Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like a compo pick
I wouldn't want Pick 2 because it'd mean we finished last and **** that
FA compensation is ridiculous and the sooner it's gone the better
Yes. I want pick 3.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-19/off-the-hook

tl;dr AFL journo thinks we should let Hooker leave to essentially get pick 2.

To AFL journo I say "**** off"
I'm pretty sure Nick Bowen isn't the usual Essendon-designated AFL reporter. It's usually Cal Twomey or Peter Ryan. Bowen's opinions on where we are as a club, as a team and as a list are entirely moot as far as I'm concerned.

In the last five years, we've finished;
2011 - 8th
2012 - 11th (injuries)
2013 - 9th (excluded from finals)
2014 - 7th
2015 - 17th edit: 15th (did great until the WADA appeal)

I don't think its delusional to say we would have done a hell of a lot better if not for the injuries, sanctions, stress and mental strain associated with the saga. I don't personally believe we have any need of a rebuild as long as we retain our suspended players beyond 2016.

We are not Melbourne or Carlton, and I'll be damned if we're looking to them for advice on how to handle anything related to list management. #standbydodoro

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Nick Bowen isn't the usual Essendon-designated AFL reporter. It's usually Cal Twomey or Peter Ryan. Bowen's opinions on where we are as a club, as a team and as a list are entirely moot as far as I'm concerned.

In the last five years, we've finished;
2011 - 8th
2012 - 11th (injuries)
2013 - 9th (excluded from finals)
2014 - 7th
2015 - 17th (did great until the WADA appeal)

I don't think its delusional to say we would have done a hell of a lot better if not for the injuries, sanctions, stress and mental strain associated with the saga. I don't personally believe we have any need of a rebuild as long as we retain our suspended players beyond 2016.

We are not Melbourne or Carlton, and I'll be damned if we're looking to them for advice on how to handle anything related to list management. #standbydodoro
I admire your optimism, but I'm not too sure. I can see this list hovering in the 8, maybe win a final or two, then go down again. I don't see it as a premiership list, not that they can't win one.

It really does depend on how the ban has affected them, and if we can retain key players. Plus, we've lost Crameri, Carlisle, Ryder and probably Watson since that 2013 season. All were not only best 22, but arguably top 10 as well. Certainly not fringe players. We could have performed better in those years without the factors that you have mentioned, but I don't think it relates to how we will perform in the future.

It takes only one of Hurley or Hooker to leave for the backline to colapse as well.
So while you have a point, I can see where Bowen is coming from

I admire your optimism, but I'm not too sure. I can see this list hovering in the 8, maybe win a final or two, then go down again. I don't see it as a premiership list, not that they can't win one.

It really does depend on how the ban has affected them, and if we can retain key players. Plus, we've lost Crameri, Carlisle, Ryder and probably Watson since that 2013 season. All were not only best 22, but arguably top 10 as well. Certainly not fringe players. We could have performed better in those years without the factors that you have mentioned, but I don't think it relates to how we will perform in the future.

It takes only one of Hurley or Hooker to leave for the backline to colapse as well.
So while you have a point, I can see where Bowen is coming from
I'm not arguing that we're premiership material, I just don't think Bowen's views gel with the actions or stated intentions of the club, nor are they consistent with the commentary that the list deserves based on clubs with lists of comparable talent.

I agree that our list is probably more similar to the level of Port, Collingwood or Richmond who have been hovering around the middle of the table for a while. I don't think any reporter is saying 'several rebuilding years' about them.

On a club level I would be more inclined to look at how successful clubs (Hawthorn, Geelong, West Coast) handle their list management - we need normal list turnover, improved mental health, improved coaching, the occasional mini-rebuild...

Not a full-on, Carlton-esque, copy Melbourne's free agency handling, dump all our best players, change our coaches faster than our underwear, tank repeatedly and get 10-15 top five picks over the next decade type of rebuild.

I'm not arguing that we're premiership material, I just don't think Bowen's views gel with the actions or stated intentions of the club, nor are they consistent with the commentary that the list deserves based on clubs with lists of comparable talent.

I agree that our list is probably more similar to the level of Port, Collingwood or Richmond who have been hovering around the middle of the table for a while. I don't think any reporter is saying 'several rebuilding years' about them.

On a club level I would be more inclined to look at how successful clubs (Hawthorn, Geelong, West Coast) handle their list management - we need normal list turnover, improved mental health, improved coaching, the occasional mini-rebuild...

Not a full-on, Carlton-esque, copy Melbourne's free agency handling, dump all our best players, change our coaches faster than our underwear, tank repeatedly and get 10-15 top five picks over the next decade type of rebuild.
Yes I agree with that. A mini, natural list turnover is what we need.

I will be devastated if Hooker leaves. He has become my favourite Essendon player for the passion that he shows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our best and most important player IMO. We should be doing everything to keep him even if a high compo pick was on the table.
This, however I fear that when there's smoke, there's water.......... and.. fire in the sky.

The only reason people are saying he's likely to leave is because he's from WA and they assume the go home factor applies. You've really got to question whether a bloke who has lived in Melbourne for 9-10 years is suddenly going to pull up stumps and move 3000 kilometers away because he went to school in Perth.

The only reason people are saying he's likely to leave is because he's from WA and they assume the go home factor applies. You've really got to question whether a bloke who has lived in Melbourne for 9-10 years is suddenly going to pull up stumps and move 3000 kilometers away because he went to school in Perth.
If a respectable journalist with an understanding of Hooker, our team in general, and our specific situation were to report on it, I'd take more notice. So far its just newbie/arseh*le reporters getting cheap headlines for the HTB to salivate over.

Also because he's a free agent and Freo are presumably offering him a lot of money and could offer him a realistic crack at a flag.

Also because he's a free agent and Freo are presumably offering him a lot of money and could offer him a realistic crack at a flag.
you missed today's game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back