Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember it well very well, back in the absolute low period of the saga, where the players had not long been suspended and we were playing a list that contained top ups and, worst of all, we had no idea if out good players would actually be back.

It was a ******* horrible feeling.

I remember it well, and I remember the speculation. I remember actual conversations I had about it with people. Saying that I was desperately worried we'd lose our good players, but hopeful they may stick around to stick it up the comp. I remember saying I was certain Heppell would come back, and I hoped Hurley would, but I wasn't sure. But Hooker was a goner. He simply had too much interest in him from other clubs, and being such a valuable player, in the exact "Hawforn" demographic as being the outstanding older player who presents a win/win to teams in the window and top notch players who want to jag a flag.

And then, out of the blue, with no fanfare, he was the first to re-sign (well, I think he was the second, but he was the first big one). Couldn't believe it. Then remembered the passion the guy shows on the field (kind of like the anti-carlisle) and I could believe it. But still. And there is no doubt in anyone's mind that he was the big domino. He made all the difference. From that moment on, we had a fighting chance to keep our stars. He displayed the traits of a true leader with that decision, both literally and figuratively, in that he led and others followed his example.

I had rationalised it all by doing the calculations and pretending we would be better off losing him - and maybe if it was just him we would have been. But as it turns out it wasn't just him. In my assessments I'd been 100% wrong on all counts. No Hooker, no Hurley. No Hooker, no Heppell. And so on. No doubt about it really.

I'd knight the big fella if I could

My argument is thus:

Hooker is an elite defender and a good forward (on available evidence). We take pick 2, give him 3-4 years to develop, and we might get someone as good as him.

My argument is thus:

Hooker is an elite defender and a good forward (on available evidence). We take pick 2, give him 3-4 years to develop, and we might get someone as good as him.
yep. And in terms of getting someone as good and as valuable from a structural pov, the odds would be vanishingly small

And then, out of the blue, with no fanfare, he was the first to re-sign (well, I think he was the second, but he was the first big one).
Third, after Hocking and Colyer.

But yes I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said.

Some things aren't measurable such as heart and soul, you don't rip those out of a team. Not to mention he is a bloody good footballer.

yep. And in terms of getting someone as good and as valuable from a structural pov, the odds would be vanishingly small

Throw in the fact that you would have to find someone like Hooker who obviously loves the club and actually refused to be traded and backed in his own form.

Wouldn't trade him re-signing for any player in the league.

If for some crazy reason Hooker's injury caused him to miss the first two rounds, and in those first two rounds a combo of Daniher-Stewart-Begley looked amazing up forward, is there any possible way we could fit Hooker into the back line?

Could Hooker and Hartley take the two key forwards with Hurley playing as an attacking third defender?

This is a guy that stayed with us after the club and supporters were shopping him off to Gold Coast for Caddy. He chose to stay with us again after the crap that was the last 4 years despite receiving a lucrative offer from Fremantle, a team fresh from winning a minor premiership. Again, people were talking about that compensation pick. He could've gone home and everyone would understand. Players leave clubs for way less than what he has been through at Essendon.
He pretty much gave away a chance at an individual award as an AA selection in 2015 after the club needed him up forward, and is doing the same again this year after the bans. Pick 2 is no certainty, but Hooker certainly is.

Hooker's decision to stay may have been a catalyst for other players to stay as well. People forget how much the club needed a positive story back then.

If I had the chance to do it again, I'd still choose Cale Hooker.

Arise, Sir Cale.
Arise, on the head's and shoulders of hapless defenders, and clunk. And if you ever have cause to wonder what you are doing down the forward line, remember you are there to kick bloody goals, that's what you are doing.
(And don't step on the corgie on the way out - the little bustard is recovering from a foot injury).

Arise, Sir Cale.
Arise, on the head's and shoulders of hapless defenders, and clunk. And if you ever have cause to wonder what you are doing down the forward line, remember you are there to kick bloody goals, that's what you are doing.
(And don't step on the corgie on the way out - the little bustard is recovering from a foot injury).
lol. is that the brayshaw quote from the Triple M commentary for the hawks game?

Gawd that was good.

If for some crazy reason Hooker's injury caused him to miss the first two rounds, and in those first two rounds a combo of Daniher-Stewart-Begley looked amazing up forward, is there any possible way we could fit Hooker into the back line?

Could Hooker and Hartley take the two key forwards with Hurley playing as an attacking third defender?
How amazing would it be if Daniher and Stewart both kicked bags and Hooker could play where he belongs. oh man

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back