Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

Not flashy today…but certainly didn’t go missing for huge parts of the game…..one to look at observe and learn from …on ya tom….we move on…

I can’t believe I endured the full replay once home from the game but endure I did and Powell was bloody good again. Carlton’s midfield had us for experience and our juniors were up against it but Powell can hold his head high. Same for LDU in the second half and Wardlaw when not off field having his ankle tended to.

I can’t believe I endured the full replay once home from the game but endure I did and Powell was bloody good again. Carlton’s midfield had us for experience and our juniors were up against it but Powell can hold his head high. Same for LDU in the second half and Wardlaw when not off field having his ankle tended to.
His hands weren't as clean today which rushed his disposal a bit, but another good growth game for him.

Was great. Never stopped trying and working. This is the big time now Tommy.
I must say on review of the tape Monday, there was a 50-50 ball that he lost that he wont be proud of. Was monstered out of it. Will learn from it. To his credit he didn't drop his head.

Plenty more improvement in Tom. Get bigger. Get better and show them how good you are kid.

Last edited:
For me, he is the biggest positive to come from a pretty ordinary year to date.
Smart footballer, who gets his hands on the footy.
There will be times this year when our midfield of LDU, Powell, Wardlaw & Sheez (who will move in there permanently very soon) will put opposition midfields to the sword.

Was great. Never stopped trying and working. This is the big time now Tommy.
I must say on review of the tape Monday, there was a 50-50 ball that he lost that he wont be proud off. Was monstered out of it. Will learn from it. To his credit he didn't drop his head.

Plenty more improvement in Tom. Get bigger. Get better and show them how good you are kid.

Was that the one with Kennedy?

Was that the one with Kennedy?
Correct. If one of our players did that, the highlight would be clipped and shared and going viral on socials.

Our boys are still boys. Carltons midfielders were bodybuilders compared to ours.

Correct. If one of our players did that, the highlight would be clipped and shared and going viral on socials.

Our boys are still boys. Carltons midfielders were bodybuilders compared to ours.
It’s what happens when you draft a bevy of small mids, both in frame and height.

You have to have they become monsters, or have insane Wardlaw level aggression

Most don’t.

Powell was good, but needs to be better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the replay with a keen eye to how we set up at stoppages. He gets caught a bit in no man's land when they get stoppage ascendancy. Looking forward to him and LDU working on that as they both are great accumulators.
I did notice this at times yesterday. Are we too attacking? Or are we not set up well enough to defend the spread, which is the story of our lives in modern footy for this club.

Plenty for Clarko to work on, especially as Tommy has only been a full time mid for 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I did notice this at times yesterday. Are we too attacking? Or are we not set up well enough to defence the spread, which is the story of our lives in modern footy.

Plenty for Clarko to work on, especially as Tommy has only been a full time mid for 3 weeks.

Yeah 💯 bro I'm trying not to be too hard on him with that in mind, and the fact that he can actually find the footy which is a plus.

Never in doubt. He got Nobled for a bit but he’s as a good a pure midfield prospect as we’ve had since Cunnington (not counting LDU and Wardlaw). Love his kicking for goal too: between Larkey, Curtis, Ford and Powell we have some very accurate goal kickers.

one of my favourite players at North melbourne.

My next door neighbour actually Barracks for North Melbourne and His SANFL club he was picked up at in Sturt.

Tom Powell is having a very good season.
He is starting to show what we saw glimpses of in 2021. Just needs to work a bit harder when the opposition have the ball, but I'm sure it'll come with time. He's averaging a goal and nearly 28 touches a game this year.

And you lot, second on the ladder! Hope you're enjoying it.

He is starting to show what we saw glimpses of in 2021. Just needs to work a bit harder when the opposition have the ball, but I'm sure it'll come with time. He's averaging a goal and nearly 28 touches a game this year.

And you lot, second on the ladder! Hope you're enjoying it.
Well he is going good so far. I dont know if he can keep this up for the whole season.

He might have the occasional 20 disposal game but that will be expected.

If he can still average 25 disposals a game and a goal a game.

As for being 2nd on the ladder... It's good.

My team has made finals 8 times out of 29 seasons. So not too many bright spots.

I will be happy just to take a 5th to 8th spot thos season or an Elim final this year.

Well he is going good so far. I dont know if he can keep this up for the whole season.

My team has made finals 8 times out of 29 seasons. So not too many bright spots.

I will be happy just to take a 5th to 8th spot thos season or an Elim final this year.
Selling your team a bit short. I predicted top four for you last year based on your midfield alone. While that didn’t work out last year, it is good to see some genuine improvement this year. Top 4 is a genuine chance.

I think it's fair to say every North supporter is in Freo's corner every time they're not playing us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back