yet as to offers the team the most! One thing Caddy has over Cholly is physical intimidation of oppo, can mark and is a good kick! Cholly can mark, can kick but physical intimidation of the oppo!?!? Nadda!!!
It's a question of working out who is the better for our team structure!

There’s an article on the AFL app explaining what Richmond did with him yesterday.

It’s an interesting read if anyone’s interested.

Not sure if he can do what Richmond want him to do but I probably wouldn’t be trialling him in a new position against Collingwood.

Give him another game in the VFL in the new position then trial it against Melbourne next week.

Caddy in defence? That's an odd decision.
I can kind of see it, he’s an absolutely brilliant mark, however like I said before I reckon give him an extra week in the vfl to get used to it then try it against Melbourne.

We’ve got to trial it sometime before finals may as well be against Melbourne.

There’s an article on the AFL app explaining what Richmond did with him yesterday.

It’s an interesting read if anyone’s interested.

Not sure if he can do what Richmond want him to do but I probably wouldn’t be trialling him in a new position against Collingwood.

Give him another game in the VFL in the new position then trial it against Melbourne next week.
So he played McIntosh's Uranus role. Interesting...

Maybe McIntosh will move into defence?

Dont mind the caddy wing/defense idea

could be a sicily type with his fantastic marking ability, he also plays above his height

Remove this Banner Ad

Back