Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Hates getting beaten in a contest or dropping marks. The seething rage that builds up is wonderful to watch. Heā€™s no Scotty Lucas down there but heā€™s a forward now and has the aggressive mindset required. Big season coming for the beast.

Also, another insightful comment from Damien Barrett

ESSENDON
If
we were in charge of this team ...

then
Hooker would be played down back. Every. Single. Week.
If
I was in charge of a column on the official AFL website...

Then
I'd put more effort in than filling a ******* spreadsheet with incoherent clauses every week

That wasnā€™t the handball where he took a mark and didnā€™t move off his line and somehow Sloane who was right behind him knocked his arm? Thought that shouldā€™ve been 50.

Four contested marks inside fwd 50 and was in top 5 in the League last season, heā€™s become a terrific and very dangerous forward. Match up nightmare and huge help to Stewart and Daniher.

Can't believe the Umpired missed that. It was a clear 50
It wasnā€™t a 50. If youā€™re on the mark, you can impede. Hooker needed to take one step behind the mark to give himself space. But you canā€™t fault his desire to quickly give it to runners. He did similar earlier and I think it led to a goal.

It wasnā€™t a 50. If youā€™re on the mark, you can impede. Hooker needed to take one step behind the mark to give himself space. But you canā€™t fault his desire to quickly give it to runners. He did similar earlier and I think it led to a goal.
Sloane was behind Hooker ie behind the mark

Disagree Sloane came over the Mark clear 50 .

On paper, Hooker has done well as a forward. In practice, Iā€™m not sure our forward line functions well enough with Daniher, Hooker, and Stewart down there. Hurley doesnā€™t do enough defending as he plays a high risk high reward game. Hooker down back would free him up as we look panicky at the moment (although they were bombarded).

Every time we win I convince myself that Hooker forward is OK and working, but doubts always return when he has a Hooker moment or we lose. Iā€™m just never going to be fully convinced, I suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been more than happy with Hooker as a forward. I think he has good instincts, is a great mark and even though he isn't a good kick for goal he works within his limitations. Nevertheless, the team would likely be better served by him playing in defence. We have a range of very capable tall and medium-sized forwards but we have poor defensive depth.

Daniher, Stewart and Stringer is a nice collection of tall up forward. Hurley, Hooker and Hartley would be more than serviceable down back.

Wanting Hooker back is not a slight on him forward, it is what our team needs. We're too tall up forward and Stringer is not a mid. I'd also like to see Stringer given an elongated run as a forward with Daniher there and Stewart hitting up the ball. Two small forwards and a mid.

Hooker back also means that Hurley takes a man. Hurley is a more effective player beating a man and getting 15 possessions than he is playing loose and getting 25+ touches. Then we play one intercept marker (Gleeson or Francis if he miraculously turns it around), two small defenders plus a midfielder.

Doss can I get mod powers for this thread? I would like to delete the accounts of anyone who says anything slightly negative about Cale. Does this mean I need to comb threads all over BigFooty and get all keyboard warrior on anyone speaking harshly of the great man?

Who's said something negative about him? It's always about the coaches.

Has to go back, he just has to.

If a forward line of Daniher, Stewart, Stringer, Fantasia, Tipungwuti + other can't function without Hooker then there are bigger problems.

Hooker is a consted mark beast he would chop off so many forward 50 entries in a 1v1 also it will release Hurley to play that sweeping role.

Sounds like bigfooty consensus. Hooker back. No slight on his skills as a fwd, more a slight on Stringer as a mid and us being too tall when String rests fwd with JD, Stew and Hooker all there already. Plus our backline has been rubbish lately.
Blood kids in the mids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back